ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

"BRAKE" + DSC illuminated in yellow after a missed shift.

What does this combination of lights mean? After missing 2nd and hitting redline when out of gear (engaged the clutch and applied throttle before 2nd fully engaged), the car beeped and illuminated these lights. Tapping the DSC button did nothing, and the car's power was notably reduced. Both lights disappeared after restarting the engine.

"BRAKE" was in yellow just like the DSC light; the parking brake was down, of course, and the word turned red when I applied the parking brake just before turning off the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

was everything back to normal after you rebooted the car?
      07-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes, lights were immediately back to normal (off) after restarting it (left it off for just 15 seconds or so). I was right near home, so I only tested a run through 1st gear, which seemed to have pretty good power. 'course, I may be greeted by the return of the lights tomorrow morning after more driving...the car was running for a few minutes after restarting without them coming back, but not very long.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pulled code P1633, which is apparently "Throttle Valve Adaptation". Not sure if it was caused by this event. The check engine / SES light did NOT illuminate.

When it happened, I figured the most likely thing was that the car thought the clutch was engaged to the driveline, and completely flipped out when the engine revved without any of the wheels spinning faster. E.g., detecting a fault in the wheel speed sensors. If that is true, it shouldn't come back, but I thought it was an odd choice of lights to display in this situation.

That said, maybe I need to do something about P1633? Two days at the track coming up in less than two weeks...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Same thing happened to me on track. Don't ask how, but I was at limiter
of third gear and found second instead of forth...luckily
I did not let clutch all the way out.

Brake light was yellow and cleared after restart but car went IntO a self protection mode and lowered rev limiter to 6k till I cleared Soft code from ecu...forget the code off top of my head. Luckily only damage done was to my ego and the stress I caused myself thinking I bent a valve.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

same thing happened to me when the clutch was gone last year.....
Appreciate 0