ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

My Next Mod. What do you guys think?

https://racereadyperformance.com/Cutout_Kit_Dual.html

I just spoke with a local shop and they said that they have done one for a m coupe and there was a small power even when its not open because you bypass one of the cats.

What do you guys think? Anyone here have them? Any sound vids you can share?
      06-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

These cars are touchy enough as it is in terms of Codes and stuff.....save the money for a more substantiated mod.....like headers or a tune.....just saying
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the mod does not effect/throw any codes, the only cat it bypasses is the unmonitored one. Also I would be spending over double on headers/tune and still not get the sound I want nor the convenience to turn it off when I want. =)
      06-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

thats funny, I was doing research into the best, non leaky bypasses and this was the brand I came up with wanting. I'd love to see how your install turns out, and how much it costs.

I think I found the full kit for about $500, and I'd think the install would be another $200-$300 on top of that. Too bad I don't know of any exhaust shops down here in Ft. Lauderdale

In terms of sound, youtube videos of z4m with no mufflers, should sound like that! Hope there is room in the exhaust for this kit, as some of the pipes are oval in shape
      06-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
thats funny, I was doing research into the best, non leaky bypasses and this was the brand I came up with wanting. I'd love to see how your install turns out, and how much it costs.

I think I found the full kit for about $500, and I'd think the install would be another $200-$300 on top of that. Too bad I don't know of any exhaust shops down here in Ft. Lauderdale

In terms of sound, youtube videos of z4m with no mufflers, should sound like that! Hope there is room in the exhaust for this kit, as some of the pipes are oval in shape
It may be a few months but I will let you know. I have told the shop I want to get in and out for $500 or less. I am buying a house this year so I have to keep the car expenses low. Good news for me is the guy who had it on his M coupe took it off and hes selling it to me.
      06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
the mod does not effect/throw any codes, the only cat it bypasses is the unmonitored one. Also I would be spending over double on headers/tune and still not get the sound I want nor the convenience to turn it off when I want. =)
The cat will only be unmonitored IF you don't get free flowing headers. Once you get headers you have to move the O2s past the cats to avoid CELs.

Still interested in seeing how this mod goes for you though. The idea of pressing a switch and going from normal to obnoxiously loud is tempting haha
      06-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Im gonna try and get a quote tmrw
      06-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the switch sells it for me! Wife in the car... quiet as can be... me in the car hitting the bendz!!! The devil will becoming out of the back end!!!
haha
      06-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Heres a vid that would be similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQryFZ8sk8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
      06-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Do you know where exactly it was installed on the mcoupe you mentioned?
      06-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you know where exactly it was installed on the mcoupe you mentioned?
no sorry,
Here's the link to the you tube vid again I tried to post that on my iphone and as you can see it did not work...

06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Isn't that a muffler with a valve in it, as opposed to bypassing the muffler?
      06-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
Isn't that a muffler with a valve in it, as opposed to bypassing the muffler?
That KKS setup cost over 3k. I like to see how the bypass is installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

yeah thats what I assumed. I'll see if we can put my car on a lift tomorrow and figure out a location
      06-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

at around 4:20 is exactly what my car sounds like under full throttle!

Davez4 is currently running no cats and one aeroturbine (refer to his thread for an explanation) and it is epic sounding under load. Almost no drone compared to my car which has euro cats. Be prepared if your going catless, the sound becomes MUCH more raw in the best and worst way, think race car. Its not really the best time but im sure Dave will eventually do a write up of his setup and his impressions, when his car issues are sorted out.

Im loving this idea of the exhaust cutout and anxious to see how it comes out. Good luck guys
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Ok got some info. The problem with putting a Y-pipe on an exhaust is that when its closed, you have a section of your exhaust that runs into a closed off wall, which kinda screws up the airflow. Plus clearance issues.

A local exhaust shop told me the best kit they installed was a low profile oval shape cutout, that didn't have a y-pipe to deal with, as it cuts directly into existing pipe. Its made by QTP or something, which isn't the BEST brand. So I found a company that makes a reliable high quality oval style cutout, I'll be ordering the kit very soon. I was told its about $50 to $75 to weld it on, but I have to do the wiring myself, or pay someone else to do it. They're strictly exhaust (American Custom Exhaust in Ft. Lauderdale).

Check this out

these are the ones the shop installed http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/p...utout-kit.aspx
these are the superior ones according to my quick searches http://marylandspeed.com/dmh-low-pro...ut-p-1313.html

Last edited by ZStig; 06-22-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok got some info. The problem with putting a Y-pipe on an exhaust is that when its closed, you have a section of your exhaust that runs into a closed off wall, which kinda screws up the airflow. Plus clearance issues.

A local exhaust shop told me the best kit they installed was a low profile oval shape cutout, that didn't have a y-pipe to deal with, as it cuts directly into existing pipe. Its made by QTP or something, which isn't the BEST brand. So I found a company that makes a reliable high quality oval style cutout, I'll be ordering the kit very soon. I was told its about $50 to $75 to weld it on, but I have to do the wiring myself, or pay someone else to do it. They're strictly exhaust (American Custom Exhaust in Ft. Lauderdale).

Check this out

these are the ones the shop installed http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/p...utout-kit.aspx
these are the superior ones according to my quick searches http://marylandspeed.com/dmh-low-pro...ut-p-1313.html
Interesting thanks for the info. I have a local shop that has done one on an M coupe and they had to do some custom pipeing but the system was QTP. They said it worked great and said nothing about the quality. I am not sure if the difference in price would be worth it. Ill do some searching on my own as well and let you know what I find. I have also heard that doing this could cause a loss of back pressure but I don't see it. If you did do the other Y pipe option, even though the flow would be a bit different it may aid in retaining back pressure, yes/no?
      06-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
Interesting thanks for the info. I have a local shop that has done one on an M coupe and they had to do some custom pipeing but the system was QTP. They said it worked great and said nothing about the quality. I am not sure if the difference in price would be worth it. Ill do some searching on my own as well and let you know what I find. I have also heard that doing this could cause a loss of back pressure but I don't see it. If you did do the other Y pipe option, even though the flow would be a bit different it may aid in retaining back pressure, yes/no?
When the cutout is OPEN, the Y-pipe flows fine, I'm sure, its when its closed thats the concern for me with turbulance.

I ordered the DMH kit, but it might take as long as a month to get shipped

I'd be installing it after the stock x-pipe, before the mufflers. I'll also dyno test it
      06-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nice, do an audio on the exhaust as well I would like to hear it.