ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Anyone have a DIY on wheel bearings?

Mine passanger side has gone down the way side and I need a new one. I know they're press fit and I have a press but never done one on a Z before.

Thanks
Phill
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

If you wait a week I'll do one. I will be doing the bearings this weekend if I am home. If not look on you tube. There is a video of a 330i which has the same bearings as us. I have a link saved on another computer, I believe on an E46 forum of the write up. If you google it you will find it.
      06-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Get on ebay and order the TIS disk. Kinda like a less user friendly Hanes Manual for BMW's. If you know wheel bearings then you need just need a little more or the particuliars, torques, etc.
Good Luck
Bruce
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Mine is still in the mail so it'll be a min. I'm hoping this weekend to do this so we'll see if it gets here. I saw the one on the 330i on youtube but was unsure if it was the same bearing.

This is what I get on the TIS

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/66/53

. . . nothing. . .
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Parts arrived today.

Here is a write up on another forum.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610725
      06-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I got my TIS in the mail and holy hell is that complicated, also there was NOTHING on the disk about bearings, entered inthe year make and model under noises but bearings weren't there. Oh well, I'm doin mine today here in a few so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well i did I changed out my bearing today and holy ISH! Took WAY longer than it needed to. I had to remove they entire rear control arm hub assembly together and the half-shaft!

Oh well, its so smooth now but it was a MAJOR PITA! The next one will go smoother now that I know what to do!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Why did you have to remove the control arm hub assembly? I did both of my fronts on saturday. Biggest pain was trying to get the puller on the inner race. Once I found the right setup it came right off. The drivers side was not toast but decided to do it anyways and the inner race came off smoothly without the puller.
      06-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate96 View Post
Why did you have to remove the control arm hub assembly? I did both of my fronts on saturday. Biggest pain was trying to get the puller on the inner race. Once I found the right setup it came right off. The drivers side was not toast but decided to do it anyways and the inner race came off smoothly without the puller.
I did the right rear, not the fronts.
Appreciate 0