ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Increasing 3.0i Performance

OK, I know there have been some opinions shared on various mods like air intake and exhaust before, but I would like to know what are my best options without getting too crazy. I am going to be picking up some Michelin PSSs this summer, though realize that's not so much of a performance thing.

Specifically, what's the best bang for the buck for air intakes, exhaust, etc when it comes to simply increasing performance. I am open to any ideas as long as they are not thousands of dollars.

Yes, I know, get an si or an M. I will likely move to an si in the next year or two but for now, I'm sticking with the i. I love my Deep Metallic Green with tan soft top and interior and I don't believe you an get an M like that.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Unfortunately the best bang for your buck is a supercharger kit from ESStuning
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I think he has an N52 model which there are no real FI options for as are blocks can’t take it.

on the other hand I’ve converted my I into and SI as far as performance goes on my N52, not sure if you’re up to date on the current events, getting dynoed here on the 22nd, but after installing the 3 stage manifold, around $250 from the junk yard will yield 10 HP dyno proven,

and now I’m running the SI engine programming on my I thanks to ESS for reverse engineering my ECU,(currently not available to buy yet) so I should be spot on for SI HP numbers so there is no reason to upgrade to an SI after the upgraded parts are installed on your car.

the only part is if you have an automatic the SI has a better torque converter, but you (at least if I remember correctly) have a better gear ratio if you’re a stick then no worries at all.

once I get the dyno with the stock programming done, then ESS will add their SI tuning map to that netting another 10 to 15 HP over the standard SI.

so I hope for good things. so far cars drives great and no codes at all.

best bang for the buck is the 3 stage manifold swap at this point as you recive 10 HP to the wheels for $250 or close to that, ive seen as low as 100 and others for 300, their are many on car-part.com
better numbers than any intake can give.

after that the ECU when its available which should get you up to SI levels or go further and get the tuned vertion for 10 or 15 over SI levels so its a total of over 40HP just doing that.

all that for under a grand.

Last edited by -c-; 06-09-2012 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I think he has an N52 model which there are no real FI options for as are blocks can’t take it.

on the other hand I’ve converted my I into and SI as far as performance goes on my N52, not sure if you’re up to date on the current events, getting dynoed here on the 22nd, but after installing the 3 stage manifold, around $250 from the junk yard will yield 10 HP dyno proven,

and now I’m running the SI engine programming on my I thanks to ESS for reverse engineering my ECU,(currently not available to buy yet) so I should be spot on for SI HP numbers so there is no reason to upgrade to an SI after the upgraded parts are installed on your car.

the only part is if you have an automatic the SI has a better torque converter, but you (at least if I remember correctly) have a better gear ratio if you’re a stick then no worries at all.

once I get the dyno with the stock programming done, then ESS will add their SI tuning map to that netting another 10 to 15 HP over the standard SI.

so I hope for good things. so far cars drives great and no codes at all.

best bang for the buck is the 3 stage manifold swap at this point as you recive 10 HP to the wheels for $250 or close to that, ive seen as low as 100 and others for 300, their are many on car-part.com
better numbers than any intake can give.

after that the ECU when its available which should get you up to SI levels or go further and get the tuned vertion for 10 or 15 over SI levels so its a total of over 40HP just doing that.

all that for under a grand.
Yes, I have been following your posts on this, however, it sounds like a whole lot more involvement than I really have time for. Maybe once all of the bugs are worked out I would consider but this may be a little beyond my knowledge base and available time at this point.

I will keep following your plans though. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

When I had a 3.0, I upgraded the diff to a more aggressive one from the automatic e46 cars (3.46?), and installed lightweight seats and battery. made a difference
      06-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oops double post
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Darn cell phones! Anyway cool to hear, if you ever attempt it feel free to drop me a line and I'll help you out, it's not as hard as you think and can have the new manifold on their in about and hour and a half. The ecu is just a plug and play operation and you won't have to send out the ecu. I'll keep you posted as events happen I will know more after the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Well you could always get the programmer from ESS that will help with getting a few more hp,

http://www.esstuning.com/products/N5...-Software.html
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0