ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
davidoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Headliner Repair - Sagging

The headliner on my 2003 Z4 is sagging above seats area and over the rollbars.

Best I can tell by peaking into the gap around the top and with my fingers, there are plastic brackets attached to the headliner and then these plastic brackets (flat trim brackets) are attached by small screws to the top rail frames. The plastic brackets appear to have let the screws pull through. I want to try a DIY to repair the brackets to functionality, maybe just grip washers around the screwheads?

Does anybody have instructions on how to remove the headliner to get to these brackets and screws. Or a better repair?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Bump! I'm surprised I couldn't find another similar thread.

I purchased an M Roadster which exhibits the same issue the OP is experiencing. Are there any fixes that have been documented on the forums?

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
dlturpin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 3251

Headliner Fix

I did my on my 2006 Z4M. The hard part of the process is getting the plastic piece off right above your head. The tabs that hold it in place are easily broken off. When I bought my car someone had already broke a few tabs so I purchased a new one. Once the plastic piece is off you will see that the liner has a black plastic strip that attaches to the convertible top shell by these little screws. The headliner pulls loose from these screws and will sag. I did mine 2 1/2 years ago and has not pulled loose yet. Easy to do once the large plastic piece is off. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 12:16 AM   #4
faritz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

On my Coupe almost the whole headlining fell down on a hot day making the car undrive-able needing a quick...now permanent, fix.
Remedy: pushing the headlining up to where it was and adding 30 or more short self tapping screws ... preferably stainless of course...and/or paint them black.
Cause: The material has (had) a one mm foam rubber backing. The foam crumbles. It was stuck into hard styrofoam sound proofing which takes screws nicely..
Rolling the car may plant a short screw in your skull. Take the risk.
Appreciate 0