ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
jazztraveler
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M, 1998 BMW E36 M3

Nav screen wont flip up

First Post and new to the forum, apologies if covered previously. I am having a problem with my nav screen that will not flip up and staying in place. I don't use it because its ancient but I want it fixed. I am aware of company in California (http://www.hitechserv.com/) that will fix for 500.00+ but I am not sure it is worth it. I am frustrated because its useless nav but I need the ability to control functions of car and or even set the time date etc. Can anyone offer any guidance? Are there any guides to assist in replacing motor for nav? Any other companies that offer cost effective options? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztraveler View Post
First Post and new to the forum, apologies if covered previously. I am having a problem with my nav screen that will not flip up and staying in place. I don't use it because its ancient but I want it fixed. I am aware of company in California (http://www.hitechserv.com/) that will fix for 500.00+ but I am not sure it is worth it. I am frustrated because its useless nav but I need the ability to control functions of car and or even set the time date etc. Can anyone offer any guidance? Are there any guides to assist in replacing motor for nav? Any other companies that offer cost effective options? Thanks.
Do you hear sounds of motors or clicking when you hit the button to raise the monitor?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
bamarider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 black z4 with 6 speed

I've got the same problem, pulled mine out of the dash last night. My problem is the plastic screen case is cracked around the drive motor, so hoping I can epoxy it back togeather and get working for now. I'm like you wish there was and alternative to the nav. unit. You can set the time with the buttons below the speedometer
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
jazztraveler
Rep

Yes, I have sounds. I have been looking for a tear down for a few years on potential components or parts that could have failed and/or be replaced. I would like to get this operational without taking the $350 - 750 hit for something that is archaic and does not work that well.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
It's a shame the aftermarket but OEM appearing pieces for the x3 don't work for our cars. I think an original pac man arcade machine has better graphics than our navi's
      03-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

I've always wondered if there is away of keeping the nav screen up all the time, even when you turn the car off. I don't see the point of it constantly flipping up and down. And this way the motor won't break and it'll stay open all the time.

Thanks

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Jazz,

Check out this thread:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65614

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
Arsonism158.00
      03-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_130i_oz View Post
I've always wondered if there is away of keeping the nav screen up all the time, even when you turn the car off. I don't see the point of it constantly flipping up and down. And this way the motor won't break and it'll stay open all the time.

Thanks
Mine stays down, unless i require it. no up and down flipping for me.
      03-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne
Quote:

Thanks
Mine stays down, unless i require it. no up and down flipping for me.
Thanks Vanne. How did you do it?

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Thanks Vanne. How did you do it?
You can keep it close, but it will pop back up as soon as you hit any button on the radio

You can probably try to find the power source for the motor and put an in-line switch on it to keep it open.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

If only I knew enough about cars to do that I def would :

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 03:25 AM   #12
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

If only I knew enough about cars to do that I def would :

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
jazztraveler
Rep

Thanks

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Jazz,

Check out this thread:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65614

Salty
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Yes, I have sounds. I have been looking for a tear down for a few years on potential components or parts that could have failed and/or be replaced. I would like to get this operational without taking the $350 - 750 hit for something that is archaic and does not work that well.
Hm...

I had this same problem too, one time.

Fired up the Moupe and noticed the screen's not flipping up, but just the sound of the motor. Thought I'd have to go on living without the screen (which I don't mind nor care), or shell out big bucks to get it fixed. Went for a few days like this, half not caring, half p*ssed that my "pristine" Moupe, which, up to this point, has had absolutely ZERO mechanical issues, even well past the warranty period, has finally popped its cherry and is now a full fledged BMW...Break My Wallet.

For sh*ts and giggles, when it bothered me enough, I tried pressing the monitor up/monitor down button just to listen to the motor spinning uselessly. I was ALMOST ready to accept my fate, that ordering any car with NAV just because I have a hard-on for NAV is just plain stupid...I decided to push the up/down arrow on the LEFT side of the display just for fun.

Of course, it did nothing but to make more motor noise in a shorter interval. In frustration I stabbed at the bottom/down arrow a bunch a times, and all of a sudden the monitor moved a hair. Hm...Let's see what happens when I keep pressing the down button. Motor sounds like it's stopped against something, the monitor looked like it wants to move...Then I pressed the monitor UP button, and the monitor flipped up like 1/2".

I kept repeating the process. pressing the up and down button, and the monitor would move accordingly, then try either the monitor fully up and fully down button to see if it reset. Finally, when I manually positioned the monitor to the full "up" position by using the left arrows, then down to the closed, then cycled it all the way back up, the right hand side buttons did what it's suppose to do...close the monitor when pressed for down, raise it all the way up when pressed for up.

Somehow that sequence of button dance reset a sensor or something.

So if your NAV monitor is stuck on the down position, but the motor still works, you may want to try and press the buttons on the left and see if it eventually catches something and moves the monitor. If it does, then I think there's a shot at bringing it back to life.

Unless, of course, it's making some nasty crunching sounds like plastic gears/levers being broken up and grounded up by the motor. If it's making THAT sound, it's probably dead for good.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I think mine's starting to go.
About 3 times in the last month it didn't raise, but did as soon as I hit the right up button.
Last time it happened I noticed it went up just a smidge, then stopped, like it sensed too much torque and aborted.
This morning it went up just fine, but was completely black. Recovered after I hit the menu button a few times.
Seems like it was either very slow to boot or failed to boot and had to retry a few times.