ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

stereo wiring help?

I'll try a new subject line. Does anyone know the wiring I'd use coming from the front end that I would use for a DSP unit? This is for an '07 Z4 with Nav. and the Carver 10 speaker system.

Thanks!

EDIT: to clarify what I was looking for... I've seen the wiring diagrams but I guess I was looking for some tips from anyone that might have used the audio signal coming from the head unit instead of the signal going out the amp to the speakers.

Last edited by DaveJB; 03-30-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I think the reason you are getting zero response is because not many mess with the stock audio system on these cars.
If anything, guys gut the OEM system and start from scratch due to BMW making it so difficult to integrate into the electronics.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Understood. Some people have done it though, maybe more importantly someone can point me to the wiring diagram I guess. I can't find what I need all over the dang internets.

I have been doing my own car audio since the late 80's so am fairly knowledgeable. Also, the way that they've shaped the factory radio and trim around it removes any interest I have in an aftermarket head unit (aftermarket HU's look bad in this car) besides the fact it will break the Navi display and functions. Man, I would be done already if i were willing to add an aftermarket head unit.

There's a whole world of DSP's made specifically for what I'm trying to do and I have a few that I'm ready to buy, I just need information about the signal coming from the front end.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

There was a guy around by the name of Shipkiller who had a site with an amazing amount of info about these cars specifically the electronics. He got tired of ignorant internet people and took the site down.
You may be able to search to find some info.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Well damn, that's a good lead! He's still active (new post a week ago) on bimmer forums. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Bill's Web Space Sub Install has oodles of information:
http://www.billswebspace.com/MZ4Subw...stallation.htm

Here's a link to his detailed A18 Amplifier Pinout (this is gold!)
http://www.billswebspace.com/A18amplifier.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Bill's Web Space Sub Install has oodles of information:
http://www.billswebspace.com/MZ4Subw...stallation.htm

Here's a link to his detailed A18 Amplifier Pinout (this is gold!)
http://www.billswebspace.com/A18amplifier.htm
ROFL, literally, that's a tab open on my web browser already. I've been drooling over this webpage for the last half hour or so, but Bill's webpage is one of the first things I stumbled onto a couple months ago when I first got my car. I have probably been to his site about 50 different times. Sometimes at work I've got down time and I just cruise through his write-ups.

Nonetheless, thanks for helping
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
ROFL, literally, that's a tab open on my web browser already. I've been drooling over this webpage for the last half hour or so, but Bill's webpage is one of the first things I stumbled onto a couple months ago when I first got my car. I have probably been to his site about 50 different times. Sometimes at work I've got down time and I just cruise through his write-ups.

Nonetheless, thanks for helping
If you're going to go ahead with the MS-8, you may want to (gulp) read through the 400+ page thread on it at diymobileaudio.com if you haven't already. I had my MS-8 system installed for almost a year and could not get happy with the level of mid-bass. This is a characteristic of some MS-8 implementations and I ended up changing to a "Kaigoss" setup (which removes the subs from the MS-8 equation). This thread get's into the mid-bass issue: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...394375&page=26
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Yeppers, I read a bit of that thread yesterday (on DIY) and yours too about the midbass problem. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky people that don't have any issues but thanks to you guys I'll be able to solve it.

My main concern at this point is getting the DSP, my amp and the powered sub box to all fit back there on an amp rack like Bill made. But that kind of thing can always be resolved so I'm not too worried.

Judging by how long it takes to get to my other projects I may not even get started until after it cools back down here in Phoenix in October.

I think I'm all squared away about this stuff so unless you really think we need to talk on the phone we're good. Thanks for the offer.

Oh, and I still have yet to decide where I'll get the input from - that may be a decision that waits until the install. Using it from the front end side definitely has the downside of being forced to use the volume control on the MS-8 (I assume it has one?). That alone may make me choose the speaker level side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
If you're going to go ahead with the MS-8, you may want to (gulp) read through the 400+ page thread on it at diymobileaudio.com if you haven't already. I had my MS-8 system installed for almost a year and could not get happy with the level of mid-bass. This is a characteristic of some MS-8 implementations and I ended up changing to a "Kaigoss" setup (which removes the subs from the MS-8 equation). This thread get's into the mid-bass issue: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...394375&page=26
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #10
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
In the interim I would track down the way to re-code the coupes curves to the roadsters parameters. I don't know why they changed them, but the roadster system doesn't sound that bad when EQ-ed properly. I actually like mine, and I come from a history of high end aftermarket systems.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I've got bookmark saved in case. I'm sure it could be knocked out fast if I already knew how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
drewski429
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Sport 6MT

Try this

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/us/index.htm

Not totally following what you're trying to do with DSP signal? add a factory DSP amp where you had a non-DSP factory amp? Any standard aftermarket head unit or amp won't work with any of the factory DSP coponents. You can find BAVSOUND.com upgrades, or do what I'm doing at this exact moment and install GROM system for DSP - this adds Bluetooth A2DP for calls and audio streaming for my Spotify, you get factory steering wheel controls and track info on the factory screen. It essentially taps into the CD changer socket in your trunk.

http://gromaudio.com/store/all-bmws.html
I got the USB3 unit, DSP install kit, and Bluetooth kit. $259.97 + tax.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Drewski, what I was asking about at the time.... I was trying to choose an aftermarket DSP like an Alpine PXA-H800, JBL MS-8 etc. Some of these units do not have enough speaker level inputs (8 needed) to use the signals AFTER the BMW DSP enabled amp. So, I was wondering if anyone had used what I think is two (or four) channels that go INTO the BMW DSP enabled amp. This way I'd also get a much cleaner, non DSP'd signal. Cleaner since the BMW DSP amp does at least 3 things - speed sensitive volume, reduces bass at higher volumes, and the signal isn't flat, it's EQ'd for the cabin interior if I remember correctly.

However, I decided that I wanted the JBL MS-8 anyway and it happens to work fine with the 8 channels (4 left, 4 right) coming out of the BMW DSP enabled amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Following this. I went through this s***-fest when I did this with my 2008 Mini Cooper. Eventually gave up on my MS-8 and gutted the factory setup completely while stuffing the disassembled factory radio unit up inside the dash.

But I totally understand what you are trying to do. It's been a while for me too but I was an 80's car audio guy as well. Things were simpler back then!!! Have you looked at the Audiocontrol stuff?? I heard they had something out. There's a few other units out that the BMW crowd seem to know more about that maintain the factory head unit. I'm in the middle of trying to buy a Z4 now and will likely join you in tackling the audio side once acquire. I have almost all my gear except that one piece that gives me clean full range signal from the BMW factory head unit/amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

I looked at nearly everything, at least everything I could find. Looks to me like the MS-8 is perfect for me. Not sure if I'll ever get around to installing it all though

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Following this. I went through this s***-fest when I did this with my 2008 Mini Cooper. Eventually gave up on my MS-8 and gutted the factory setup completely while stuffing the disassembled factory radio unit up inside the dash.

But I totally understand what you are trying to do. It's been a while for me too but I was an 80's car audio guy as well. Things were simpler back then!!! Have you looked at the Audiocontrol stuff?? I heard they had something out. There's a few other units out that the BMW crowd seem to know more about that maintain the factory head unit. I'm in the middle of trying to buy a Z4 now and will likely join you in tackling the audio side once acquire. I have almost all my gear except that one piece that gives me clean full range signal from the BMW factory head unit/amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #16
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
I looked at nearly everything, at least everything I could find. Looks to me like the MS-8 is perfect for me. Not sure if I'll ever get around to installing it all though
JUST DO IT! Seriously, you will be so happy. It sounds like you truly will appreciate it. I was just listening to Mettalica with Ozzy from the 25th Anniversary and was so stoked with how it all sounded.

You can do it in phases to break it up. I first just installed the MS-8 with the stock speakers (without the subs, they blow anyway). Prep the wiring before the install. I extended the MS-8 high level inputs and outputs by 2 feet so I could just cut to length as needed then crimp with bullets while bent over in the trunk (I originally planned to solder everything but that just didn't prove realistic...for my back).

Next phase, install your door & kick drivers and continue to run off the MS-8's internal amps. By that time you'll start getting comfortable with the MS-8, playing around with different X-over points.

Lastly add your amps and subs and shout "Holy Crap, size does make a difference". Life is too short to live with bad sound.
Appreciate 0