ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
Kream
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 11 GLK350

BST Cable

Hey guys,

Quick history one day driving back home with my girlfriend the BST cable ignited (not really sure why) but my buddy and I decided to not repair it. We instead pop the plastic piece open and reconnected the cable and heated the plastic piece together. Thinking it would be like a bypass.

Fast foward 2-3 months, I've been having a lot of start up issue. My car would start in the morning just find but after a long driving session the starter would only click once and car would not start. This is where I thought my starter was going bad and it is caused by heat soak. After leaving the car off for an hour or so the car would start up just fine again.

Last night we just replaced the 2nd starter, we thought the first new one was bad, and the car couldn't even start. Just one click from the starter. We disconnected the battery and put it back on then it started just fine. Drove to the gas station and the car wouldn't start again. Now we think its something to do with the vibration because the gas station was not far from my place at all. We checked all the connections and notice the BST part was really really hot. He tapped it once with a screwdriver then the car started again.

We're thinking the is our temp bypass for the BST unit keeps shaking/vibration under driving conditions that its cause the cable to get really hot and expanding the cable.

Does anyone a better way to bypass this dang thing? I rather not have to buy another BST unit.
Appreciate 0