ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
aj_white
Registered
Rep
Drives: Red Holden Commodore

DSP Radio and amp Help??

heya all, I've done a bit of reading on here and via google and from what I've gathered the factory amp needs the factory head unit to operate. I may not of seen it all so sorry if ive posted this again and if you could point me towards where it has been posted that would be a big help.

Now this idea came to me after a few drinks and after getting my partner a mounting kit and a aftermarket headunit and finding out she has a DSP amp in her Z4 on xmas day and ive spent a good time trying to find out if this idea has been done before actually trying it.

The idea is since the amp needs the factory head unit does anyone know if I install it in the boot (attached to the pwr, gnd, and the data for the cd stacker) and I put the aftermarket head unit in the dash if that would then send the audio down the speaker lines to the amp and then out to the speakers if the factory Headunit was telling the amp to be at a set volume.

I read that the factory head unit controlled the amp via the data wire and that the audio goes out of the factory head unit via the 4 wires that most diagrams label them as front left and front right.
      01-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I hear what you are saying and I think that would work. One problem is that you would have to set the factory head unit volume very high for this configuration and that might introduce a lot of noise when you are playing your source volume low. If you are going to replace the in-dash head unit save yourself future headaches (all those connections, something bound to go bad) and just go with a new non-oem amplifier and replace the speakers. You'll get a better sounding, more reliable system.
Appreciate 0