ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
SES warning DTML pump

Monday my SES light came on solid yellow. Took the car to my indie mechanic today and the code came back for the leak diagnosis pump in the EVAP system. He reset the code and it's off, and it hasn't come back on yet. From what I've read so far, am I correct that this may or may not be a pump failure....... other parts of the system will cause that code to throw as well, including the electrical connection? Looks like it's a little bit of a PITA to get to under the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

My guess would be that it's looking at how much current the pump is pulling, like the bulb out warning does.
So the problem is most likely electrical, and not in the vapor system.
Under the back of the car the connector may be exposed to the elements.
      05-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
My guess would be that it's looking at how much current the pump is pulling, like the bulb out warning does.
So the problem is most likely electrical, and not in the vapor system.
Under the back of the car the connector may be exposed to the elements.
The DMTL pump runs periodically to test the sealing of the system. The brushes in the pump motor get worn and operation of the pump becomes intermittent. You can clear the code and it probably won't come back right away, but it's appearance will become increasingly frequent until you replace the pump. When that time comes you can buy the Bosch replacement for about half the price of the BMW pump. They're identical. Pump on the left is the original off the car. Pump on the right is the Bosch pump purchased from FCP Euro.

Note, the easiest way to access the pump is to remove the rear wheel and pull back the fender liner.
Attached Images

05-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Update: So my indie mechanic cleared the code on the 3rd. The "service engine soon" light came back on Monday, 4 days later. Now today, 4 days after that, the light is off again. You guys think it's the intermittent pump operation due to worn brushes or an iffy electrical connection?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I had this problem on my Z4 M Roadster last summer. I had a total knee replacement in May and wasn't driving the car for several months because I couldn't get in or out of it until my knee got back to normal and I could flex it again. This also caused the battery to run down.

I was also having electrical problems because of a bunny that had taken residence under the hood and gnawed through some wires, and the BMW Assist button under the center console crapped out causing the audio system to not function. My indie mechanic explained that a low battery situation can affect some systems negatively and the DHTML system was one of those. After I got my battery charged up, my indie mechanic cleared the codes and explained the problem, saying that it might or might not go away. Once the wires were fixed and the other problems resolved, clearing the codes seemed to work and I haven't had any problems since.

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Update: So my indie mechanic cleared the code on the 3rd. The "service engine soon" light came back on Monday, 4 days later. Now today, 4 days after that, the light is off again. You guys think it's the intermittent pump operation due to worn brushes or an iffy electrical connection?
My money's on intermittent pump operation due to worn brushes.
IMHO
      05-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
My money's on intermittent pump operation due to worn brushes.
IMHO
Obviously, this is where my money's at....