ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

Park Distance Control

Does the '07 MZ4 coupe come pre-wired for the parking sensors? I was looking at realoem.com. I really would like to install the sensors in the front bumper. To aid in protecting the spoiler/Mstache.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...96&hg=66&fg=05
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Based on the retrofit instructions I'm going to say no.

Looks like the kit number is 66 20 0 301 292 and is $250. You'd also have to code the car so it's aware of the newly installed PDC, someone with software will have to comment if it's even a coding option on US cars (you might have to flash a module with the euro version).

If you do get it installed please take lots of pictures and post your experience! No one has posted about retrofitting the OEM kit, only aftermarket.
      11-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I've looked into adding parking sensors to the front as well. I've never come across any mention of one available stock for our cars. What you found is interesting, albeit pretty expensive.

There are very cheap parking sensor systems available on ebay. My thought was to get black sensors and mount them in the black mesh grill, rather than drill holes in the "fangs" and have to paint sensors to match.

As I see it, the biggest challenge is shutting off the sensor system once you are under way (you don't want to hear it every time you pull up to someone at a traffic light). One solution I was investigating was to use a timed momentary switch for power. Another solution I just thought of is to use a powered "latched" momentary switch. After you park and shut off the ignition the loss of power to the switch would turn it off.

None the less, I lost interest in doing this mod and just decided to be more diligent about not pulling up so far in parking spots.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

To protect my areo bumper I just back in.
      11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep

I think the aftermarket systems can be adjusted for sensitivity. I wont start beeping until you are less than 3 feet. I never get closer than 3 feet at a traffic light.

I back in quite often but my muffler cans often will hit the parking lot stops as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I do the finnegan/skelekitty technique. Align your windows with the rear window of the car next to you. Leaves plenty of room to the parking lot stomps.

I don't see much point in putting them at the front, especially since they won't be low enough to catch the stops. For me it's about backing up when the top is up, don't have great visibility backwards.
      11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep

Well my thought wasn't to install it in the mesh. I think the place to mount them is actually in the mstache!
Appreciate 0