ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #23
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Just My 2 Cents...but I Have All Poly Suspension Bushings. It's Stiff Yea. Handling Is Superb. I Would Go That Route. I Mean Hell If You Are Doing That, Get The Diff Bushings Too Since You Gotta Drop The Diff To Access All The Bushings.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #24
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

Thats not possible from a technical pov imho. But that doesnt automatically means that solid mounts will cause problems.

According to Turner Motorsport's website solid mounts actually reduce mechanical stress on the chassis.

"The stock rubber bushings have serious drawbacks when used hard on the racetrack - they wear out quickly, and the flexible material allows extreme changes in alignment. Switching to solid bushings will eliminate the deflection and flex, keeping the suspension motions in their intended alignment and providing more feedback to the driver. On the E46 M3, solid bushings can help prevent rear subframe failure as the sheetmetal chassis will no longer flex along with the rubber mount.

Excessive movement here transfers to unwanted suspension motions elsewhere and is also a major contributor to failures in the rear floor sheetmetal.

While our Delrin-Aluminum subframe mounts conform to various racing series these all-aluminum mounts are the ultimate in reducing flex and deflection. The rubber stock mounts, and the Delrin mounts to a small degree, flex and deflect as various forces are applied throughout the subframe - on and off throttle loading, cornering on flat surfaces, bumpy surfaces, weight transfer, sticky race tires, etc. Too much flex from worn rubber mounts will transfer to flex where the subframe meets the chassis/floor. This is the primary cause for the infamous rear subframe failure. These fully solid aluminum mounts have absolutely zero flex to them so they will not contribute to rear subframe issues."
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
According to Turner Motorsport's website solid mounts actually reduce mechanical stress on the chassis.
But without any physical explanation. Their only real explanation is that they sell stuff that fits in that place,

Their statement that "the sheetmetal chassis will no longer flex along with the rubber mount" is nonsense. The rubber mount only allows the sheetmetal to flex with a force corresponding with the force exerted by the rubber bushing, being the rubber's spring constant or Young's modulus.

Young's modulus for aluminium is about 69GPa, for rubber its somewhere between 0,1 and 0,5 depending on the shore rating.

This is a good example why you shouldnt trust explanations by companies that have a substantial financial gain without going over it by yourself. They're trying to sell. Not to help.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 05:57 AM   #26
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
This is a good example why you shouldnt trust explanations by companies that have a substantial financial gain without going over it by yourself. They're trying to sell. Not to help.
The way things are heading with uber highend performance vehicles today is solid mounting.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one I think. Is that why the new 2019 Porsche GT2 RS comes stock with solid rose joints and bushings

If you are man enough you will eventually go solid

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #27
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
The way things are heading with uber highend performance vehicles today is solid mounting.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one I think. Is that why the new 2019 Porsche GT2 RS comes stock with solid rose joints and bushings

If you are man enough you will eventually go solid
I fail to see the resemblance from an engineering pov.
The reasoning: "a gt2rs has it too, so it make sense that I have it" makes no sense. Did you make a fatigue study to the parameters of your z4 subframe in relation to the chassis, used materials and acting forces?
I bet bmw have, and so have porsche. Maybe a reason why the porsche is build totally different?
Like I said, first of all the width of the mounting points of the subframe are a key factor in relation to the acting forces on the chassis. This is even without considering the structural build of the chassis itself.

Let me point that out to you for the examples displayed in this topic:

Z4/e46 subframe with mounting width, where the e46 is known for chassis damage resulting from forces coming from the undercarriage:

F80 subframe with mounting width (huge compared to z4):

Porsche 911, even bigger, beefier: part of a massive wide subframe assembly where also the engine and gearbox is fitted in (in the picture only parts of the subframe assembly have been fitted, more is yet to be bolted in):

But you do to your car what makes you happy. But please dont think you have all the engineering parameters covered, because you didnt address a single one. Except that you have to be 'man enough' of course.

In the end it all comes down to how long you want the car to last. If you're fine with a car that will potentially be a technical write off in 20k miles then go ahead, but if you expect any 100k reliability you're taking a risk, especially if you drive it as someone who is 'man enough'
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-29-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #28
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Hahaha, thanks for your concern.

I'll take my chances of ripping my chassis apart and driving over my diff when it falls out and not lose a minute of sleep over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List

Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 2
StickMon635.00
ried791.50
      03-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #30
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Just got these from AKG

Poly 75D race use.

Btw, I have to comment on the customer service at AKG, it's bloody FANTASTIC!!