ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Registration is now open, but only for Tarheel members, and I'm signed up(!).

Here's info on when reg opens for others (from the event info on MSR):

Last day to register online: Mon Feb 20, 2012

First 10 days of registration (1/9/12 through 1/18/12) are reserved for current Tarheel Chapter members and registered affiliate members only. Cost is $399.00. We verify membership with CCA National prior to confirmation as accepted in the school. Associate Members may register as if you are the primary member. On 1/19 registration opens to other current BMW CCA chapter members on a first received basis at the same cost as Tarheel Members. Non-members may register for $449.00 beginning 1/26 providing the school has not filled.

No one under the age of 18 years may participate in a Tarheel BMWCCA High Performance Driver School. Check out www.StreetSurvival.org.

Purchasing a CCA membership and being allowed to register within the first 18 days offers a better shot at getting into the school; it costs the same as waiting and paying the non-member price. Membership in CCA is a very good thing. All New CCA members may ask for their primary chapter to be Tarheel Chapter. www.bmwcca.org
      01-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
You can always call the National office and get secondary membership in Tarheel for about $10.
Well it looks like i'll be calling for the secondary membership instead of waiting the ten days tomorrow. Odds are I should be ok but why chance it...I really want to get some seat time at this track!

Frank how does your chapter run events, I have numerous track days under my belt...I want to run in an intermediate group under instruction with other drivers who have 5 plus days on track and are aware of their surroundings. I have close to 25 days on track with the coupe last season and solo track time.

...Think the "C" run group is my ticket, being that this my first time with your chapter as well as running at VIR?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
Well it looks like i'll be calling for the secondary membership instead of waiting the ten days tomorrow. Odds are I should be ok but why chance it...I really want to get some seat time at this track!

Frank how does your chapter run events, I have numerous track days under my belt...I want to run in an intermediate group under instruction with other drivers who have 5 plus days on track and are aware of their surroundings. I have close to 25 days on track with the coupe last season and solo track time.

...Think the "C" run group is my ticket, being that this my first time with your chapter as well as running at VIR?
Nick,

Just to be clear, this school is run by the nice folks at the Tarheel chapter, whereas I'm with Blue Ridge. Tarheel has a bunch of track rats at the helm, while we at Blue Ridge run a really wicked wine tour...

I started with two weekends in D in 2010, then graduated to C for my two 2011 schools. I expect to run the next several in C--don't want to be in B yet. With your level of experience, I'd think B is teh right spot; they very well might go C for you based on your having not done VIR before, but I think you have more experience than most guys in C and B would be more appropriate. If you happen to end up in C, there will be a pretty broad range of speed (with me at the slower end), but most guys have pretty good track awareness in that group, else they don't let them out of D. (Saying that is probably the kiss of death, and there will be a dozen guys out there this time who've never been introduced to their rearview mirrors! I did get stuck once behind one such guy two schools ago, who I'll not identify...ahem...red Corvette, wearing number C5...)

B has a mix of guys on street tires and R Comps, and C is alomst universally street rubber. B gives you a couple addiitonal passing zones--they usually let you pass between 1 and 3 and between 3 and 4, in additon to the front, bridge and back straights that are the only allowed zones in the lower goups. If you're going to have a traffic problem, it's usually getting bottled up in the 3-4-5-6 section, so having those two extra zones would be good.

Make sure you put all your experience down when you register on MSR. You might also email JoElla (the Registrar, contact info on MSR) and discuss what run group she thinks would be best. Of course, like I suspect all organizations do, they have the final say and sometimes they have to compromise run group assignments to make the numbers work out. I do beleive they'll work hard to move someone who's in a too-slow or too-fast group, based on the instructor's input. Just don't tell them that you "operate on a much higher level than all these people" a la the Flat Out guy.

And, though they do sign-off people in A and B, they're big on the "E" in HPDE and generally enourage folks to take advantage of the instructors. Only occasionally do I see someone with an empty right seat. Also, plan on one "exercise session" on Sunday, where you'll do leapfrog with a partner, or off-line, or if in B maybe side-by-side with a partner. Some guys don't like them bacause they aren't pure go-fast sessions, but I find the exercises fun and very educational.

Hope that helps.

Frank
      01-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Haha Frank that wine tour sounds like a blast

yes your post helps a lot. i am going to push for C level and learn the track and continue to work on smoothness of all inputs as well as try learn a thing or two from the more experienced driver in shotgun. Ultimately, the event organizers will deem where I belong and as long as its not D ... I'll drive in peace.

Thanks, ill let you know who things pan out tomorrow with BMWCCA and see you soon!

Lets see more coupes!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #27
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Haha Frank that wine tour sounds like a blast

yes your post helps a lot. i am going to push for C level and learn the track and continue to work on smoothness of all inputs as well as try learn a thing or two from the more experienced driver in shotgun. Ultimately, the event organizers will deem where I belong and as long as its not D ... I'll drive in peace.

Thanks, ill let you know who things pan out tomorrow with BMWCCA and see you soon!

Lets see more coupes!!!
Nick, you will have a blast down at VIR. That is by far my favorite track, it's just the super long drive that kills me lol. Wish I could be down there...
      01-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep
Drives: 2010 M6

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Signed up, can't wait for the start of the season. Love the full course.
BMWCCA #442445

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Randy23185
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

i now have a dual membership with tarheel chapter an am booking the event and a room as we speak!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep
Drives: 2010 M6

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Signed up and room booked at the Villas. Can't wait.
BMWCCA #442445

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Randy23185
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #31
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just a reminder that this school is open to ALL BMW CCA members starting tomorrow (Jan 19). Will be open to non-CCA members, if slots are left, beginning Jan. 26.
      01-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Getting ready... fresh oil and filter, Motul 600 went in the car today. Swapped in the track rotors and the PFC 06s.

Took all frickin' day--one of the rear caliper bracket bolts was stripped and stretched, requiring a trip to the dealer (I think that's the corner where I had a weepy caliper repaired under warranty, so I'm sure there was an impact wrench in its past.) Then, I finished everything, put the car back on the ground, put all the tools away, cleaned up, and discovered that I only changed out three of the rotors. @#$%! Not on my game today, hope to be better by track time!
      01-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #33
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

That's ok I'm still waiting to get my car back....someone hit me before the holidays as I was tune and testing the smartycam. Minor damage but it is taking some time to fix....I have new set of PFC06's, and front rotors to install, plus brake bleed ahead of me, but it will be all worth it once I'm on the track.

Sucks about the rotor...good thing you caught it....just not soon enough! Assume you run a dedicated set of rotors/pads for the track. I've just been swapping out pads without issues but I have a tonne of micro cracks on front rotors. I am scared of the minute chance of one maturing into cracking a rotor...ESP while far away like VIR! I picked up a set of racingbrake rotors for the front that I'll be using for this track season.

Last edited by sabbanick; 01-21-2012 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Iphone post
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #34
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's ok I'm still waiting to get my car back....someone hit me before the holidays as I was tune and testing the smartycam. Minor damage but it is taking some time to fix....I have new set of PFC06's, and front rotors to install, plus brake bleed ahead of me, but it will be all worth it once I'm on the track.

Sucks about the rotor...good thing you caught it....just not soon enough! Assume you run a dedicated set of rotors/pads for the track. I've just been swapping out pads without issues but I have a tonne of micro cracks on front rotors. I am scared of the minute chance of one maturing into cracking a rotor...ESP while far away like VIR! I picked up a set of racingbrake rotors for the front that I'll be using for this track season.
Nick - just curious, you staying at the villas? You driving down there with your track pads on?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-21-2012 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #35
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Nick - just curious, you staying at the villas? You driving down there with your track pads on?
Staying at the sleepy in...the Villa would be sweet but I'm going solo to this event. My response to Randy's post is a little misleading...Sorry about that.

Yes, I will drive down with track set up on car essentially pads and stock wheels with Dunlop stars pec rubber!

You having second thoughts of going down? I took over a week off from work so not sure when I am going of coming back!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #36
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Staying at the sleepy in...the Villa would be sweet but I'm going solo to this event. My response to Randy's post is a little misleading...Sorry about that.

Yes, I will drive down with track set up on car essentially pads and stock wheels with Dunlop stars pec rubber!

You having second thoughts of going down? I took over a week off from work so not sure when I am going of coming back!
Ha I did for a second but I may just do my first event with PCA in March at NJMP Light/T-bolt. I was watching my old VIR vids today and realized how much I miss that track.
      01-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #37
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Ha I did for a second but I may just do my first event with PCA in March at NJMP Light/T-bolt. I was watching my old VIR vids today and realized how much I miss that track.
Pca schattenbaum I love running with these guys. I will most likely see you there as I intend to run as many event with them as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #38
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Sorry to hear about you getting hit, but glad it wasn't bad.

And, yes I have a set of OE rotors just for the track; really just so that I don't have to re-bed twice every time I go to the track. This is a good reminder that I should bring my street rotors along for insurance.

Quote:
Staying at the sleepy in...the Villa would be sweet but I'm going solo to this event.
BTW, I'm staying in one of the garage hospitality suites (but, alas, no garage) so we'll all have a warm/dry place in the paddock should the weather be inhospitable.
      01-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #39
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
Sorry to hear about you getting hit, but glad it wasn't bad.

And, yes I have a set of OE rotors just for the track; really just so that I don't have to re-bed twice every time I go to the track. This is a good reminder that I should bring my street rotors along for insurance.

BTW, I'm staying in one of the garage hospitality suites (but, alas, no garage) so we'll all have a warm/dry place in the paddock should the weather be inhospitable.
Thanks Frank, I actually thought I caught the accident on video. Would have been an awesome accident to capture as it fell under the category of "Americas worse drivers/WTF were they thinking". Needed a new front bumper.

... BTW just watched the forecast and its sunny skies, with a few clouds, light wind and high in low 50's for the weekend...not sure if that you guys consider inhospitable weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #40
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Car is back in action. Looking forward to meeting you guys and getting back on track, especially this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #41
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Too bad it's the same weekend as the national Driving Events Congress, otherwise I'd be seriously tempted to fly out to visit my brother in Richmond and swing by to participate...In a rental.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #42
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's mine, Randy's and Nick's on a cold and WINDY Saturday morning at VIR. Had a great time despite the wind, and Sunday was perfect. Nick and i had a great session running together... Randy was in a different (faster) group.

Name:  IMG_1495.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  127.1 KB
      03-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
That was an awesome weekend. Had a blast and learned a ton of stuff. Can't wait to do it again!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #44
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's some footage from VIR. Lots of time running with Nick--if you want to see the benefit of headers and exhaust, look at how he pulls on me out of Oak Tree.