ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

GROM BT-3 Review

Not a lot of info on this unit, or first hand reviews on forums. Debated the various audiovox, aux/bt hardwired units, parrot offerings out there and finally settled on the GROM.

So far so good, signal is a little weak so it's recommended that place the unit in the cabin (I initially left it in the trunk @ the cd changer wires).

If you don't have BT music and would like to, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one.

Haven't tried any preset playlists or really know how that works, I just wanted to be able to skip songs with the car controls using pandora/Spotify.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
sithsidious
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Hi Miscbrah,

How hard was installation?

I noticed this video , but it is for an E85 without DSP. Did you have DSP?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithsidious View Post
Hi Miscbrah,

How hard was installation?

I noticed this video , but it is for an E85 without DSP. Did you have DSP?
Nope no DSP here, the hardest part was actually finding the CD changer connectors inside of the rear bulkhead, probably took 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
pip_pill
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6 speed

Garage List
Prod. Date 1987-09- ...  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscbrah View Post
Not a lot of info on this unit, or first hand reviews on forums. Debated the various audiovox, aux/bt hardwired units, parrot offerings out there and finally settled on the GROM.

So far so good, signal is a little weak so it's recommended that place the unit in the cabin (I initially left it in the trunk @ the cd changer wires).

If you don't have BT music and would like to, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one.

Haven't tried any preset playlists or really know how that works, I just wanted to be able to skip songs with the car controls using pandora/Spotify.

Is this what you installed?https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGAS448...=27NQ9S3KYC5W5

Does it have ...
1) SD memory that is playable -
2) can it read a USB thumb drive with music on it?

What did you use to relocate it (wires)?

I believe it has ipod connections and Bluetooth
although, I'm assuming the Ipod cable is sold separately?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGAS448...=27NQ9S3KYC5W5

Please let me know how you get on with the Grom, I have brain ache trying to find a unit that meets what I'm looking for a 2003 z4 Business CD without multi player - yet to dig in the trunk for cables!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I have another version of the GROM (Model USB3 for trunk). I like it a lot. It took a while to wire everything up and I had to take apart all the carpeting and paneling in the trunk to install it. It was installed as a "CD changer". I fed a female USB cable through the center console so it's accessible via the center storage area (where the nav computer is). It came with a microphone but I chose to to use it since I have one built-in my steering column already.

I've worked with GROM customer support before and they're awesome. I bought mine with the DSP adapter but realized I didn't need it. I was able to send the adapter back and they refunded me for that portion. No questions asked.

The version of the GROM I have allows for BT connectivity (A2DP), and has USB input. You can play music via USB but it only trickle charges your phone (no fast-charge due to low energy output). I have tested audio via iPhone (lightning) and Android phones (micro-USB). Audio works just fine. On very rare occasions BT doesn't sync up when I turn on my car, but I just fall back on USB.

This model can play music via flash drives.

Yes, my steering wheel and stereo controls can skip tracks in either BT or USB mode.

Interesting side-note:

You can pair your phone to both the GROM and your built-in BT for the car. However, on iPhones you cannot set which connection is for phone calls and which is for audio (i.e. music). It's all or nothing in this situation.

Android users rejoice! You can actually set the BT connection to feed phone calls to your car (if you have the built-in BT module and mic), while simultaneously outputting music audio to the GROM unit.
      09-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
Android users rejoice! You can actually set the BT connection to feed phone calls to your car (if you have the built-in BT module and mic), while simultaneously outputting music audio to the GROM unit.
This is great to hear, I may have to spring for the BT module now. I had the same GROM unit for a few years now and really love it. Only complain is the minimum MP3 Tag display even on the NAV screen and some quirkiness with the controls. Being able to stream A2DP to it and keep the BT connection of the car is awesome
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
christophertemple
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 E85 3.0

koruptor -

I know its been a few years but I am installing a GROM in my 04 Z4 with DSP, no Nav

I am able to connect the 3 pin wiring harness and get everything but actual sound. The track I am playing is on the radio but no sound. I do not have the 6 pin connection wired because I cant find one and my best guess is that I need the DSP adapter. You said you didnt need it. Did you wire anything to the 6 pin plug from the GROM?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
brendanto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0

I have an 05 with DSP and did have to buy their DSP adapter. Works well in trunk
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Hey christophertemple.

It's been many years and I don't remember the details about the installation. Note: The following is assuming you are installing the trunk module, and not the one directly to the back of the radio.

I was able to find this installation video by GROM. They appear to fish both connectors from behind the amp. Here's another video with a different BMW that shows the two connectors.

As far as the 6-pin connector is concerned, I'm fuzzy on what I did with it. However, as I'm revisiting the docs right now it seems to be DSP-related. According to the GROM DSP doc, it refers to this as the analog DSP connector:

Quote:
For these MY2002 and later vehicles, If there is a 3-pin and 6-pin connection (these were considered “Analog” DSP) available at the CD changer then the DSP adapter is NOT required.
If you require the DSP adapter, the last page of this doc shows the wiring.

There are additional things worth double checking. Per the instructions for the USB3 Trunk module, they warn against connecting the 3-pin to the wrong connector:

Quote:
Some BMW are factory wired for the cellular phone. Except for wire location, the factory cellular phone connector looks identical to the factory 3-pin connector used for the CD changer. The CORRECT 3-pin connector for the CD-Changer has a BROWN wire (ground) in the #1 pin position. Please make certain you use this connector. The INCORRECT factory cellular phone connector has a BROWN wire in the center position – DO NOT USE THIS CONNECTOR.
Additionally, are you testing music playback via USB or Bluetooth? If you have the BT module installed, did you try both?

I've had a good experience with GROM customer support. It may be helpful reaching out to them if none of the above helps.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophertemple View Post
koruptor -

I know its been a few years but I am installing a GROM in my 04 Z4 with DSP, no Nav

I am able to connect the 3 pin wiring harness and get everything but actual sound. The track I am playing is on the radio but no sound. I do not have the 6 pin connection wired because I cant find one and my best guess is that I need the DSP adapter. You said you didnt need it. Did you wire anything to the 6 pin plug from the GROM?
      06-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
christophertemple
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 E85 3.0

After a little more work and some more thread searching I found that some of the E85s did not have the 6 pin adapter. Some people swear they do and I even removed the subwoofer from the passenger side and made sure there were no wires or harnesses tucked away and it simply is not there.

The one thread I found on this the guy had to buy the DSP adapter after all because instead of a 6 pin, there is a coax/DSP plug which I have just like him, its on the same harness as where the 6 pin would have been located.

I went ahead and ordered the $75 adapter.

Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #11
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Glad you were able to identify the issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophertemple View Post
After a little more work and some more thread searching I found that some of the E85s did not have the 6 pin adapter. Some people swear they do and I even removed the subwoofer from the passenger side and made sure there were no wires or harnesses tucked away and it simply is not there.

The one thread I found on this the guy had to buy the DSP adapter after all because instead of a 6 pin, there is a coax/DSP plug which I have just like him, its on the same harness as where the 6 pin would have been located.

I went ahead and ordered the $75 adapter.

Thanks for the heads up.
      07-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #12
thendo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I can't figure this out at all - my amp is in the base of the trunk by the battery and I can't find the 3 or 6 pin connectors anywhere... any idea how far up the wires I'd have to go?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #13
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I had a look using google on the installation of the Mediabridge unit I have.... and some posts... as I said the . ..."wires were tucked underneath the bottom of the black center storage compartment, accessible only from the trunk bulkhead."

So... Lift up the bottom of the carpeting ... check the area of the bottom behind the metal crossmembers at the center of the bulkhead.... stick your fingers under and behind everything to locate it.

This is the install guide that has info....

https://www.voxxintl.com/docs/common...500-BMW_OM.pdf