ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
anomic1
Rep
Drives: 2003 bmw z4 2.5

z4 need help please!

I have a 2003 Z4 2.5, i bought both tensioners for pulleys and also purchased both belts. i did some research on some m54 engines and found some diy ,but nothing specific to a z4. i figured i can manage the rest from "TIS"...i took off the radiator shroud and fan,but i noticed this huge guard in my way, it has some gaps were i can get my hands in there but the tools dont fit with the ratchet connected...i didnt notice this guard in any of the diy, but then again none were for a z4. it seems like its connected to the whole frame. .......my question is how do you take this guard off?? i posted some picks below the guard is metal and painted black, i managed to get one of the 5/8 bolts off by mcgivering a smaller extension,but then again the guard stoped that from coming out as shown.. im stumped on this and would appreciate anyones help asap,since one of the belts is off already..thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
DreamTheater
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4

I haven't done this myself however my belts do need replacing shortly.

As far as a guide goes you can find one on turnermotorsport.com if you do a search for under drive pulleys.

I'd imagine it would essentially be the same - good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Donovan303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 2.5 Z4

As luck would have it I just did this Friday night so I could get at the oil filter housing gasket.

BTW -- If you are going to pull the belts and pulleys you may as well remove the alternator and replace that oil filter housing gasket. It is a cheap gasket and by the time you remove the belts and pulleys you are halfway there. My Z4 is also a 2.5 2003 model and it started leaking a couple weeks back.

I can post some pics when I get home but the belt removal process is very easy and that support makes it a little tight but the necessary tools fit in there just fine.

You do not need to remove the guard.

You will need a T60 for the lower pulley (AC belt). The ac belt is done from underneath the car.

On my car the upper pulley was a 17mm and it is removed from above.

I had enough room for a 1/2" drive and the T60 and 17mm socket.

I'll post a little more this evening.

Cheers,
Donovan
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
anomic1
Rep
Drives: 2003 bmw z4 2.5

Hey whats up guys. ive been meaning to follow up, i also posted the same thread on a different category for faster results....damn i replaced belts and pulleys already. will need to look into that gasket.thanks for the heads up Donovan...I couldnt fit the tools onto bolts without hitting. but i got a reply on the other thread here it is...http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675451
thanks for the replys and help.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Donovan303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 2.5 Z4

I wish I had caught this before you went to all that trouble. Definitely no need to raise the engine for this.

Here are some pics:

Tools required for the Oil Filter Housing gasket change:

Here is the T60 location for the lower pulley as shown from below the car:

Here is the location of the top pulley (actually 16mm) shown from above, note the car is one the ground and the engine not moved:

Here are the belts removed and you can see the radiator/fan cover is still in place and the engine is sitting on its mounts. You can also better see the upper pulley since the alternator is removed:

Finally here is one of the oil filter housing removed. A lot of the oil came from what was left in the housing, but you can see the evidence of the leak pretty well. If you see this on your engine around that housing it is time to replace this:

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
Donovan
Appreciate 0