ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-24-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
10Terp
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

2003 Z4 3.0i - New Member & Pics!

Hi all,

New member here, figured I'd stop in and introduce myself because I think I'll be frequenting this forum a lot over the coming months/years. I just had a 2003 Z4 fall into my lap from a friend who's moving and didn't want to deal with moving it; wound up paying $500 for it (he said I could have it but I felt guilty taking it without giving him anything).

It's a 2003 Z4 3.0i 6-speed sport package with 116,000 miles on it. It's definitely in need of a good bit of TLC as it has sat outside for the past 10 years and has had several owners. It needs a bunch of little things such as a DISA valve, cosmetic repairs (front left fender), interior repairs, to name just a few. My first order of business was running codes on it and I was getting P0171 and P0174 (both banks too lean), which to me indicates a vacuum leak. Checked the DISA valve and it's in awful shape; it wreaked of gas and the actual valve just rotates freely on the shaft and it looks like it almost has some melted spots on it. There is also some questionable audio system electrical work I need to spend time figuring out. The factor nav screen screen in the pop-up door is missing, but I found an Arduino buried in the dash that was used to control the pop-up motor for the screen. But since I don't have a screen, I'm not exactly sure how to actually get audio out of it.

I look forward to being a part of the community! It's going to be a lot of work to get this car to where I want it but I think it will be worth it. Plus, the price was right.

Pics are attached!
Attached Images

Last edited by 10Terp; 11-24-2023 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
3798j11413.50
      11-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Welcome! Looks to be in decent shape for an almost "free" car! The M54 engine is one of BMW's finest and it's very robust. My 2004 X5 has the same engine with approx. 154k miles and its still purrs as smooth as the day I drove it off the lot almost 20 years ago! Just fix all the little niggles and enjoy that roadster!
      11-24-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
10Terp
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Welcome! Looks to be in decent shape for an almost "free" car! The M54 engine is one of BMW's finest and it's very robust. My 2004 X5 has the same engine with approx. 154k miles and its still purrs as smooth as the day I drove it off the lot almost 20 years ago! Just fix all the little niggles and enjoy that roadster!

Thanks! It's definitely a car that's led a tough life, so I'm glad I can give it another lease on life. The DISA valve rebuild kit is arriving today, so that will be my project this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 12:52 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Welcome.

As far as the lean condition goes. Check the rubber boots.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0