ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

After fixing the teething issues with the vf570, the car is driving very well! One of the final remaining issues seems to be a starting problem. If the car had been sitting for more then 2 hours, it will start fine (without needing to apply throttle to start). How it turned off has no effect (i.e. Stalling, dying, or being turned off properly).

However if you try to start the car with In said 2 hours, it almost always takes 5-10 cranks to get it started(and starting it wot and modulating throttle til it catches). It tries to start every time, but it just won't catch itself.

Here's a run down of what I have replaced/Inspected to try to solve this.

-battery/ battery voltage
-spark plugs
-coils
-fuses
-clean icv
-inspected tps sensors
-relocated ait from Manifold to blower inlet tube
-vacuum leaks
-builds boost to 9.3 psi

My last guess is fuel. I have tried a few different tanks of fuel, adaptions, clearing of faults and fuel brands. The issues still exists. No real changes. I have noticed it's gotten easier to start as the list of what I do increases (use to take 25+ cranks and 30 mins).

I would guess maybe a lack of fuel. My car is now 10 years old and 75k miles. Maybe time to replace the fuel pump. I can try a fuel pressure test and see what happens. Also worth it to do a sound test on the injectors to ensure they are actually all flowing. Maybe also pull some values from the relay too. Come to think of it, don't know if I hear here the pump priming the system anymore... definitely used too. That certainly could explain things.

I'm using the oem fuel pump, regulator, relay and what not. I don't believe the vf kit supplies these, as the install manual doesn't reference new ones.

I'm running 550cc injectors, what vf recommends and a ttfs dyno tune. I did not get a base flash from vf, only franks tune.

I plan to convert to e85 soon. That means the pump and injectors will get bumped up. That may solve some of the issues.

Only fault code I have is for an primary o2 sensor that I can't seem to get to go away (even when replace said sensor). Traced wiring today and it's getting power.

Thoughts?

P.s. Also having some weird throttle hesitation issues. Car lurches and halts when throttle is constant. My guess is tps sensors. Checked them all out and wasn't getting any usable values with a multimeter. Will try replacing the top one first, then driving and clearing adaptions. If no change then I will try the bottom one, repeat driving situation. If still no change I will try the pedal and repeating driving. Lastly if no change, I guess it's the thirties actuator.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Just a general thought, as I've had similar issues with a few cars and most of my lawn mowers.
If you shut them down and start them within 5 minutes, they're fine.
If you wait about an hour, they're fine.
There's a window in there between 5 minutes and an hour where they'll start too rich, and want to flood.

I've had 2 TPS failures. Symptom was idle jumping around and funky lurching at low throttle angles.
One of them, when measuring resistance from the center pin of the connector (wiper) to one of the other pins had an obvious intermittent spot near the idle end.
The other one measured OK, so far as I could tell with a multimeter, but the car sure didn't like it, so it must have a non-linear point near the idle end, but just not intermittently open.