ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Shuksan
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

DW or DWS for daily driver Z4 in Seattle

Have been thinking about getting Continental ExtremeContact DW for my Z4, mainly because of their highly rated wet performance (hello from Seattle!).

I don't have to drive my Z4 the 3 days a year where it snows or gets below freezing around here, so I don't need a 'snow' capable tire. But I am wondering whether the DWS flavor makes more sense given the short summers and the not-so-warm climate.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Shuksan,
I've run the DWS here in Mid Michigan for a year now on my '03 2.5i with sport pkg. They really do well in low temps, as it is now getting to 32 deg. and below in the mornings some. They seem to still feel soft in lower temps, and don't get squirrelly due to the compounds in the tire not hardening in the cold like most summer tires do. The few times I have driven in the wet, they performed admirably, and the car really felt like driving on dry pavement.
I store the car when the snow flies, so don't really use the "S", but really enjoy the tires vs. the run-flats. For the money, they are a really good tire (my opinion, and also Tire Rack's) for the Z4 if you don't really need a track tire, but want good all-season performance. The DW is also a good option, but may not do as well in cooler climes as the DWS.
Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I've been kinda debating the same thing, I wonder how much better the DWS is in temps bellow 45°
      10-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Is this for an M? If so, DWSs are on back order. I'm going to go with Blizzaks myself. With all seasons you have an all year round compromise. With a dedicated set of winter and summer wheels you have the best equipment available at all times.

P.S. there are so many Zs in Seattle, we really need to organize a meet.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Are Blizzaks really necessary for the single week of light snow we might get around Seattle? It's mostly just rainy and cold. Wouldn't a good set of all seasons be a better winter tire for the days there isn't snow on the ground?
      10-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
Are Blizzaks really necessary for the single week of light snow we might get around Seattle? It's mostly just rainy and cold. Wouldn't a good set of all seasons be a better winter tire for the days there isn't snow on the ground?
No, even in the northeast I only had 1 season where blizzaks really helped and but to be honest, 90% of people wouldn't even bother driving when conditions are that bad. That particular season had maybe 3-4 storms each with over 8". The season before only had 1 major storm, and again I just chose not to go out that day. In the days after where plows have gone through, and the streets are clear but there's still hard snow on the ground, all seasons should get you by fine. However, if you're going to buy a 2nd set of wheels with dedicated all-seasons, then you might as well buy snows. If you have 1 set of wheels for all year which are all-seasons, you should be fine.

Maybe if you lived in an area that snowed all winter, you'd need Blizzaks but at that point, if your car is so low that you're doind the plowing, Blizzaks won't even help.
      10-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

You have to remember that while it might not snow, the ambient temperature will still be close to freezing (or below) so I'd rather have a compound that's designed specifically for those temperatures. Again, it's a choice of either having a year-round trade-off or dedicated equipment for each season. Also, the DWS from what I understand will transform to DW (Dry and Wet) and to D (only Dry) according to thread wear, so I'm not sure how long for you'll have the Snow capability. With a dedicated winter set you'll get at least 3 seasons worth of driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

The DW is a great tire for dry and wet performance and offers a great ride to boot. If driving in the snow or freezing temps is not an issue, then you will be happy with these tires.

I have them on my Z4MC (245/35/19, 275/30/19) and have been very happy with them on the road and happy on track. They lack ultimate dry grip on the track but make up a bit in consistency; they are simply amazing in the wet.
Appreciate 0