ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
kevinlindley1
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Roadster

Active Autowerke Tune (w/ aFe intake & RPi exhaust)

Hey all - I currently have the aFe intake and RPi exhaust installed in my 2008 Z4M roadster. I'm looking at buying the Active Autowerke tune...do I need to tell the installer/Active Autowerke to take my intake/exhaust into consideration when tuning my ECU? And is there any benefit to having the ECU upgrade installed at a shop vs sending my ECU in the mail (besides not being able to drive the car for a few days)?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

You should be able to drive the car same day as the tune install. The greatest risk that you might have is a battery that could die on you given that it's either not strong enough or you don't have another vehicle to keep it charged (as the car is off but the DME is having to work while the car isn't being powered by the alternator). Everything else should work as new, especially with such a renowned tune.

As far as the intake and the exhaust, they add a little bit of a difference as you're removing some of the restriction, but on our cars, until you really start deleting the catalytic converters (on the headers mostly from US-spec Z4s) or the cats in the section 2, you really won't have that much of a difference from the stock components. There is more flow for your car and of course more sound with that flow, although the actual difference from stock isn't all too great.

Bottom line:
No true advantage to shipping the DME in unless you'd just want a hands free experience and a slightly longer wait time. (Should have a second vehicle or battery tender on hand if you should choose to do it at home). You'll also get the diagnostics capabilities should you do it at home (to my knowledge), I didn't mention this above.

On the upgrades, doesn't hurt to let them know, but you're not going to gain a ton by informing them of those particular upgrades if much at all.

Hope that helps!
      02-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I am currently running the RPI exhaust and intake as well with the Turner Pulley upgrade on my Coupe. This combination with the clutch valve delete changed the whole dynamics of the car. Definitely tell them your set up and they can make any adjustments.

Check their list of installers, I used Harrison Motorworks in Atlanta and I could not be happier.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

Hey waiting to hear how the tune went with the afe and rpi exhaust. Any updates? I'm running the rpi exhaust with afe pro dry filter and was either thinking of going status gruppe headers with evolve tune possibly in the future. Would like to hear back from your experience with your set-up.
McKenna
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I just added Active Autowerke headers headers this past week and the only thing I can say is wow! They did do another ECU upgrade for next to nothing since I already had it. They have been right on with everything I have bought from them. The headers were only about $900.00
Appreciate 0