ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #111
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondelta View Post
Is this ever going to happen????? Been waiting for over a year now.
???
these are readily available.
contact APR
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #112
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
Glad to hear yours is working good. I think combined with my little OEM rear lip it might make a good combo. Next year I am gonna grab a second trunk lid and get an APR wing like Chris.

I took the car out for a little rip tonight and took it to my fav 90mph S turns and the front end def felt much more stable. My lip is a bit different then the APR lips everybody else ordered. Mine is a fair bit wider....it overhangs about 2inches on either side from the edge of the bumper.
the dreaded old thread bump

now that apologies are out of the way...

F360: why is yours different than everyone elses? wider and overhang sounds intriguing...share your source if you can cheers
      03-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #113
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa
Quote:
Glad to hear yours is working good. I think combined with my little OEM rear lip it might make a good combo. Next year I am gonna grab a second trunk lid and get an APR wing like Chris.

I took the car out for a little rip tonight and took it to my fav 90mph S turns and the front end def felt much more stable. My lip is a bit different then the APR lips everybody else ordered. Mine is a fair bit wider....it overhangs about 2inches on either side from the edge of the bumper.
the dreaded old thread bump

now that apologies are out of the way...

F360: why is yours different than everyone elses? wider and overhang sounds intriguing...share your source if you can cheers
I wanted a bigger one then apr was willing to offer so I begged to get a larger version made. It took a bit of convincing but they made mine, if I remember correctly, 1 1/2 inches wider all around. I have no regrets and if I put a wing on I will most likely go bigger.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #114
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
I wanted a bigger one then apr was willing to offer so I begged to get a larger version made. It took a bit of convincing but they made mine, if I remember correctly, 1 1/2 inches wider all around. I have no regrets and if I put a wing on I will most likely go bigger.
If you don't mind giving me your advice on what kind of splitter solution I should go with...I'd really appreciate it. I have the wing on (so obnoxious on the street/i keep my head down lol) but need a better splitter. mstach is good for 100 miles before it's chipped to hell.

Should I be contacting APR about a larger version as well or was this kind of a one off thing? What are the benefits of wider aero vs siting flush with tehe bumper...Does it add much downforce without being angled?

Here's a shot of the car. Cheers man.

I just wish there was a better looking functional splitter for this car :/ Platteforme AG can fab one but they're in Cali. I heard ballpark of 1500 but it's chassis mounted of sorts and looks good imo. APR looks like an after thought but if it's the only thing out there I guess I'm getting one soon lol. arkym is just a lip i believe, yes?
      03-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #115
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
If you don't mind giving me your advice .....

I just wish there was a better looking functional splitter for this car :/ .....
JMO but I think the APR looks pretty damn good if done right

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #116
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
JMO but I think the APR looks pretty damn good if done right

yup can't argue with that! now about that fill piece. i'm like 2 years too late :/
      03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #117
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I agree with Ian.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #118
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

the filler is actually pretty easy to make if you know someone with a table saw
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #119
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

k i might be able to find someone w one in casual encounters
      03-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #120
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I only have about a 1/2 inch of overhang on the sides. I did not want to stretch the fender-liners to get a flush fit. I personally think it looks better than flush.

I did do a single high speed lap (pushed it faster than I normally go) and I went up the S's at 135MPH..

On a different note, what was really surprising is on one session, I had a E90 M3 on my tail but he never got close enough to warrant me giving a point by, and he could NOT out run me on the straights..... and I could out run him in the turns...

that is absurdly fast for the uphill S's. i take them at a touch over 115 and thought that was fast.

sorry for the bump lol i'm going over the install options i have because my splitter comes in on monday.

also since you're somewhat close, i'm doing VIR april 15-16. see if you can come!
      03-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #121
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When I did that run, it scared the crap out of me. Really scared me.... I really think I was VERY lucky.

I find that 115MPH is a good, fast speed that I am comfortable with. 120MPH starts to scare me a little so I keep it at 110-115. I'm not racing so there is no need.

The part of the VIR that the splitter really helps is turn 10. Of course, always have a exit plan on turn 10 if you take it too hot and you start to lose it....

April is out for me. I am still in Hawaii and was just extended until the latter half or the end of the April before I fly home. May is my month for VIR. I am doing another PCA event.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #122
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
When I did that run, it scared the crap out of me. Really scared me.... I really think I was VERY lucky.

I find that 115MPH is a good, fast speed that I am comfortable with. 120MPH starts to scare me a little so I keep it at 110-115. I'm not racing so there is no need.

The part of the VIR that the splitter really helps is turn 10. Of course, always have a exit plan on turn 10 if you take it too hot and you start to lose it....

April is out for me. I am still in Hawaii and was just extended until the latter half or the end of the April before I fly home. May is my month for VIR. I am doing another PCA event.
good stuff, i may see ya out there in May
      03-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #123
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
zubydafa,
When I did the splitter install the first time, it was a little bit of a pain in the butt and took a lot longer than I figured.

When I had to reinstall after the 'track incident' I found a better way. It only took about an hour and a half to bolt up.

I decided to put the splitter on two buckets and place the bumper cover on top, then use two spring clamps to hold it in place where you want it.
I do not have mine flush with the outer edge. The splitter sticks out about a 1/4" total. I feel this looks better.

It will take you some time to cut the spacers for the front to the correct length to make sure the splitter is angled properly. I have mine set so it is along the thrust line of the car. You can also apply some small angle correction at the rear of the splitter with a washer or two. If you use the two turnbuckles, these will also do some angle adjustment.

The bottom section of the bumper cover, between the two fangs actually is angled down, from front to rear, so the spacers will tend to flatten this piece out.

You have a wing so you will have to do some experimentation on what the best angle will be. I do not have a wing so I don't want the front to overpower the rear and make the rear lite...

Since I already had the mounting holes in the splitter, just mark and drill in the bumper.
What did take a little while longer was I wanted to install inTgr8r's trim piece I bought several months ago but never installed. I had to manufacture some metal mounting brackets so it was flush and solid.

I did not do any fancy brackets in the rear of the splitter like some other have. Since the rear of the splitter lines up with the curvature of the wheel housing, I used two 'L' brackets in this area. The whole assembly is rigid as hell.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #124
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
zubydafa,
When I did the splitter install the first time, it was a little bit of a pain in the butt and took a lot longer than I figured.

When I had to reinstall after the 'track incident' I found a better way. It only took about an hour and a half to bolt up.

I decided to put the splitter on two buckets and place the bumper cover on top, then use two spring clamps to hold it in place where you want it.
I do not have mine flush with the outer edge. The splitter sticks out about a 1/4" total. I feel this looks better.

It will take you some time to cut the spacers for the front to the correct length to make sure the splitter is angled properly. I have mine set so it is along the thrust line of the car. You can also apply some small angle correction at the rear of the splitter with a washer or two. If you use the two turnbuckles, these will also do some angle adjustment.

The bottom section of the bumper cover, between the two fangs actually is angled down, from front to rear, so the spacers will tend to flatten this piece out.

You have a wing so you will have to do some experimentation on what the best angle will be. I do not have a wing so I don't want the front to overpower the rear and make the rear lite...

Since I already had the mounting holes in the splitter, just mark and drill in the bumper.
What did take a little while longer was I wanted to install inTgr8r's trim piece I bought several months ago but never installed. I had to manufacture some metal mounting brackets so it was flush and solid.

I did not do any fancy brackets in the rear of the splitter like some other have. Since the rear of the splitter lines up with the curvature of the wheel housing, I used two 'L' brackets in this area. The whole assembly is rigid as hell.

Thanks for the helpful tips buddy!
      07-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #125
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Looks good... reminds me of junior high and having braces though...

Has anyone without the support rods run into any issues?

I'd really like to add this thing but how does it fare in real world driving i.e. can you guys go over speed bumps and ramps easily?
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #126
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

I run mine without the rods with zero issues, including track time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #127
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Looks good... reminds me of junior high and having braces though...

Has anyone without the support rods run into any issues?

I'd really like to add this thing but how does it fare in real world driving i.e. can you guys go over speed bumps and ramps easily?
I don't have the rods on mine and I have done many track days at Pocono Raceway with no issues. For those that don't know Pocono Raceway, when we run the IMSA course it includes two of the NASCAR banked turns and 2 super long straights where I was seeing 166mph (most likely 150ish real speed) on the speedo all day. If it can withstand this sort of aero force with out the rods I don't see it ever being an issue on the street.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #128
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Quote:
I don't have the rods on mine and I have done many track days at Pocono Raceway with no issues. For those that don't know Pocono Raceway, when we run the IMSA course it includes two of the NASCAR banked turns and 2 super long straights where I was seeing 166mph (most likely 150ish real speed) on the speedo all day. If it can withstand this sort of aero force with out the rods I don't see it ever being an issue on the street.
F360C ... you've almost sold me... how is your parking lot aka speed bump performance? Have you had any issues scraping the front? I might have to start carrying 2x4's in my trunk to clear ramps, etc
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #129
abashoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Hi F360C

Can you tell me more about the speedo readings. I had a hunch that it was off in the upper ranges, but not sure by how much. I say this im a novice driver and at NJMP lightning at the end of the straight the speedo says I hit 141-142. I just find it hard to believe.

Previously in my S52 Z3 MCoupe I would hit 125ish. I was pretty impressed that I picked up 15MPH. But I do have some doubts.

Also are we top speed limited to 155mph
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #130
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Hey guys, just adding the splitter to my setup, I have a question..

The bolts that attach the splitter to the bumper on the bottom, they also go through the bottom plastic fang and center bumper support.. How can I tighten these bolts, is there enough room via the kidneys to get my hands in there?

Cheers and thanks..