ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Importing a Z4

OK, I have read a couple of the "How to Import" threads both here and elsewhere but have a couple of questions for clarification:

1) I keep hearing about folks faxing in the title and invoice to the border 72 hours in advance but on this website... http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx under Lewiston, it talks about emailing them the info and that you will receive confirmation within 24hours. Has anyone here done it this way? Sounds way more efficient.

2) When they talk about sending the title, do they mean title with my name on it or the dealerships before sale? Just wondering, if its me, how can they put my name on title if I live out of state?

3) When they talk about invoice, do they need to see my signature?

4) What fax number do I use for Lewiston? I have seen a couple.

You see, as I am now home in Canada, I can't fly back just to sign paperwork, come home and wait 72 hours, fly back...etc. The dealership has no experience selling a car for export so I need to lay it out for them.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I did this over a year ago.

You 100% need the title of the car or else you will not get across the border. Ask me how I know. Stupid BMW dealer didn't send with car as they said they would.

Email your VIN and car make to BuffaloVINNYOFFICE@dhs.gov at least 72hrs in advance. They respond with an email with more info. Don't need to send them anything else.

Whole process takes 30min across both borders. On US side you show them the title and sales receipt. They check VIN on the car and you drive across. On Canadian side you have to show your receipts and tell them you are importing the car. She writes up a one page document for you and you park in front of the building. Walk inside, show them papers, laugh when they realize you don't pay duty. Pay your HST and off you go. I am not kidding, it took me 30min in total.

Once all done you send the warranty recall letter to RIV, or send it before you import. Pay their fee and wait 2-3 weeks for your sticker. Go register car.

** I found RIV did not respond if my warranty recall letter was any good or not so I had to follow up with them a few times. It's funny since my letter was from BMW NA but on the top it said not to be used for exporting the car out of USA. Yet I had no issues. Try to get that letter as part of the car when buying. If you can't I can also dig up names of people who can get it for you for cheaper than the $500 BMW charges. I got mine for free with purchase.

If you have more questions let me know and I can dig up all my old emails. I have all my paper work still (except title, they take it when you register car).

Last edited by Mirko; 11-04-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ that about covers it.

The other thing you need is a rider on your insurance that covers you to drive the car back.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 11-04-2012 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys...I think I had read most of that but wasn't sure about the emailing. I will have hem do that instead.

What I am still not clear about though...when you say to have them send the title, sorry to be naive, but will the title show my name or the previous owner/dealer's name. My question is do they need to put title in my name in PA before sending the title to the border? Its just a little complicated as they want original signatures on their docs before doing anything and since I am not about to fly back just to sign docs, it gets tricky.

BTW Mirko, it looks like the Inspection I may not have been done so if that's the case (and just to be safe) maybe I'll take you up on the offer to adjust the valves with your kit. Might just wait till spring since its likely to be parked after I get home anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Title will be the previous owner.
You don't want a US title, in some states younwould then have to pay the state tax.
You also want a temporary transport permit.
....The title changes to you in Canada
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Title will be the previous owner.
You don't want a US title, in some states younwould then have to pay the state tax.
You also want a temporary transport permit.
....The title changes to you in Canada
Thanks Ian, that's what I had thought...just wanted to confirm.

Yeah, they are getting me a temp permit.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I had a temp permit from the dealership I bought the car. However, I didn't know that we can't continue to use it after the car has been imported. Since you have to wait for 2-3 weeks for RIV to send the paper work so that you can register the car I just ran with that permit.

I was pulled over when going to get my clear bra installed in Toronto and the officer told me that. I let him know I was just getting a clear bra installed and the car isn't being used, with the RIV paperwork on the way. Didn't get a ticket.

Let me know and we can figure out a time that works to look at your valves. I suggest buying the head gasket kit from getbmwparts.com.
Appreciate 0