ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
loyddobbler88
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0i

Z4 Angel Eye Headlights HID???

Hey everyone, the headlights on my z4 are getting some pretty bad sun damage, cracking and everything, and I'm on the verge of buying these black halo aftermarket lights on ebay but am not sure if I will run into some trouble with installing them or not. Reason being, my oem lights are HID's and the the ones they sell on ebay come in Hid and non-hid form, obviously non-hid being a good amount less. Question is can I just wire the non-Hid headlights on my car using the existing HID I have? And I know that question sounds confusing and a little stupid but that what Im left with after speaking to some guy from one of these halo dealers in California. He told me that I can just buy the cheaper non-hid headlights and since my car came with HID's just hook them up to the existing wires and bam you have HID's. Only problem? Someone from another company today told me thats 100% false! I dont know what to believe now and really want to get rid of these old sun cracked lights already. I value your thoughts and opinions, throw them at me! thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to replace the outer lens and retain your existing xenon lamp and auto level mechanism?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to replace the outer lens and retain your existing xenon lamp and auto level mechanism?
I don't think the outer lens can be replaced as far as I know. However, I would certainly try one of the headlight restoration kits before replacing the entire light. They seem to give really good results if you get the one which attaches to your drill.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I don't think the outer lens can be replaced as far as I know. However, I would certainly try one of the headlight restoration kits before replacing the entire light. They seem to give really good results if you get the one which attaches to your drill.
^WHS

The 3M kit seems to get good reviews. I'm sure there are other options as well. I'm sure it goes w/o saying to tape off the area around the headlight with blue painter's tape or equivalent before starting in. Certainly worth a shot for under 20 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
loyddobbler88
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
^WHS

The 3M kit seems to get good reviews. I'm sure there are other options as well. I'm sure it goes w/o saying to tape off the area around the headlight with blue painter's tape or equivalent before starting in. Certainly worth a shot for under 20 bucks.
I actually used on of those kits by meguires and it turned out good but not great and then two months later . . . more cracking then before. And if your lights are really hazzy and bad I dont care what there advertisments say, those lens cleaning kits do NOT help at all. Mine were getting bad but not too noticable when I used it, Im just a neat freak and notice the slightest things starting to go wrong and try to fix them before the fully do. So it seems new lights are the only way to go and oem are sooo exspensive. Also I'm almost certain you cant just replace the lense but it would be a life saver if you could.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

If they're that far gone then you've got to replace them.

I'd try to find some OEMs that are used FS, or try a wrecker, and see what you can dig up. I believe you can use ones of newer MY cars (as long as E85/E86). An 06, 07, or 08 recycled light would probably be a lot cheaper than new, and better than some Ebay stuff (which get pretty poor cosmetic reviews).

If you go non-HID, you're have some wiring things to do that go beyond what I can advise about.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I agree, you will have to replace them if they started to crack. I have used the 3M kit and they did really great jobs restoring hazy headlights. The Polishing compound is a little bit weak. I used Menzerna superintensive polish and it yielded better results
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The headlight is a sealed unit. You cannot just replace the front. A new light assembly, minus the electricals (lights, starters, ballests etc) are not included when you buy a new light from BMW. The cost is approx. $875.00 (Tischer) or $1100 from the dealer.

I just bought one for the MC.... I know...

If you go the Ebay route, make SURE that all four mounting tabs are intact and good condition.

I have a spare left side non-HID in the garage. I picked it up to do a project on the Roadster but the interior color was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Zed2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 2.5

I replaced mine with the ones from eBay because i liked the look and got my old ones cleaned up. The ones I had cleaned up came from an 04 2.5 non xenon. I don't know if they could be useful but they look new since I had them cleaned
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If I ever have to replace mine, I'll probably want to stick with the zenons, as I really like the bright light for night time driving.

Gawd, I miss my car though. its been in storage since 21 November now. And, I am looking out the window at the snow storm raging outside. Yuck!!! Come on Spring - I'm sick of winter already!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mini

from what i know.....

If you go with an after rmarket headlight you can get the HID version but its slightly more expensive that the regular non HID. The headache comes in with the trouble of wiring it up. Ive been told that an adapter was needed for it. So it can be done, just make sure you get the HID version for your car and get the adapter. If you are going to a shop have them talk to whomever you will be buying the kit from so they are both on the same page.
The ebay kits are mostly the same types as the original maker of the after market kits if your looking at the ones i think your looking at (they have a top light bar and the turn signal is on the side with angel eyes for both beams right?)

When i looked into them cost was about $500 for a HID set plus the adapter and then labor. I opted not to do this due to reviews and research telling me not to do so. Not because of looks (i think they look cool) but reliability and build quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyddobbler88 View Post
I actually used on of those kits by meguires and it turned out good but not great and then two months later . . . more cracking then before. And if your lights are really hazzy and bad I dont care what there advertisments say, those lens cleaning kits do NOT help at all. Mine were getting bad but not too noticable when I used it, Im just a neat freak and notice the slightest things starting to go wrong and try to fix them before the fully do. So it seems new lights are the only way to go and oem are sooo exspensive. Also I'm almost certain you cant just replace the lense but it would be a life saver if you could.
Just a note, be sure to apply the "sealant" that comes with the kit once in a while---with the kits, what you're doing is basically sanding down a layer of the plastic. You also remove whatever UV protection layer there was on the plastic. It is important to use the sealant once in a while after you use the restorer kit; otherwise, you'll be back to yellowish haze in no time.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Zed2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 2.5

I bought the ones from eBay, and then installed an hid kit... It's looks awesome, especially with the halos.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
drew935
Rep
Drives: Suby

Yes, after polishing them, you'll need to seal them. Here's a good solution for doing that.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oat-2-0-a.html

some before and after
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
The cost is approx. $875.00 (Tischer) or $1100 from the dealer.
Each or for the pair?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
Each or for the pair?
If it's halogen, that price will get you both. For Xenon it'll get you a single side.
      03-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Xenon. Each...
Appreciate 0