ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
mpp33
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0i

Some questions about tires from a clueless person

I sincerely apologize for having such uninformed questions. But please bear with me.

1) Do I have to have Summer Tires, High-Performance tires, or any sports car tire? My priorities are low noise, as smooth a ride as possible, and tread life.

My parents bought me a 1998 z3 in college and now I can just barely afford my own car so about a year ago I bought a 2008 z4. I love the Z series purely for their design aesthetic and the top-lessness.

I do not love them because of their handling or zippiness. Well, I do. But those great factors are not the deciding factors for me.

Would it be noticeable/bad/un-heard-of for me to use a touring tire or something that gets 60k mile tread?

2) I have serious brake dust issues on the front two tires. I heard that in order to get new brake pads, I must take my car to BMW (it's still under CPO warrant) and have all of the brakes completely replaced for ~$1,000. Why can't I just get new ceramic brake pads? Or, can I?

Thanks for enduring my questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
mpp33
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0i

ps: i really do not want runflats anymore. i can buy a spare to keep in my trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Get some hankook v12 or Dunlop sport max tires. Yes. You can change just the brake pads to hawk ceramics or similar
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a very popular tire for the BMW community, especially for street driven cars. As for the front brake pads, you can swap them out yourself, or at a local independent shop if you don't want to take your car to the dealer for new pads.
      10-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
The tires mentioned can be considered performance tires and thus will not offer the mileage that you want out of them.

Short answer is yes, you can mount touring tires provided they're the same size as stock (to maintain the correct speedometer readings) and yes you can install regular tires i.e. non-runflats. I would urge though to at least mount good quality tires from a reputable brand purely for safety's sake.

The brake pads as mentioned can be replaced by other brands at an independent mechanic or by yourself if you're up for it.
      10-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
diehardtwo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza

Id also advice the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. A top tyre for sports/all round performance. If money is an issue see what a local used tyre place has in stock. Sometimes you get some gems. They may only last a year but from £60 quid for a full set might be a good option, especially if chash flow is main concern.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Everyone here is either crazy or didn't read the original post. OP clearly stated he's looking for comfort and long tread life. Handling is not his main concern and he's on a tight budget (inferred from his statement about barely able to afford his car). The Michelin PSS DO NOT FIT any of this criteria...

OP for what it's worth I run Continental DWS on my daily driver and I currently have 47k on them. I can easily get another 5k and 10 if I'm lucky. They are by far the most comfortable tires I've had and out lasted my previous set of Michelin A/S (38k). If you don't have snowy conditions during the winter, you can settle for the DW's (D = dry, W = wet, S = snow).

Another thing to keep in mind is 17's will run cheaper than 18" tires. If you can find a buyer for your 18's, you may want to look for an oem or aftermarket set of 17" rims square fitment (equal width front and rear). This will allow you to rotate your tires which will help extend its life.

Also be sure to research aftermarket brake pads. While some may offer low(er) dust as compared to oem, they may squeal more during which is more annoying in my opinion.
      11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

DSC_OFF makes some great suggestions. I also have the DWS for my daily driving and they are a great value. Also handle wonderfully in lousy weather. Best bang for the buck for all season tires. If I remember right, I was out the door for $600 for my 16" application at Discount Tire. I have 12k + on them.

Could go with the DW as an alternate if you don't encounter too much harsh weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
TAL2GK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe, 2017 911

This is actually helpful. I'm in the midst of research for my first tire change in 9 years (albeit only 35k miles). Switching to non-runflats, of course, and I don't need any winter or freezing temps since I live in NC and she only comes out to play when its nice out.

I'll be looking for performance, mileage, and price in that order. Performance doesn't need to be ultra, but since this can be summer rubber only I might as well get some good grip as long as they don't burn off every 20k.
Appreciate 0