ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
crumb
Private
Rep
Drives: honda

Aftermarket stereo head unit

Has anyone installed an aftermarket head unit on their Z4? Are there any risks in doing this? Would this compromise the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

It wouldn't compromise the warranty, but if you have the Business/premium package, you'll likely need the "JL audio: Cleansweep" to make it work with the factory amp.
      03-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

All depends on the year or your car and the type of factory radio you have. I took a stock '03 2.5i w the Business CD radio and trashed that pc of junk. Put an Alpine head unit in w wire harness to the factory amp (for that year, the stock amp was able to take a "hot" signal), added 2 10" JL audio subs w custom modified box in the trunk and could not be happier. Later model radio's are more difficult and like Graham M said you will need a Cleansweep to upgrade. There are some great posts and threads by lots of people who upgraded theirs...search the site.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Valarr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
All depends on the year or your car and the type of factory radio you have. I took a stock '03 2.5i w the Business CD radio and trashed that pc of junk. Put an Alpine head unit in w wire harness to the factory amp (for that year, the stock amp was able to take a "hot" signal), added 2 10" JL audio subs w custom modified box in the trunk and could not be happier. Later model radio's are more difficult and like Graham M said you will need a Cleansweep to upgrade. There are some great posts and threads by lots of people who upgraded theirs...search the site.
any pics?