ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Z4 in NYC?

Calling out to all Z4 drivers here in NYC! I want to hear about your experience having a Z4 in this city. I just moved here from LA for school and left my car behind but I feel worse about not having it here than I'd thought Seeing how I will be a marginally broke student for the next 3 years, I don't think there's much hope but I still want to hear how others are working out the parking & weather problems. Does everybody have a 2nd car?
I'm living in Morningside Heights in the UWS Manhattan if that can help.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

Welcome to NYC.

I don't live in the city, but I work on 5th ave. Parking is terrible, people can't drive, taxi and bus drivers are nuts. The roads are ok, but after winter and all that salt, you can be driving on a perfect road, make a right turn and now your on the worst road ever. If I lived in the city, I wouldn't own a car, to much stop and go traffic, bumper to bumper street parking, tow trucks and cops just itching to meet quota.

I live in long island, where you need a car.. I don't have many stores near me in walking distance. Roads are better in Long Island as well.
I recently got this car and I haven't had a winter with it yet, but I have a 2nd car.

I'd miss it to if I had to leave my car behind, sucks! sorry to hear but it's probably for the best.
      08-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Better off not bringing it.. my tsx has like 30 dings on all 4 doors because people are ass hats when they park next to you... I only drive my z4 out to places that has large parking spaces.. mostly long islands

on top of that half the people can't parallel park so yeah ur bumper gets taken out.. my tsx has crap load of parking accident
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Ah so no car for me The only option would be transferring out of NYC and back to a CA school next year. I have been here for only a week but so far I am not a happy camper.
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I knew the answer but needed some unbiased confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'd trade the the z4 for a few years and enjoy the number of amazingly hot women that prowl the city.. I fall in love like 10 times crossing the street.. shessh

If the school in NYC is better then the one in Cali, I would stay in NYC, a Z4 at the end of the day, is just a material item and not worth giving up a better education for.

The most difficult choices are usually the right ones.
      08-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

I take mine into the city every once in a while. I even park it on the street and once I even parked it over night on the street. My area my buddy lives at, 79th and Park, is pretty nice though. I usually grab a spot right behind this Cayman. Most times I take another car but sometimes I can't resist taking the M Coupe. Usually though if I am going to park over night I spring the $60 for a garage. The only thing that bothers me is the pot holes because I feel like I am on an autocross course avoiding those things. The sound of the exhaust though is incredible bouncing off the buildings and especially in the tunnels on 81st going through Central Park! I can't drive though the city with out a bunch of people taking pics of the car.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
steveayd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe

I work on 77th and Lex, and on the weekends, I occasionally drive in with the coupe. Never had any issues. Park and 70's is a nice 'hood (not really a 'hood). Its the upper east side, where a lot of nice cars on sitting on the streets. Now, upper WEST side (or Harlem) I would not trust as much. Parking garage is an option, although, they are risky to. Anyone who walks down into the garage sees how close those dude place the cars to one another, something is bound to happen to someones paint. If this is temp, I would leave the coupe in good hands somewhere, and visit it while you drove around a beater in the city, that is if you have the means to.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveayd View Post
I work on 77th and Lex, and on the weekends, I occasionally drive in with the coupe. Never had any issues. Park and 70's is a nice 'hood (not really a 'hood). Its the upper east side, where a lot of nice cars on sitting on the streets. Now, upper WEST side (or Harlem) I would not trust as much. Parking garage is an option, although, they are risky to. Anyone who walks down into the garage sees how close those dude place the cars to one another, something is bound to happen to someones paint. If this is temp, I would leave the coupe in good hands somewhere, and visit it while you drove around a beater in the city, that is if you have the means to.
Dude you are right around the corner from my boys place! He is at 901 Park on the corner of 79th and Park. Who would have thought two M Coupes so close to each other! I am usually there on saturday nights and sundays. In fact one of my fav sunday morning breakfest spots is the Lenox Hill Grill. I don't feel really worried about parking my car anywhere around there. I am going to look for you car next time I am there on a saturday

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
NOT worth it.

Your car will accrue so many dings, dents and scratches it will drive you nuts. You will be looking up local PDR (paintless dent repair) and touch-up guys constantly on craigslist.

Monthly parking varies but that won't do you any good since every parking attendant parks by "feel", ie touching bumpers - yes I saw this with my own eyes. I flipped out and the guy just apologized and said they have an in-house touch up guy who can fix it. Just goes to show how normal this is for them to hire someone like that.

And not to mention, but street parking is a biatch. Between street cleaning rules, switching spots on alternating days, having people park 1mm away from you so you can't pull out... it's just not worth the stress. And there's always the chance of vandalism... can't tell you how many times I've seen drunken a$$hats randomly walk by and kick someone's mirror or something douchy like that.

Lastly, NY drivers suck! Sorry NY'ers... I admit Jersey drivers all have road rage and we're always in a hurry but at least we acknowledge what a proper lane change is. In the city it's always a game of chicken. It's I'll change lanes w/o bothering to signal or check my mirror b/c the other person should a) expect it or b) too chicken to make contact and will back off.

I rarely take my Z4 into the city. If I do I'm super anal about where I park (first or last spot of the block, under a well-lit area, and away from any garbage - NYC garbage trucks or notorious for dropping garbage cans on cars, sideswiping parked cars, etc. ). Or pay the garage attendant to keep the car by the entrance and not bother moving it since I'll be back quick enough.
      08-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Btw where are you going to school?

OH yea, we should do a NYC gtg... some Dinosaur BBQ or Brothers Jimmys!???
      08-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Btw where are you going to school?

OH yea, we should do a NYC gtg... some Dinosaur BBQ or Brothers Jimmys!???
Brother Jimmysss! Love that place soo much. Never been to Dino BBQ

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Dino BBQ is good. My friend lives around the corner from it
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
abajana
Bajaņa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0

I'm from the UWS... washington heights. Have a Z4... people don't respect your vehicle much here in the city. I watch mine like a hawk lol... Should do a Z4 gtg
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Where are these places? I am still getting used to not having a car and will be trying the subway this weekend. Looks like all the good places are in lower manhattan so recommendations for good UWS hangouts are definitely welcome!
I am going to CLS but everybody says the cool kids go to NYU and so far the other students in the class of 2013 here look a bit too serious and uptight :S
Where in UWS are you Abajana? I am at W 116th & Amsterdam.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

lol cool kids go to nyu? I duno about that. Being cool is a person to person thing.

I'm down for the z4 meet!
      08-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Where are these places? I am still getting used to not having a car and will be trying the subway this weekend. Looks like all the good places are in lower manhattan so recommendations for good UWS hangouts are definitely welcome!
I am going to CLS but everybody says the cool kids go to NYU and so far the other students in the class of 2013 here look a bit too serious and uptight :S
Where in UWS are you Abajana? I am at W 116th & Amsterdam.
congrats... but seems like u won't need the z4 considering your first year will be spent 24/7 in the library!

btw, dinosuar bbq is VERY close to you. check it out, one of the best bbq places, it's right under the west side hwy...

646 West 131st Street
New York, NY‎
(212) 694-1777‎

not exactly NYC but few of us in Northern NJ hope to have a meet soon. You guys should cross the GWB and join us, hopefully do a cruise to Bear Mtn or something...
      08-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #17
abajana
Bajaņa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0

yeah I'm up in the 180's next to the GWB... yeah dinosaur bbq, great spot! I'm up for a nice drive to bear mountain as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
lrcigar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 2.5 Roadster

Welcome to NYC. your going to be very upset as time goes by and you keep finding dings and such on your ZED. I live in midtown west, but I keep my Z at my weekend home in PA. Every time I drive it into the city something happens. 2 months ago someone backed into my car as he/she was trying to leave the parking spot, 1 month ago someone must have been leaning on it, and scratched the paint. 2 weeks ago I hit a pothole and the right side of the front fender came a little loose. And a few days ago someone flicked a cigarette butt on the softop and burned it slightly.

I don't like bringing it to the city, but sometimes I have no choice: it needed a new soft top motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
i hate bringing my Z in city.i live in queens and i hate driving in queens,brooklyn,bronx and in city. Roads sucks/People sucks.
Appreciate 0