ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Which Wind Deflector?

I’m considering getting a wind deflector for my 2006 Z4. I’m considering the clear acrylic one or the mesh one. They are both shown at the following link:

http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page69.html

The clear acrylic one is cheaper and I like the look better. The mesh one is more than $100 more and I think I’ve seen comments that it is hard to install. I recall that the parts guy at a BMW dealer I talked to told me that he was surprised at how much trouble the mesh unit was to install.

Can anyone comment on which is best? Is the clear one easy to install, and remove when you don’t want to use it? How about the mesh one?

And are the things effective, regardless of which one I get?

Cheers and thanks!

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
MiniDrew
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Jet Black Z4

I have the BMW OEM mesh deflector that I use when my wife is in the car. I don't care much for it. It doesn't seem to do much good and blocks my vision. I would buy a clear acrylic one if I were buying another one.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

The instructions for installing the clear one are pretty straight forward and simple and comes with all the parts you need. The instructions for installing the factory mesh unit are rather complex, plus the cost of the kit. There is also a slip over factory mesh unit, that a drunk could probably install in a few minutes.

I've had two of the factory mesh windblockers on my cars and have loved them. I like the capability to install and remove easily and the factory units do that after the initial setup. I don't know how well it works on a Z.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
iridelow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M roadster

I bought a used factory net screen off of e-bay for $150. had to order the brackets from BMW for about $25. I had no instructions, but it's common sense. I measured, marked the spot and drilled 4 small holes. The brackets mounted perfectly and the screen locks in and out in 2 seconds! Visability is effected a little, but it does block some wind and looks and fits as a factory one should. A new cost about $400 and i'm sure BMW would charge you over $100 to install it. Not worth it in my eyes. I would go with a cheaper one maybe even an aftermarket e-bay version and only use it on trips. They little bit of difference it makes is not worth the money or trouble!
      11-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Smile

Greetings from Beijing--am here for some time and saw the post. My Z4 stateside has the roadster solutions one and we love it. It took all of maybe 20 minutes to install, only because I measured three times for centering and made sure the wipes to remove dirt etc were used properly before adhering the three guides. I did not use the ones behind the seats...just the middle unit. I liked the polish cleaner he sends..works wonders and no scratches, does not interefer with top up and down. I did use some soapy wax on edges of plastic unit so as you slip into guides easier. Only issue is: if you take it out you need a storage bag or risk scratching...but now ours in in all the time. Clear view at night which mesh is not as good--we had one on the Z3...not as nice. Just one take on it...good luck...but its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
dillrob
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

I have a geniune mesh deflector

I can get you a geniune BMW mesh wind deflector for $200. I'm not sure what the other poster was referring to about brackets, but the BMW wind deflector is mesh and leather. There are leather covers with mesh inside which go over the rollbars and mesh in the mid-section. They are fastened with three straps per roll-bar. Each strap has a metal piece on the end which catches under the trim. The straps then adjust tightly. It comes with a small bag to carry it in when not in use. Takes about 10-15 to install the first time. Let me know. You can email me at dillrob@gmail.com. Bob
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
iridelow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillrob View Post
I can get you a geniune BMW mesh wind deflector for $200. I'm not sure what the other poster was referring to about brackets, but the BMW wind deflector is mesh and leather. There are leather covers with mesh inside which go over the rollbars and mesh in the mid-section. They are fastened with three straps per roll-bar. Each strap has a metal piece on the end which catches under the trim. The straps then adjust tightly. It comes with a small bag to carry it in when not in use. Takes about 10-15 to install the first time. Let me know. You can email me at dillrob@gmail.com. Bob
The one you are talking about is the"cheaper" slide over mesh wind deflector that BMW sells as an after market item. the one I am talking about is a factory installed wind deflector that slides between the two roll bars and locks down. They cost almost $400 new, but you can find them used on the web because a lot of leased cars came with them and the owners remove them and sell them before they turn the car in off the lease. But you have to order the brackets and mount the brackets yourself.
      11-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
dillrob
Rep

windscreen

I still don't know of the windscreen you are referring to. The "cheaper" one that I bought and installed sells for $240 on eBay and $299 on Amazon and it is a BMW part. It does attach by sliding over the rollbars and then securely clamping to the body. I am aware of the aftermarket plexiglass versions as well which I think look cool but they weren't for me due to glare concerns. Can you post a photo of the one you are referring to or provide the BMW part number since I can't find other types on the internet.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Dillrob - can you send me a photo and the BMW part number?

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
dillrob
Rep

Huz - Don't have your email so I sent you a private message. Bob
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Thanks very much!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
iridelow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The one i have does not go over the roll bars. It slides between them on rails and locks in with self locking clips. it only takes two seconds to lock it in! I will post picks whaen i get a chance.
      11-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #13
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Follow this link to see a photo of my RoadsterSolutions clear acrylic - best windscreen IMO, nicer looking than mesh and no blind spots
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=11

Most difficult part of install is the roll hoop pieces, but I eventually removed them - brought back a little more air, and not really needed IMO.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

But aren't the three guides for the acrylic panel permanently attached to the roll hoops and the top of the SOS panel?

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
But aren't the three guides for the acrylic panel permanently attached to the roll hoops and the top of the SOS panel?
Yes. The issue with the RS version is it is not supposed to be removed/replaced repeatedly. It is designed to be installed and stay in place. How do you get to the rear window to clean it? You have to remove it periodically and this will eventually lead to problems.

For dillrob, here is the other OEM windscreen: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ght=windscreen

As you can see, it has a much more professional "factory" look. It also has brackets to hold the removable center section in the trunk for times you don't want it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Yes. The issue with the RS version is it is not supposed to be removed/replaced repeatedly. It is designed to be installed and stay in place. How do you get to the rear window to clean it? You have to remove it periodically and this will eventually lead to problems.
If you're willing to go without the side roll hoop pieces, as I have, you can reach the inside rear window for cleaning through the roll hoops.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I've had the acrylic version in since I brought the car home in March. Since then I haven't needed to clean the inside of the rear window. I don't think that should be a worry at all. Unless you smoke in the car with the top up, the rear window should rarely need cleaning. If it does, just stop the top while it's halfway up and clean it then.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The RS one is not bad IMHO and can probably be cleaned if need by by stopping the roof halw way as you say.

The very fancy OEM BMW one is ideal but I expect it will cost me about $500 and is a bit of work to install.

The mesh OEM BMW one though, is little work to install and can be whipped off in no time at all. I think I can get one for a decent price too.

Any other sage words of advice from folks?

And thanks for all the info!

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
dillrob
Rep

I didn't even know that factory windscreen existed. I probably wouldn't have bought one anyway due to the price (primarily) and the install. Bob
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #20
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've had the acrylic version in since I brought the car home in March. Since then I haven't needed to clean the inside of the rear window. I don't think that should be a worry at all. Unless you smoke in the car with the top up, the rear window should rarely need cleaning. If it does, just stop the top while it's halfway up and clean it then.
I suppose it can work either way. I did not put the roll hoop inserts in with the OEM hard windblocker either. I find the windows need more cleaning than you think(and I am not a smoker). The plastics seem to release a lot of gases which accumulate on the windows. I bet if you checked yours and cleaned it, you would find there is a fair amount of buildup.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #21
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I suppose it can work either way. I did not put the roll hoop inserts in with the OEM hard windblocker either. I find the windows need more cleaning than you think(and I am not a smoker). The plastics seem to release a lot of gases which accumulate on the windows. I bet if you checked yours and cleaned it, you would find there is a fair amount of buildup.
Maybe so. I don't drive top up very often, but on a few recent trips with it up I haven't noticed it needing any cleaning.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
The mesh OEM BMW one though, is little work to install and can be whipped off in no time at all. I think I can get one for a decent price too.

Any other sage words of advice from folks?
Yes, one more thought - I used to drive a Z3, and had the OEM mesh windscreen designed for that car. Two problems with the (Z3) mesh compared to the (Z4) acrylic, 1) general visibility and blind spot across the top, and 2) cleaning - the mesh traps dust and dirt, whereas the acrylic can simply be dusted in place (or occasionally cleaned with Plexus in place).

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0