ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i

03 Z4 Code 28AE - Torque Limitation

03 Z4 3.0i 6sp - Battery went dead several months ago and dash would light up like a christmas tree. Replaced battery and went in to clear codes. Noticed code 28ae stored in PCM. Vehicle runs fine and no SES light on. Also had a couple of actuator coded in the HVAC module, though no issues there I can detect either. Cleared all codes from all modules. Hit my mind about a week later to recheck. 28ae back in vehicle. 2 HVAC actuator codes also back in vehicle, though I am not too concerned with that. Checked codes with 2 scan tools, Snap On MODIS and Launch X431 to ensure I was not getting a communication error, which I have on a few Euro vehicles with aftermarket tools. Typically lack of displaying codes rather than displaying ones that aren't there, just covering my bases. Using Shopkey5 (Mitchell), no code listed or repair info available. Have searched online and found a couple of threads with the code listed, but no info on where to proceed. Car has 99k on it now. I have the VANOS seal kit, CCV kit, 2 O2 sensors, and some gaskets to perform the 100k service, just haven't gotten around to it. Curious as to if maybe the VANOS seals may be an issue, though I have no symptoms of them being bad, purely purchased for maintenance reasons. Car had 89K when I purchased it, and has had no running issues. Just curious as to if anyone can enlighten me on what this code refers to and to where to start diagnosis.
Appreciate 0