ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #23
nemotw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Did you guys run into any front wheel/tire clearance problems with the helper springs? I've seen a few posts where folks have chosen to run a 5" spring with no helper. Vorshlag recommends a 6" spring with no helper for the Z4MC. However, MCS definitely recommends using helper springs if it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #24
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Omg this thread is so old I had to delete my comments
      04-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #25
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemotw View Post
Did you guys run into any front wheel/tire clearance problems with the helper springs? I've seen a few posts where folks have chosen to run a 5" spring with no helper. Vorshlag recommends a 6" spring with no helper for the Z4MC. However, MCS definitely recommends using helper springs if it is possible.
I don't have helper springs and they aren't rly needed. It's in case your both wheels go airborne to keep spring in place. That's it pretty much
      04-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #26
nemotw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Thanks. I was curious because Ontrack and sabbanick mentioned the helper springs. I wasn't sure if they would fit when running 255 or 265 tires. For the front, I have been using 18x9.5 ET 35 wheels with 255/35/R18 tires on stock dampers with Vorshlag camber plates. I currently use a 5 mm spacer to prevent rubbing on the strut. I'm planning to upgrade the suspension to MCS and I was thinking about ordering a set of helpers to experiment with fitment.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #27
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

This is absolutely perfect timing. Been working on selecting an upgrade for a couple of weeks now. I’ve been running on the H&R Street for the last 3 years, but I think I’ve reached the potential limit. We’ve dialed in so much camber (-3.9 front and -2.8 rear) to compensate for tire wear on the outside 25%, that I need an upgrade now. The H&R served me well during the learning phase...I did 37 days in 2016, 34 days in 2017, and I’ve put 11 days in so far this year. Time to upgrade.

So the choices have come down to MCS, Clubsports, and Ohlins. Yes, I know the Ohlins do not fit, but we are looking at changing front end to E46 if we go that route. The clubsports and the MCS seem to be similar pricing (comparing MSC 2-way without remote).

So on to the question. I spoke with MCS today about springs. Trevor thinks 700f with 750r should be a good match (this car sees no street time unless driving to local tracks). I’m not a suspension engineer, and some of seems like voodoo magic anyhow. But I thought I would ask if anyone is running springs that high and what the handling is like.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #28
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemotw View Post
Thanks. I was curious because Ontrack and sabbanick mentioned the helper springs. I wasn't sure if they would fit when running 255 or 265 tires. For the front, I have been using 18x9.5 ET 35 wheels with 255/35/R18 tires on stock dampers with Vorshlag camber plates. I currently use a 5 mm spacer to prevent rubbing on the strut. I'm planning to upgrade the suspension to MCS and I was thinking about ordering a set of helpers to experiment with fitment.
Just get 5" spring front and rear and you will be fine
      04-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #29
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
This is absolutely perfect timing. Been working on selecting an upgrade for a couple of weeks now. I've been running on the H&R Street for the last 3 years, but I think I've reached the potential limit. We've dialed in so much camber (-3.9 front and -2.8 rear) to compensate for tire wear on the outside 25%, that I need an upgrade now. The H&R served me well during the learning phase...I did 37 days in 2016, 34 days in 2017, and I've put 11 days in so far this year. Time to upgrade.

So the choices have come down to MCS, Clubsports, and Ohlins. Yes, I know the Ohlins do not fit, but we are looking at changing front end to E46 if we go that route. The clubsports and the MCS seem to be similar pricing (comparing MSC 2-way without remote).

So on to the question. I spoke with MCS today about springs. Trevor thinks 700f with 750r should be a good match (this car sees no street time unless driving to local tracks). I'm not a suspension engineer, and some of seems like voodoo magic anyhow. But I thought I would ask if anyone is running springs that high and what the handling is like.
It is a little high imo.
Do you have a wing?
No wing I had 550 with wing I have 650 in the rear
Car weights 2800 without driver though.

If your car is a lot heavier than it might be a good choice but still seems high for me.

Nobody knows how stiff the Z4m is until they drive one at the track. So I stopped getting advices from people who are not super fast at the track and doesn't own a z4. People here actually got really good knowledge about what is good for our cars.

When I had 750lbs in the rear, it was rough to get on gas early coming out of the corner
Mirko182.00
      04-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #30
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

Thanks for the input. There is currently no wing installed and I’ve not taken weight out of the stock configuration, save for a few pounds with RPI exhaust.

I think I’ve reached the potential of the car on the track in current setup. My last 7 days on VIR, lap times are stuck at 2:12 - 2:13. I’m not sure times are going to drastically change with a new suspension, but I’m eating the outside edges of the tires, particularly in the front, running 265 square. I can flip the RE71s, so it’s not a total loss, but I would like to have a little better initial turn-in and quicker/sooner application of throttle.

I’ll talk with the bimmerworld guys. James has been on the track with me a few times, I’m sure he has some suggestions. I’ll add aero later this year and take out some weight.
Appreciate 0