ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

BMW TIS no longer available online

I'm sure this is now old news, but does anyone have a link to a good DVD containing the entire BMW repair manuals? Has anyone had good success with the Ebay DVDs?
      02-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
This was actually discussed in a thread here within the last month or so. People are buying TIS DVDs on eBay.

Do a search and you'll probably find the original thread.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Bought one and it works great
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I bought one too, and unfortunately the TIS doesn't work with windows 7 64 bit.. Just be sure you know that, because I didn't know that until after I bought the CD. Fortunately I have an ancient computer with windows XP.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Thanks guys. I ordered on as well. All my tuning laptops are WinXP 32bit anyway simple due to the fact that most ecu programs also have a hard time with 64bit.
      02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
I bought one too, and unfortunately the TIS doesn't work with windows 7 64 bit.. Just be sure you know that, because I didn't know that until after I bought the CD. Fortunately I have an ancient computer with windows XP.
If you have win 7 pro 64 bit, you can run XP in a window...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
If you have win 7 pro 64 bit, you can run XP in a window...
Yeah unfortunately I don't have Win 7 Pro, but win 7 home, so I can't get XP mode. Upgrading to Win 7 Pro might be easier than messing around with my old XP computer.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

You might like to check out the M3Cutters forum...

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=75

They highly recommend software from this UK company that offers a "one click" install of software on your computer.

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/

BM Technic | BMW Diagnostic Cable | BMW Diagnostic Software « Diagnostic & Coding Cable with software for BMW. Automatic One Click Software Installation and BMW Cable with Ignition Detection.

"Coding and Programming features are also possible with our BMW cable package, not just diagnostic facilities! SSS Progman, NCS Expert and WinKFP are the tools for carrying out these tasks. The first being the recommended method for beginners and you can then move on to the advanced tools when you have gained some experience. [...]"

The Forum page dedicated to this company has 14 pages that attest to the easy of install ... And the company offers support in installing the program if a difficulty is experienced. They also offer patches for translating German to English...where required.
      12-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Another option (in addition to running the TIS in XP Mode using Win Pro or Ultimate): Check out VirtualBox from a Sun Microsystems.

It's free.

You can set up a small virtual machine running an XP OS and then install the TiS on the VM.

VirtualBox will also run other OS's too. So if you want a flavor of Linux at your fingertips after booting into your Windows OS...

I highly recommend conducting all internet activity (browsing, posting, downloading, etc) via a VM. Very safe as it insulates your primary OS from external influences such as viruses and malware.

OK, sorry. I'll stop with the geek stuff now.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
Yeah unfortunately I don't have Win 7 Pro, but win 7 home, so I can't get XP mode. Upgrading to Win 7 Pro might be easier than messing around with my old XP computer.
I tried running it like this, and was not successful. I think the software requires to many important configuration steps to run properly in XP mode.

I would recommend trying to find an old laptop lying around to run it on. Or maybe dual booting to XP or something. I'm thinking about installed XP to a big SD card and running it from my macbook pro (which has win7 64 as its primary OS).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Msh!! mate i love your option of running your browser session in a VM environment. that seriously never came up in my mind.. gotta love the layer.