ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Anyone use a traditional front bra?

I'm conflicted right now. I just had my bumper touched up after a road incident and it's perfect. I was thinking of getting it clear bra professionally installed, but all of the quotes are between $350 - $450 for a kit.

I can get it retouched up every few years for almost the same money.

However, 95% of my driving isn't to car shows or events, I don't want to spend the money on a clear bra, but I also want to protect the car.

I was thinking of doing a traditional bra: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...CenterId=32111

I would take it off when I go to shows and events, but leave it on when doing my fun weekend driving.

I don't really care how I look while on the back roads, so aesthetics don't matter. I can always take it off.

However, I hear they can scratch up your clear coat.

Has anyone experienced this? Will regular washing help prevent this? How long does it take to scratch it up?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Yikes!
Those things are FUGLEY!

....besides that I'm not sure that it would help much.
It has to rub where it gets fastened & if anything is between it will scratch like crazy.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I know they're ugly, but I don't care when I'm on the back roads.

Only care about protection.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
What's the point of keeping the paint pristine if you can't even see it. Touch up jobs never come out great or last long. Factory quality paint is expensive and unless you're paying at least 5 bills I wouldn't trust the paint job. Clear bra seems like the clear winner to me.
      02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
dean911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Used them in the past but you have to be careful to remove them after they get wet. I was very good about that until I messed up on my old 911. Drove out of town on a foggy day and parked at a family members house and took his car. The fog left enough moisture on the car to run down the hood and under the bra. When the sun came out it cooked the moisture under the bra and left the blue paint stained white. It never went away. Even letting it cook in the sun after, never cleared the stain. Not sure if modern clearcoat paint would do that but after I found the clearbra product I never looked back. Besides, I think they look kind of ugly too.

Just my 2 cents though.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

+1 for a clear bra.
      02-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Hogndos
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i Titanium Silver

You'll do more damage with one of those vinyl bra's than you'd ever get from rock chips. The problem is that no matter how good the mounting system, there is always some movement when you're scooting down the road at 75mph...this translates in wear spots and scratches...had one a 280Z years ago...was locked into it just to cover the damage due to rubbing and paint hazing from the "protector" itself...run away...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Last time I saw one of those on a car was 1997, let alone a BMW. If you're on "back roads", you shouldn't have anything to worry about anyway because traffic = chips.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
TAL2GK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe, 2017 911

Just say no.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #10
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

I'm not going to do a clear bra. It just doesn't make since to pay to protect something for the same cost to have it touched up when it needs it.

I really don't care how it looks. Hell, I'd even do painters tape.

I was most concerned was permanent damage done by the bra.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

The difference is the touched up car never looks as good as it used to. You are also protected all of the time. With the bra you end up taking it on and off all the time and dealing with the rubbing/water under it and I am assuming it is a big mistake to put it on the front end of a car that isn't perfectly clean.

All to save $250-$350 over the time you have the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
I'm not going to do a clear bra. It just doesn't make since to pay to protect something for the same cost to have it touched up when it needs it.

I was most concerned was permanent damage done by the bra.
That's why you get it resprayed once, do it right and clearbra afterwards. I learned my lesson after paying for my 3rd respray in 5 years. First was a bs touchup job, 2nd was due to damage on track. Third luckily paid out of someone else's pocket. After that I got a custom clearbra (no template available for the Aero bumper). Comes with 10 year warranty, can't even tell it's on. Think how much touchups will cost over 10 years.

(Once it's spread/pressed on, you can't even see it around the grills)

And becareful ont he painter's tape, if you go that route MAKE sure it's automotive painter's tape. I used the home stuff for drywall on track days. On one summer weekend, we had random heavy downpour during mid session. When I pulled the tape off after my last session (85* and sunny), I ended up pulling off the paint as well!

Last edited by 3002 tii; 02-20-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

As DSC_OFF said, your logic is off. Your point about the cost of a clear bra vs a respray is mute as once you have the clear bra you won't EVER need another respray. Think of it as paying for two resprays at once, but then never again(unless you have a wreck)...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
The difference is the touched up car never looks as good as it used to. You are also protected all of the time. With the bra you end up taking it on and off all the time and dealing with the rubbing/water under it and I am assuming it is a big mistake to put it on the front end of a car that isn't perfectly clean.

All to save $250-$350 over the time you have the vehicle.
Yes it does. It wasn't a complete respray, spots were blended and it was re-cleared.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
As DSC_OFF said, your logic is off. Your point about the cost of a clear bra vs a respray is mute as once you have the clear bra you won't EVER need another respray. Think of it as paying for two resprays at once, but then never again(unless you have a wreck)...
A clear bra doesn't last forever, you probably would get 3, MAYBE up to 5 years from it before 1. the rock chips start to show 2. the edges eventually peel and 3. it would start to yellow. Clear bras aren't a permanent solution.

Also, no one in my area does a custom, complete wrapped clear bra. They ONLY use the kits. If there was a custom, complete wrap in my area for around $500 I would do that. The one custom quote I got included the hood and it was for $1,500 +.

Not a huge fan of the kits for our M bumpers because it doesn't cover it all, and there are lots of areas for lines to show up.

I ordered a can of this to see how it works: http://www.amazon.com/Performix-0758.../dp/B000LNN11G

I would just remove it before a show or event, spraying is pretty easy.

Yes, I am aware that it gives it a matte finish, but again, I don't really care how it looks when I'm just driving it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
That's the whole point of the 10 year warranty. If the edges begin peeling, material starts yellowing or rock chips start penetrating, they'll replace it for free. The quote including hood for $1500 sounds isn't apples to apples because the oem bra wouldn't protect your hood neither. I live in the NYC area where prices are high for everything and I got a custom front done for $425. I'd imagine a template based kit would be even cheaper, like $350. And for what it's worth, a pre-cut kit isn't necessarily bad. I would've actually preferred that if they offered one.

But you seem pretty set on not wanting to clearbra so this is all moot. Let us know how the clear plastidip works out. Be careful on the overspray if you're going to cover such a large area. Btw have you looked into opti-coat?

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html
      02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

I initially wanted a clear bra, but some people have said with the touch up clear coat, that it might peel. Which wouldn't be a problem if it is installed correctly the first time. I have seen horror stories about a bad install.

I know about the 10 year warranty, and would get a clear bra IF I wasn't skeptical about the warranty. But which company actually ever honors that? Seriously, I've dealt with numerous companies like Dell, Apple, Mazda, even BMW on occasion, and it's like pulling teeth to get them to honor even the most obvious of issues covered under warranty.

What's a small, local guy going to say when I come into his shop 5, 6 or 9 years from now and tell him I want another clear bra installed (assuming they are still in business)?

He'll probably say I washed it wrong, I left it out, I used the wrong wax, I drove it too much, the warranty doesn't cover XYZ, I have to pay for labor, the warranty is for materials only.........
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

What type of clear bra did you have done, DSC_OFF? I know there are several types and they're not all created equal. My car's is starting to look pretty tired after 6 years so I'm gonna have it pulled in a couple months and have it redone after some paint correction.
      02-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

If that statement is true, then just leave the rock chips. I'm starting to have more and more chips, but I honestly don't care. The car was bought to be driven and driven it shall be. If it ever gets REALLY bad then I may have it resprayed but for now I'll just consider them battle scars.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I initially wanted a clear bra, but some people have said with the touch up clear coat, that it might peel. Which wouldn't be a problem if it is installed correctly the first time. I have seen horror stories about a bad install.

I know about the 10 year warranty, and would get a clear bra IF I wasn't skeptical about the warranty. But which company actually ever honors that? Seriously, I've dealt with numerous companies like Dell, Apple, Mazda, even BMW on occasion, and it's like pulling teeth to get them to honor even the most obvious of issues covered under warranty.

What's a small, local guy going to say when I come into his shop 5, 6 or 9 years from now and tell him I want another clear bra installed (assuming they are still in business)?

He'll probably say I washed it wrong, I left it out, I used the wrong wax, I drove it too much, the warranty doesn't cover XYZ, I have to pay for labor, the warranty is for materials only.........
I'll let you know if/when it comes to that day. But if it's any consolation, between all at the detailers and car care forums I visited, I never once read a bout experience of the clearbra not holding up. If I do need warranty work, I know I contact corporate directly and they will send me to a local installer if for any reason my original installer is no longer around. But you are correct in that if the paint touch up work was shaddy (paint or prep), or you didn't give it enough time to cure, the clearbra could lift the paint after removal. But here's a perfect example of the clearbra doing its job:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621668

"In the next picture, I have removed the lower rocker panel. This was in good shape. I attribute this to the “ClearBra”. After pulling off the ClearBra, the rocker had no marks or damage. The ClearBra saved this panel. You can tell that I have already removed most of the tire marks from the damaged side of the car when the picture was taken."

Knowing what I know know, next time I pick up a new car, it's going straight to detailer for opticoat, followed by full front bumper, hood and mirrors wrapped in 3M/Xpel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
What type of clear bra did you have done, DSC_OFF? I know there are several types and they're not all created equal. My car's is starting to look pretty tired after 6 years so I'm gonna have it pulled in a couple months and have it redone after some paint correction.
Xpel Ultimate... I too got tired of the chips from NJ turnpike & track usage. Finally waited till have a proper respray with oem quality paint (Glasurit) with the clear to match -- you'd be surprised how many places go thin/soft on the clear. Waited few weeks to make sure the paint was fully cured since it was so cold and then dropped her off for the clearbra.
      02-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

The touch up job definitely wasn't shady. It's a higher end local shop that I have had work done at before. It's been curing for about 4 months now since November.

So you're saying the warranty is through the manufacturer, and not the installer?

Crap, not I'm thinking a clear bra is an option back on the table.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The touch up job definitely wasn't shady. It's a higher end local shop that I have had work done at before. It's been curing for about 4 months now since November.

So you're saying the warranty is through the manufacturer, and not the installer?

Crap, not I'm thinking a clear bra is an option back on the table.
Correct, as long as work was originally performed by an authorized installer. But say I bought the film off eBay and installed myself, then clearly the warranty has its limitations.

Do your research and find who 'the guy' is in your area. My installer has a strong reputation around here so I was confident the work would be solid:

http://m.facebook.com/leeberbs?id=24...Fleeberbs&_rdr

The thing about touchup jobs is that no matter how good the shop, the touchup job inherently has its limitations since its not original paint and may never fully bond with the original. So if a clearbra ever does remove your paint or clear, it may not reflect poor installation (paint or clearbra) on anyone's part. But if the paint was oven baked and proper prep was put into the job, I see no reason why you should have issues. Just get her detailed before you go in and you should be fine.