ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

DIY CAI.... spitballing

Hi all,

I've been contemplating a DIY CAI and want to spitball some idea with the forum.

First off, as an owner of CAIs for my others cars, I'm not going to say I'm a disbeliever. But the term Cold Air is a little suspicious to me. I mean, the heat shield will block some radiant heat, but at a dead stop, the intake still sucks in heated air. So the metal barrier that comes with all these aftermarket CAIs may work at slower speeds, but at track speeds, I'd hope there is lots of fresh and cool air rushing around the engine compartment.

I'm trying to put my $$ towards track days, so buying one of the prefabbed CAIs for hundreds of dollars seems like money better spent on tires or pads. But being able to hear the engine from the front as well as the muffler will really help when I'm trying to heel/toe in traffic.

So I thought a great solution would be to buy a K&N cone filter and mount it to the tube leading into the 'Intake Muffler' as BMW lists it. The problem is, the tube is part of the Intake Muffler box, and houses the Mass Air Flow Meter. And cutting the box portion off the Intake Muffler makes little sense, as the replacement cost for an Intake Muffler is about the same price as an aftermarket CAI!

What I'm wondering is if the tube that houses the Mass Airflow sensor is a common size for BMW and it I would be able to substitute anything for this? In my mind's eye, I see two tubes. One large for the cone filter to attach to, and one small, mounted perpendicularly to the larger housing the MAF. Sounds simple? But where to start? Try and make one from PVC or ABS pipes from the Depot? Go to a piping supply house and see if they'll sell me an offcut?

Anyone think harder on this than I have and come up with the reasons why to vs why not to?
      05-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I might have a solution. K&N doesn't make a kit for this car, but they make a kit for the '01-'05 M3. K&N 69-2001TWK is the model I'm thinking of.

Do you think this would work, minus the heat shield?
      05-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I think its a great platform to work from, as long as you are able to place the sensor in it. You can build whatever box that you want and I know you can make one that increases horse power. Make sure you have high pressure and insulate it from the engine tips.

Let us know how it goes.

BTW. You posting in the FS threads.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ae86; z4mc

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
just gonna leave this here for you:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413915
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with.

I feel you on the whole "CAI" thing. To this day, oddly enough, I still think the best CAI I ever bought was the IceMan intake for my Acura Integra back in the day. It was overpriced to all hell, but boy did that thing work great. It piped the filter all the way to the lower front bumper for true cold air, and you could even set it up like a normal intake for the rainy seasons if you don't want to risk sucking up water. Maybe my butt dyno was still in development due to young age but I swear it made the car perform better in the high end and sounded awesome as well!

Oh the days of simple "tuning"...hahah...
Appreciate 0