ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
I didn't think about it that way.
I haven't tried the diablos so far, when i install them in a couple months time, i will let you know my experience.

But i think i'm the kind of guys that would attribute drone to loudness instead of calling it drone.
Exactly. Drones too much? Drop a gear and punch it. Problem solved

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Finnegan:
I had Diablos and I live in an area where there are a lot of elevation changes, and I probably had more droning because of having to go uphill more often. Possibly people living in flatter areas do not have to experience as much drone as their engines are not experiencing as much load going uphill on the highway? Maybe it was just that much more evident to me that there was no droning when I would be going downhill and...and then all of a sudden as I started climbing again, the drone would be back and I would notice it. It got to me. Perhaps if I had more "flat" highways, the sound would be constant and would blend into the background, instead of being ON/OFF.
Dead-on explanation of my experience. I can live with it on flat freeway. But when I climb rolling hills (often here in San Jose), I'm like "Noooooo! It has been so pleasantly manageable the last 2 minutes!"
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Finnegan:
I had Diablos and I live in an area where there are a lot of elevation changes, and I probably had more droning because of having to go uphill more often. Possibly people living in flatter areas do not have to experience as much drone as their engines are not experiencing as much load going uphill on the highway? Maybe it was just that much more evident to me that there was no droning when I would be going downhill and...and then all of a sudden as I started climbing again, the drone would be back and I would notice it. It got to me. Perhaps if I had more "flat" highways, the sound would be constant and would blend into the background, instead of being ON/OFF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I think you've put your finger on it! I do live in an area that's pretty flat. If I get on the throttle on the freeway at a decent level I get drone (as noted in the OP). If I were going up and down hills it would be another story indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
Dead-on explanation of my experience. I can live with it on flat freeway. But when I climb rolling hills (often here in San Jose), I'm like "Noooooo! It has been so pleasantly manageable the last 2 minutes!"
"Mystery" explained by esqu1re. Played around with the foothills here a bit, and yep, a lot of hills would be "a different experience" indeed as they're not quiet under those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Haha. You ran the experiment.

Myth: there are different models of Diablos. Myth busted.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

My turbo M3 has a wonderful sounding exhaust consisting of 2 x resonators and thats it...wonderful around town at 20 min at a time. I've driven the car to and from KY to FL and I wanted to wear ear plugs. Over 90, the car was just too damn loud. When I get home from this deployment, I already have plans to quiet the car down. I get compliments all the time on the exhaust. Around town, great. On highway, misery.

I'm looking for an exhaust for the Z4M now. I was thinking of going the scorpion route. I have one on my 91 325i and it is PERFECT. Civil around town, no drone on the highway, but when I get on it, sounds great. If it can make a 2.5L M20 sound awesome, I imagine it will make the S54 sound like a dream!

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

I installed the exhaust yesterday and wtf is this drone
I dont mind at all, im just afraid of the girlfriend's reaction so im hauling people using my other car it definitely needs dynamat and dkf hangers.

Got that out of the way, now for some heaven, wtf is this sound?? It sounded like the car was a mix of lambo aventador and pure bliss, this thing is a crazy exhaust, i love it so much my car did 10mpg because i couldnt get enough of the 8k rpm journey.

Theres something so exotic about the sound that made me redline it on every gear and my god the gargles and pops, bmw should have created a drone free sample of this exhaust. 4 people stop me so far asking questions and 2 people wanted to road race.

After all this i installed the aFe intake and i have no energy to explain to you the mixture of exhaust engine rasp and inductions sounds all coming out at the same time. Sounds like a proper race car, damn proper. It made fall in love with my car even more.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #30
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Yeah, sounds damn good doesn't it!

I think with hangers and some dynomat the other "issue" can be addressed which will just increase the bliss factor. Good luck getting good MPG.

This + intake = .
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #31
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yeah, sounds damn good doesn't it!

I think with hangers and some dynomat the other "issue" can be addressed which will just increase the bliss factor. Good luck getting good MPG.

This + intake = .
Damn right it's bliss, i'm sure that with a little bit of time, DKF hangers or something I might conjure up instead + some heavy trunk sound proofing will make this thing the best mod i've ever made.

i think that with a 4.10 differential and an ESS tune, the drone will be reduced.

what makes me think like that is that, i noticed that the car will drone once vanos is adjusting timing to give you more power and that usually happens in 1800-2K RPM and the wrong gear.
you can test my theory if you want, if you're on 3K RPM in second gear, drop 3rd and mash the throttle, massive massive drone, if you down shift back to 2nd and mash it there will be much much less drone and bliss sound.

What makes me think that the diff and the throttle will make it better, is that:
1- 4.10 diff will generate more torque on the rear wheels which means you will not be needing to use the gaz pedal as much when cruising around in the wrong gear for mpg along the fact that you will always be same speed higher RPM which is moving away from the drone zone
2- ESS tune will adjust timing to have your vanos ready for power at an earlier stage and the car will not need to go through this phase to accelerate as much (drone phase)

I don't know if i sounded right.

Last edited by tikamak; 05-21-2012 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0