ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
CzaK
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 Roadster

Disappointed new Z owner

For months I have been searching for a used Z to replace my wife's Miata. Recently found and purchased a 2005 Roadster. It is a one owner car with just 37k miles. Did not pick up on this during the test drive but on the way home I noticed the car pulling left and right depending on the contour of the road. It's a bit of a hassle fighting this problem. Doing a Google search this seems to be common. Could not find any info on a recall. Any ideas or advice on what to do?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzaK View Post
For months I have been searching for a used Z to replace my wife's Miata. Recently found and purchased a 2005 Roadster. It is a one owner car with just 37k miles. Did not pick up on this during the test drive but on the way home I noticed the car pulling left and right depending on the contour of the road. It's a bit of a hassle fighting this problem. Doing a Google search this seems to be common. Could not find any info on a recall. Any ideas or advice on what to do?
What do your tires look like? If they are worn and not dynamically balanced the car will pull like you are describing. I would check your tires for wear, balance and tire pressure, then an alignment. At your mileage it should not require more than this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Your car likely has run flat tires.
Ditch them for standard tires and enjoy your Z4
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
DEG67.50
      11-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
CzaK
Rep

I checked tire pressure as soon as I got the car home. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport with just a few thousand miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
I checked tire pressure as soon as I got the car home. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport with just a few thousand miles on them.
CzaK,

Z4's (and most other BMWs) are notorious for "tramlining" with worn runflat tires. Since yours are pretty new, I would suspect a problem with the wheel alignment, such as toe-out. That's what I would check next.

It's not a normal characteristic of Z4's. Hope you get it sorted out soon!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
CzaK
Rep

Alignment was also done when new tires were put on.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
thrak410
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

Are you maybe feeling the sticky steering issue?
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      11-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I second just runflats in general - new or not, properly aligned or not. I hated driving my 3.0si on the interstate until I replaced the wheels and (fairly new) tires. Night and day.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Alignment was also done when new tires were put on.
What are the specs?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #10
CzaK
Rep

Not sure. Was done at BMW dealership along with the tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

This definitely sounds like something may not be right with the car. If the car is doing this on roads that are in decent shape, its an issue with the car.

BUT.

If the roads in your area commonly have ruts, it may simply be a result of the roads in your area.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Not sure. Was done at BMW dealership along with the tires.
Just because the BMW dealer dis it doesn't automatically guarantee its right.

But I will say this. Tramlining as you described are usually the result of having wide, low profile tires. For example, I just swapped for tires that are only 10mm wider than stock on my Fiat 500e and the amount of additional tramlining compared to the original 185mm wide tires is very evident.

Then I drive my MZ4 Coupe with the 3.5 degree camber, 275mm wide, low profile tires, and at anything approaching land in jail speeds you'd think the steering has a mind of its own.

Years ago before BMW started putting runflats on, I swapped out the stock 225 tires on the OE 17" rims to 245 tires on 18" all around on my 323ci, and the same thing, was shocked to find that the car follows every little bump, contour, nook, and cranny of the road.

IF you're simply comparing the Z4 to the Mazda, it's likely the Mazda has higher profile tires that were narrower, riding on a double wishbone/multilink type suspension up front, while the Z4 rides on MacStrut design, with wider and lower profile tires, ALL factors that contribute to increase the effect of tramlining.

There are things you can do to minimize. Reduce front tire camber, increase front toe-in. But it will likely NEVER get ride of all the tramlining behavior due to the inherent stiffer sidewalks of a wider, lower profile tire.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
LOL - I had the EXACT same experience! I test drove mine twice before I bought it, but on the way home I thought I had a super low tire or something so I stopped and checked it. When I didn't, I figured I was going to have to return it. I got home and did some reading and saw that run flats (which I had a brand new set of) were famous for this. Changed them out and 95% of it was gone. Changed out my FCAB and the rest went away - drives like a dream now.

Next disappointment was how poochy it felt. Coming from a 400 hp car I expected to miss some of the pick up, but I felt my explorer had more heart than this thing. Then I read you had to drive it like you stole it and increased my revs and she came to life. Gotta be above 4K to get her breathing fire.

The longer I have it, the more I love it. Put in new shocks springs and sway bushings and it is tight as a drum now.
      11-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

2005 with low miles, I would also replace the FCABs. Also verify that you have runflats. If you do, swap them out for normal tires and you will love the car.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #15
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Just because the BMW dealer dis it doesn't automatically guarantee its right.

But I will say this. Tramlining as you described are usually the result of having wide, low profile tires. For example, I just swapped for tires that are only 10mm wider than stock on my Fiat 500e and the amount of additional tramlining compared to the original 185mm wide tires is very evident.

Then I drive my MZ4 Coupe with the 3.5 degree camber, 275mm wide, low profile tires, and at anything approaching land in jail speeds you'd think the steering has a mind of its own.

Years ago before BMW started putting runflats on, I swapped out the stock 225 tires on the OE 17" rims to 245 tires on 18" all around on my 323ci, and the same thing, was shocked to find that the car follows every little bump, contour, nook, and cranny of the road.

IF you're simply comparing the Z4 to the Mazda, it's likely the Mazda has higher profile tires that were narrower, riding on a double wishbone/multilink type suspension up front, while the Z4 rides on MacStrut design, with wider and lower profile tires, ALL factors that contribute to increase the effect of tramlining.

There are things you can do to minimize. Reduce front tire camber, increase front toe-in. But it will likely NEVER get ride of all the tramlining behavior due to the inherent stiffer sidewalks of a wider, lower profile tire.
+1 to all of this.

With worn 255/35 RE71s on the front and zero toe my car requires two hands on the wheel at all times because it wants to follow every slight imperfection in the road, even if that's toward the ditch. I tolerate it because it's an ideal set up for autocross. If you car is within alignment specs, but at the edge of the toe out tolerance it will still accentuate this effect. Take your car to somewhere they'll actually set the alignment to the max allowable toe in, not just check that it's in the tolerance window. Running a couple PSI higher pressure in the front tires will help a bit too.
Also, the electric assist power steering in the Z4 accentuates tramlining effect to the driver. Because the assist is applied to the steering column based on input from the steering angle sensor, any input to the steering column whether its from the driver or fed back from the steering rack gets power assist so what would be a slight pull on the steering wheel in a car with hydraulic power steering is a more significant pull in the Z4. Driving in sport mode sets a larger window of steering angle before you get assist from the Z4 power steering and should help calm it down quite a bit, even at current alignment settings.
      11-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

What everybody above said.

When you get this sorted you are going to absolutely LOVE your car. The sound of the inline six alone is intoxicating.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #17
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

my z4m coupe tracks like a freight train at 80mph- something is definitely wrongwith yours- and im running 225 and 255 michelin pilot ss (stock size)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #18
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
my z4m coupe tracks like a freight train at 80mph- something is definitely wrongwith yours- and im running 225 and 255 michelin pilot ss (stock size)
The M cars have traditional hydraulic power steering which is less senstive to feedback from the wheels than the electric power steering on the non-M E85/E86.

Also running the 225s on the front will make it less sensitive to tramlining overall.
      11-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #19
CzaK
Rep

Thanks all. Great information. With the driving season coming to an end I don't plan on doing much with the car until spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'm going to chime in here that what you are experiencing is normal for a Z4 (E85 chassis) and that you are just not used to it. My Coupe jumps around a lot, but it's a sports car, not a sedan. It has a short wheelbase and wide stance and the suspension is set up for cornering. My Coupe is in alignment and I run Mich Pilot Sports AS3s non-runflat. All pre-F30 3-series BMWs tramline a bit, I've had four BMWs and been driving them for the better part of 28 years. Both my wife's Z3 and my Z4 tramline. The Z3 is set up with a Bilstein/H&R suspension and still does it. My old E30 did it, and so does my E90.

Now get your Z4 on some good back-country roads and drive fast, and the tramlining disappears.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #21
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
LOL - I had the EXACT same experience! I test drove mine twice before I bought it, but on the way home I thought I had a super low tire or something so I stopped and checked it. When I didn't, I figured I was going to have to return it. I got home and did some reading and saw that run flats (which I had a brand new set of) were famous for this. Changed them out and 95% of it was gone. Changed out my FCAB and the rest went away - drives like a dream now.

Next disappointment was how poochy it felt. Coming from a 400 hp car I expected to miss some of the pick up, but I felt my explorer had more heart than this thing. Then I read you had to drive it like you stole it and increased my revs and she came to life. Gotta be above 4K to get her breathing fire.

The longer I have it, the more I love it. Put in new shocks springs and sway bushings and it is tight as a drum now.
What's an FCAB?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #22
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Front control arm bushing
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1