ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Subaru STI five door

WTB: '07/'08 Z4M Coupe, details inside

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I am unsure why I have taken so long to join this forum, hehe.

I've been looking since about the middle of last year for a suitable car. I have given up a few times and considered IS-Fs, STIs, etc. I just can't shake the beauty of the Z4M.

Specifically, I'm after an unmolested (or close to it) SBM (Bronze), TSM (Silver), AW (White) or SGM (Gray) (in that order) Z4M Coupe with ~<35k. A few very basic modifications would be about the extent of what I'd like if not bone stock. Pristine condition is a must! Anything I have found so far has been abused, high miles, the wrong color or any number of things that killed my interest.

Obviously I am looking for something with no accidents, documented services, etc. I will have a PPI done regardless.

I live in Southern NJ and at this point understand that I
1. am most likely going to have to travel quite a bit to find something worthy
2. will have to remain EXTREMELY patient. I know they are rare, especially SBM.

Thanks.

Last edited by builthatch; 02-28-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
I am unsure why I have taken so long to join this forum, hehe.

I've been looking since about the middle of last year for a suitable car. I have given up a few times and considered IS-Fs, STIs, etc. I just can't shake the beauty of the Z4M.

Specifically, I'm after an unmolested (or close to it) SBM, TSM, AW or SGM (in that order) Z4M Coupe with ~<35k. A few very basic modifications would be about the extent of what I'd like if not bone stock. Pristine condition is a must! Anything I have found so far has been abused, high miles, the wrong color or any number of things that killed my interest.

Obviously I am looking for something with no accidents, documented services, etc. I will have a PPI done regardless.

I live in Southern NJ and at this point understand that I
1. am most likely going to have to travel quite a bit to find something worthy

Thanks.

Good luck with your hunt. It has taken me about a year to find my perfect Z4M Coupe and it was worth the time and effort.

You'll need to check for a few things, ie, the 1200 mile break-in service, paint work, abuse, and misuse etc. Willingness to travel and patience are also important. An independent inspection is also a must, as the cars all seem to be affected by the same issues, like motor mount bolts, strut brace bolts , etc, etc.

I have traveled far and wide and looked at a lot of ragged out and wrecked Ms before I found mine. You have come to the perfect place to search, and the people on this forum are knowledgable and friendly. You never know, you may luck out and find one here in your color combo and price range without too much trouble.

Warmest Regards from Atlanta!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I've been toying with selling mine this spring. Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MLover2012 View Post
Good luck with your hunt. It has taken me about a year to find my perfect Z4M Coupe and it was worth the time and effort.

You'll need to check for a few things, ie, the 1200 mile break-in service, paint work, abuse, and misuse etc. Willingness to travel and patience are also important. An independent inspection is also a must, as the cars all seem to be affected by the same issues, like motor mount bolts, strut brace bolts , etc, etc.

I have traveled far and wide and looked at a lot of ragged out and wrecked Ms before I found mine. You have come to the perfect place to search, and the people on this forum are knowledgable and friendly. You never know, you may luck out and find one here in your color combo and price range without too much trouble.

Warmest Regards from Atlanta!
Thanks. It's really hard to be patient. I might end up getting something else in the meantime as the season is just about to turn, but who knows - I am such a high performance car addict and having this truck as my main means of transportation is so dang boring. Driving around in the spring in something so unfun will be trying, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I've been toying with selling mine this spring. Hmmm.
not to me, not that color! ; )

good luck though, regardless!

Last edited by builthatch; 02-27-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Surely SBM doesn't mean Sapphire Black Metallic in this context. It's the most common color, almost 40% of the coupes sold in the US, iirc. There have been five coupe owners from Chicago on this forum, and all of us have the same color - black. EA has 7 cars for sale and 3 of those are black.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Not one of your listed color choices but my 07 Imola Red is listed right now. 21K miles, beautiful condition inside and out, just a few hours away from you in Southern MA.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Surely SBM doesn't mean Sapphire Black Metallic in this context. It's the most common color, almost 40% of the coupes sold in the US, iirc. There have been five coupe owners from Chicago on this forum, and all of us have the same color - black. EA has 7 cars for sale and 3 of those are black.

I think he means Sepang Bronze Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Quote:
I think he means Sepang Bronze Metallic.
yep, indeed! i meant sepang bronze metallic. sorry about that, hehe. black is so far off my radar i didn't even think about differentiating. i will edit it to reflect that. sorry all : )

and you are so right re: the frequency of cars available being black - that is pretty much all i have seen. a lot of black and a lot of blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850tgul View Post
Not one of your listed color choices but my 07 Imola Red is listed right now. 21K miles, beautiful condition inside and out, just a few hours away from you in Southern MA.
thanks! your thread is one of the first i saw on here before i joined, hehe. your car is beautiful but i don't think red would work for me. it is gorgeous, though. good luck with your sale.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a nice example for you. I would have bought it had I not had mine picked out and shipped already.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...17014441&Log=0
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
Wow... that ZM4 Coupe in Sepang makes me second guess the E92 M3 I just bought... seriously...wow. And only 64 of those in N America? I'm guessing $38K is on the high side for Z4MC's but with that low of miles, I am sure that car will go quick.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
Wow... that ZM4 Coupe in Sepang makes me second guess the E92 M3 I just bought... seriously...wow. And only 64 of those in N America? I'm guessing $38K is on the high side for Z4MC's but with that low of miles, I am sure that car will go quick.
That is a nice example of a Z4M, like new. It will be hard pressed to find a lower milage Z4M in the country.
      02-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Here's a nice example for you. I would have bought it had I not had mine picked out and shipped already.
holy cow.

and that is only about an hour from me. this is too good to be true.

emailed the owner and will call tomorrow morning.

thanks a ton!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
and you are so right re: the frequency of cars available being black - that is pretty much all i have seen. a lot of black and a lot of blue.
I didn't see a single blue one for sale on a quick scan of the major sites (unless you meant black and silver). Interlagos was kind of a pain for me to track down - in the 2 months prior to my purchase, I'd say about 5-7 came up for sale (that I saw) and only one of them lasted more than a week. The velocity of those when they hit the market is incredible.. and that's not even the much rarer Monaco blue! Finding the right M coupe is definitely a game of patience
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good Luck and please keep us all posted.

I had to go very very far away to find mine(Hint: it's on a covered transport going through Canada as we speak!).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

well, i called on that SBM example above. that car is an '07, not an '08, hehe. they messed up, maybe because of the VIN? in service was 10/07, so he got it really late.

got the VIN and stuff so i'm checking it out. the guy was great to talk to and interestingly enough comes to the town next to me pretty often.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
well, i called on that SBM example above. that car is an '07, not an '08, hehe. they messed up, maybe because of the VIN? in service was 10/07, so he got it really late.

got the VIN and stuff so i'm checking it out. the guy was great to talk to and interestingly enough comes to the town next to me pretty often.
Price maybe a little high for an 07' but I'm sure he would work with you on price. When I saw it posted yesterday I thought to myself, "Great, there's one in the upper 48 States with fewer miles." Another lesson I learned long ago, is once you find what you want and buy it, stop looking. It will only make you sick when you find something cheaper or with lower miles on the clock.

Let us know how this one checks out. It looks like a good one!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
I didn't see a single blue one for sale on a quick scan of the major sites (unless you meant black and silver). Interlagos was kind of a pain for me to track down - in the 2 months prior to my purchase, I'd say about 5-7 came up for sale (that I saw) and only one of them lasted more than a week. The velocity of those when they hit the market is incredible.. and that's not even the much rarer Monaco blue! Finding the right M coupe is definitely a game of patience
Amen, brother!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Price maybe a little high for an 07' but I'm sure he would work with you on price. When I saw it posted yesterday I thought to myself, "Great, there's one in the upper 48 States with fewer miles." Another lesson I learned long ago, is once you find what you want and buy it, stop looking. It will only make you sick when you find something cheaper or with lower miles on the clock.

Let us know how this one checks out. It looks like a good one!
i know there are tons of variables, but what price would everyone be comfortable paying for that? i agree now that i know it is an '07, but i am sure it still will command a premium based on the mileage. i would feel more comfortable at 36ish.

the owner said it has a scrap on the front valance and a small curb rash on one of the wheels. bums me out a bit but i can't expect everyone to be as careful as i am ; )
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i know there are tons of variables, but what price would everyone be comfortable paying for that? i agree now that i know it is an '07, but i am sure it still will command a premium based on the mileage. i would feel more comfortable at 36ish.

the owner said it has a scrap on the front valance and a small curb rash on one of the wheels. bums me out a bit but i can't expect everyone to be as careful as i am ; )
I gave mid-30's for a 6K mileage 08 Z4M Coupe with a 6 month balance of the BMW factory warranty. The only issue was a minor scrape on the lower lip which didn't bother me in the least. I did worse than than that on my 2007 3.0Si. I'll just have to be more careful on this one!

I still think this is a nice example and if he has done the 1200 mile service and the PPI checks out, play lets make a deal with the owner.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I gave mid-30's for a 6K mileage 08 Z4M Coupe with a 6 month balance of the BMW factory warranty. The only issue was a minor scrape on the lower lip which didn't bother me in the least. I did worse than than that on my 2007 3.0Si. I'll just have to be more careful on this one!

I still think this is a nice example and if he has done the 1200 mile service and the PPI checks out, play lets make a deal with the owner.

Good Luck!
interesting! this one has a scrape on the front lip as well, hehe. thankfully there is a hardline there from what i can tell so it would be able to be repaired without doing the entire valance if it really bothered me.

he indeed has done all of the services, completely. i checked with his local dealership (Thompson BMW) and their records indicate he has done everything to perfection.

BTW, i just want to say that i spoke with Jim Martinez at Steve Thomas BMW in CA, as per a reco on here, and wow, what gentleman. He was very informative about my options. he mentioned that it is true - BMW only has a maintenance plan and powertrain plan available for this car since it is out of OE warranty. he said with the low mileage and the low amount of mileage i put on vehicles that i should not even worry about it. interesting to hear someone be so honest!

well, we'll see.

thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by builthatch; 03-01-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Another lesson I learned long ago, is once you find what you want and buy it, stop looking. It will only make you sick when you find something cheaper or with lower miles on the clock.
Amen. I've preached the same things for years.

And I've found the same approach generally applies to anything you buy.

And to women too, unless you have no intentions of putting a ring on it. Then you want to keep looking until you find a lower mileage model.

Rus
      03-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
builthatch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...17014441&Log=0
re: this car

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=19
Appreciate 0