ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
bikeplate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5I

Power top issue/advice

HI

Hello all. I have a super nice 2003 Z4 with the power top. This weekend, I put it down to drive. When I arrived, I started to put it up. It stalled. I tried to put it back down and it eventually went all the way open again. After that, it wont go back up at all. I can hear the motor going and the switch and light on the dash seem to be working the same but no action with the top. Definately needs repair

My question is where shall I take it? I live in Upstate NY in Saratoga near Albany. There is a BMW dealer there but Id like to avoid the huge repair bill I might incur.

Anyone in my area know of a place that could handle a repair like this? Feel free to post or private message me. Thanks!!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

a common fault is a cable in the trunk that works the operation is loose or faulty. Look in your trunk for a cable with a plastic ring at the end. Pull on it and see if it has more than 1" of play. It shouldn't. I THINK
      05-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

oh and yeah, dealer only for these tops
      07-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
New owner
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW z4 3.0i

HI

I do have exactly similar problem found this morning with 2005 Z4.When I parked my car, I started to put it up. It stalled. I tried to put it back down and it eventually went all the way open again. After that, it wont go back up at all. I can hear the motor going and the switch and light on the dash seem to be working the same but no action with the top. Definately needs repair. If I press the open switch windows do go up and down but no action on top.

I tried to pull a cable with a plastic ring at the end in the trunk, but it was pretty tight.

How do I get top back to working ?

I live in Katy,TX. Any suggestions are welcome.

Anyone in my area know of a place that could handle a repair like this? Really appreciate your help. I purchased this used car year ago from a local dealer, have not had any problems so far.

Thanks,
Ripan
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0i

Put the plastic piece at the end of the cable back in its opening. I had this same exact problem and that fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
bikeplate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5I

Hi

Just had mine fixed. Looks as if a previous repair was done poorly. Want sealed good and water got in and ruined the motor. $1350 later and all is well. Lol

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
New owner
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your response"PrinceMiro" . so do I have to put plastic piece at the end of the cable having plastic ring ?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
New owner
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeplate View Post
Hi

Just had mine fixed. Looks as if a previous repair was done poorly. Want sealed good and water got in and ruined the motor. $1350 later and all is well. Lol

Rob
Did they charge $1350 for replacing motor ? Sounds expensive ? I don't know if motor is damaged or not, I still hear sound when I press the button ?

It rained a lot over last week but after that I had top open and close few times.

Thanks,
Ripan
Appreciate 0