ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Removed the CDV yesterday. I definitely notice a difference, IT DRIVES NORMALLY NOW.

Seriously though, it's like the difference between when you tell someone else how to make your coffee for you and when you make it for yourself. Without the CDV it's the way it should be and always has been in other cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #24
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Removed the CDV yesterday. I definitely notice a difference, IT DRIVES NORMALLY NOW.

Seriously though, it's like the difference between when you tell someone else how to make your coffee for you and when you make it for yourself. Without the CDV it's the way it should be and always has been in other cars.
Welcome to the enlightened group that no longer feel like embarrassed 'clutch idiots'...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
I don't get the argument that they put it in there to "protect" the drive train and suspension unless BMW is pretentious enough to think their customers buying manual trans cars can't drive them..
It's all about the $$$. When your car is under warranty, and repairs are on their dime, then having a CDV makes sure the thing that fails due to crappy driver (the clutch) is something that is an exempt "wear item" like brake pads, and thus costs them nothing. Without a CDV, the thing that a crappy driver damages first is expensive driveline components that would be covered under warranty.

BMW is still independent, not owned by anyone else, and they remain very profitable. No bailouts needed for them. You dont get that way, and stay that way, by making dumb financial choices.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #26
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Except that the clutch (disk) is covered in the maintenance plan which runs the same duration and mileage as the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

Its wasnt as drastic of a change as some have described for me but its definitely worth doing
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I was always the hold out that argued for keeping the CDV in the interest of safety.

Just got deleting it today, I HOPE YOU GUYS ARE HAPPY
      05-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #29
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta
I was always the hold out that argued for keeping the CDV in the interest of safety.

Bloody finally
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #30
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post

Well? Impressions?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Well? Impressions?
It feels great, I love the change. With the SSK + pulling left on 1->2 shifting is such a pleasure now.

I always knew it would feel better without the cdv; my concern was wear and tear on the car since BMW claims they added it to reduce drivetrain shock.

After thinking about it, so many people have removed it from both this car and the e46m, and after this many years (6+ for this car, 12+ for the m3) I still haven't come across a thread with drivetrain damage. I wonder if BMW added it as an anti-hooning measure, rather than a real longevity concern.
      05-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
It feels great, I love the change. With the SSK + pulling left on 1->2 shifting is such a pleasure now.

I always knew it would feel better without the cdv; my concern was wear and tear on the car since BMW claims they added it to reduce drivetrain shock.

After thinking about it, so many people have removed it from both this car and the e46m, and after this many years (6+ for this car, 12+ for the m3) I still haven't come across a thread with drivetrain damage. I wonder if BMW added it as an anti-hooning measure, rather than a real longevity concern.
Hahah...bout time man. Hopefully you driving my car helped push you in the right direction...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Hahah...bout time man. Hopefully you driving my car helped push you in the right direction...
Now that I think about it, that's exactly what did it. After driving your car it was hard to go back.

It's probably like the electric steering of the non-M. When I had my first Z4 I didn't mind the electric steering at all. But after owning the M for a while, I realized how much, in retrospect, I hated the electric steering. When you don't know better the little annoyances are easily dismissed. Once you know better, they're insurmountable first world problems

Your clutch is still much shorter/harder than mine, I wonder if it's a coupe/roadster difference (since you guys also got the shorter steering lock + stiffer suspension), or just a car/car difference.

Your car also sold me on an exhaust. I don't think I can go quite as loud as you, but it sounds amazing!
      05-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Late to the party but $.02

There is no mastering of the clutch with a CDV installed.
The removal is a no brainer mod.
Especially to lifelong experienced MT drivers

Of course, as always, IMHO
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #35
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Did anyone have problems bleeding their clutch after the CDV delete? This weekend I installed a Rogue SS clutch line (and removed the CDV), plus I installed Stoptech SS brake lines.

I had just enough fluid to bleed everything. My brake pedal felt good with the car still on jackstands, but the clutch pedal drops straight to the floor. Now I'm waiting for more ATE super blue fluid to arrive while I wonder if I just need to bleed the clutch again, or if I've got bigger problems.

I hope I don't have to remove the slave cylinder and buy one of those slave cylinder bleeding tools. It looked like removing the slave would be a tight fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

I did the CDV delete a few years ago and it it changed things to where I thought it should be.
I then bought the UUC clutch stop kit recently and it was again a nice adjustment in user friendly tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #37
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromTucson View Post
Did anyone have problems bleeding their clutch after the CDV delete? This weekend I installed a Rogue SS clutch line (and removed the CDV), plus I installed Stoptech SS brake lines.

I had just enough fluid to bleed everything. My brake pedal felt good with the car still on jackstands, but the clutch pedal drops straight to the floor. Now I'm waiting for more ATE super blue fluid to arrive while I wonder if I just need to bleed the clutch again, or if I've got bigger problems.

I hope I don't have to remove the slave cylinder and buy one of those slave cylinder bleeding tools. It looked like removing the slave would be a tight fit.
It is pretty easy to remove the slave cylinder to bleed it vertically. instead of the special tool, all you need is a piece of steel strapping or Dexion or similar, together with two nuts and bolts of the right length to allow the piston to be compressed by placing the strapping across the top of the piston and the bolts through both the cylinder mounting holes and holes in the strapping.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
It is pretty easy to remove the slave cylinder to bleed it vertically. instead of the special tool, all you need is a piece of steel strapping or Dexion or similar, together with two nuts and bolts of the right length to allow the piston to be compressed by placing the strapping across the top of the piston and the bolts through both the cylinder mounting holes and holes in the strapping.
Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try if a secondary bleed doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #39
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

This is the most recent thread I found on the topic.

My Indy shop replaced the stock slave cylinder line with a SS line last week and in the process the CDV was removed. It's in a plastic bag on my workbench where it belongs IMESHO. Good riddance! I can shift smoothly again.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #40
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

If my CDV is gone, would the Z4 be a bad car to use for re-teaching my wife how to drive stick? Shoulda taught her before deleting it!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #41
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy
If my CDV is gone, would the Z4 be a bad car to use for re-teaching my wife how to drive stick? Shoulda taught her before deleting it!
I think My Z4 clutch is very easy to use. That said a CDV might be friendlier for your car with a newbie at the controls.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #42
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

I just acquired my Z4M this summer. My first impression was that the clutch release was kind of Numb. This is my first BMW so I figured it was as design for "comfort", Which seemed odd for an ///M. A greater concern was when I was putting my foot into the accelerator when going into 2nd gear, it always feels like the clutch is slipping. Well, Come to learn of the CDV, I guess it is slipping. I can't wait to get under the car and pull it out!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #43
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

The engagement of the clutch is much faster without the CDV. CDV and an activated sport button will shred that clutch of yours so fast if you're not used to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #44
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've been driving my 06 Z4M for two weeks now. The clutch makes me feel like I nearly never quite get it right, but then I do a smooth quick shift and I think it's me, I need to just keep getting used to this. Now I'm convinced it's gotta go.....Question, where do I get the "regular " valve ? Parts store could not find it on their computer today. Or is it " better " to just take it out, connect line straight in ?
Appreciate 0