ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

eBay intake?

I've been looking for an intake for my Z4M Roadster, and came across these via eBay:

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=124&pid=2079
http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=124&pid=1758

On a scale of one-to-terrible, how bad would these be? I've never heard of this company, but paying $500+ for a cone filter and pipe (AFE) seems a little much.

Any thoughts? The dancing girls are a bit of a fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
I've been looking for an intake for my Z4M Roadster, and came across these via eBay:

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=124&pid=2079
http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=124&pid=1758

On a scale of one-to-terrible, how bad would these be? I've never heard of this company, but paying $500+ for a cone filter and pipe (AFE) seems a little much.

Any thoughts? The dancing girls are a bit of a fail.
At that price range I would look at AFE. If I recall correctly they go on sale for about 300 pretty often. Do you want to get the intake for sound or performance?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I really only want it for he sound. Really doubt any intake would make a noticeable power difference. I'm finding the sound of the stock setup "inadequate" and the exhaust route wasn't what I was looking for.

If I could get the AFE for $300 I would jump all over it, but $550 seems steep. Frankly even $300 is a little rich but it is what it is.

Which site should I keep an eye on for the AFE sale?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I bought my afe dry intake for 480. Couldn't find it cheaper than that
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I've seen AFEs on eBay (new) for $545 and $495. That's why I'd jump all over a $300 price, but I'm skeptical. I've seen highly used ones selling for mid $300s.

I'm tempted by the E46 M3 K&N mod.

Dubsesd, why did you go with the dry vs the oiled? Previous cars I've owned there was a lot of discussion about the piled filters messing up the MAF
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
but paying $500+ for a cone filter and pipe (AFE) seems a little much.

Any thoughts?
You're not just paying for a cone filter and a pipe. You're also paying for a fine billet piece that houses your MAF, among other things.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I've seen AFEs on eBay (new) for $545 and $495. That's why I'd jump all over a $300 price, but I'm skeptical. I've seen highly used ones selling for mid $300s.

I'm tempted by the E46 M3 K&N mod.

Dubsesd, why did you go with the dry vs the oiled? Previous cars I've owned there was a lot of discussion about the piled filters messing up the MAF
Normal price is 400 but they do go on sale for mid 3s

http://www.vrspeedfactory.com/afe-06...154-11521.html

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Thanks for the link! How often do you have to clean it? I've read various threads where these high flow filters lose there efficiency very quickly (compared to and OE filter) and you would most likely need to clean them very often. Any input on that? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
Normal price is 400 but they do go on sale for mid 3s

http://www.vrspeedfactory.com/afe-06...154-11521.html
Also thanks for the link! That's by far the cheapest I've seen it. Will keep an eye for a while to see if it goes on sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
atenzany62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
You're not just paying for a cone filter and a pipe. You're also paying for a fine billet piece that houses your MAF, among other things.

their kit for the 03-05 3.0i have the same billet piece?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hey Guys, could someone please advise which is better, oiled or dry? I understand that you need to clean the oiled filter, but are there any dangers to the MAF? I'm keeping my eyes open for the AFE, and need to decide which route to take.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

It would be great if someone could respond to the "sound" question. I'm actually looking to get some volume and personality out of my M. By this I mean more off throttle burble, perhaps some pops and an exhaust note that is a little louder than stock.

I'm thinking the combination of the AFE intake and perhaps a Magnaflow or Stromung exhaust would be the most cost efficient way to get there.

Can anyone comment on this?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
It would be great if someone could respond to the "sound" question.
I'm in the same boat. Problem with most exhausts is drone, unless you're looking to spend $2K, which in my opinion is dumb just to get better sound. I'm looking for the car to be civil when need be, but sound aggressive when you step on it, and I think the intake is the better route. I'll likely pull the trigger some time within the next couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. Problem with most exhausts is drone, unless you're looking to spend $2K, which in my opinion is dumb just to get better sound. I'm looking for the car to be civil when need be, but sound aggressive when you step on it, and I think the intake is the better route. I'll likely pull the trigger some time within the next couple weeks.
Have you listened to any of the lower cost options (Magnaflow or Stromung)? I'm a little less concerned with drone because I had a pretty loud setup on my last Miata and also I never drive below mid 2K's on the M and that seems to be the drone target. But I also want that off throttle burble. That is just so cool to me. This weekend I was behind a '69 Camaro Z28 with a nice exhaust setup and when that guy came off it to shift I almost wet my pants!

Now I know that's the extreme, but come on..gimme some burble!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra
Hey Guys, could someone please advise which is better, oiled or dry? I understand that you need to clean the oiled filter, but are there any dangers to the MAF? I'm keeping my eyes open for the AFE, and need to decide which route to take.
Oiled is the better way to go IMO. The only way you foul your MAF is if you're careless and then u shouldn't own the intake to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Have you listened to any of the lower cost options (Magnaflow or Stromung)? I'm a little less concerned with drone because I had a pretty loud setup on my last Miata and also I never drive below mid 2K's on the M and that seems to be the drone target. But I also want that off throttle burble. That is just so cool to me. This weekend I was behind a '69 Camaro Z28 with a nice exhaust setup and when that guy came off it to shift I almost wet my pants!

Now I know that's the extreme, but come on..gimme some burble!!!
It's all a game of give and take...what's that saying? Cheap, fast, reliable...pick two! Same thing kinda for exhaust...cheap, loud, no drone...also pick two.

As far as intakes go, I've only had experience with OEM, AFE dry, and GruppeM, and the three sound very different than each other. I did a write up somewhere in this section of the forum comparing the three in terms of sound, performance, etc. For the OP, I'd stay away from the ebay one and look for AFE as your lowest cost alternative. I am still amazed to this day how different AFE and GruppeM sound even though in theory they are the same exact thing. I'd imagine that the ebay intake sounds different than all the ones mentioned above.

For exhausts, if you guys haven't already checked out our exhaust fest comparison video you should, it's a good start to gauge what sounds like what. My cheap system pops and gurgles like mad which is awesome, but also has drone for a couple of hundred RPM between 2.5-3K. Every once in a while when I get tired of the drone and consider muting down my system a bit with some CC inserts, all I have to do is let off the gas and listen to the pops and gurgles and it makes what drone is there totally worth it.

I'd say if you don't want to go full resonator system like mine (cheap version of RPI basically) then a magnaflow will probably yield some good results. Drone can be dampened a bit by using dynamat or some other deadening material in the trunk, and I'm sure the DKF hangars can help as well (I have some on hand but have been too busy to get them installed), but I highly doubt you will get cheap, loud, and no drone all in one package.
Appreciate 0