ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
Taking longer to crank and then start...Please help me diagnosis

Hello everyone, 3 days ago, my car started doing this odd thing. If the car has been sitting for a few hours and I go to start it...the engine cranks and is taking much longer to actually start than before.

Previously, the engine would turn over very quickly after turning the key.

However, now, it takes (what feels like) a long time. It's cranking, and cranking, and leaving me wondering (for a second) if it's going to actually start, and then it starts.

It's a 2007 3.0i. I've only used premium gas. I mention the gas because it's like the car isn't getting gas or something.

What do you guys think? Is it the starter? The battery? The fuel pump? I still have 1000k miles of original warranty left.

Please help, thanks
      05-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

So what your saying is the engine is turning over much slower than before?

Sounds like a battery that's about to leave you stranded. My original battery was replaced per the service history back when it had approx 22k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
Help

No, I wouldn't say the cranking speed is slower...just that it's cranking for a longer time than before. That's what's weird.
      05-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Hopeully you're still underwarranty (2007 with 22k miles). But I'd be curious about battery or plugs. I'd also check all the grounds in the car, esp if the dealer can't find anything. Please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Mine did the same thing before the battery died. Can't hurt to check the voltage your battery is putting out. Just use a meter on the positive and negative terminals under the hood after the car has sat for a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I think OP meant that the battery is fine, the engine is just not firing as soon as expected...
"It's cranking, and cranking, and leaving me wondering (for a second) if it's going to actually start"

Fuel pump perhaps?
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
idlook2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 89' 325is x2

I have the same issue with mine. Takes a long time to start but cranks just fine. It could be early signs of the battery going but my first thought was a leaky fuel injector. I just have a feeling the dealer will say everything is fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Mine does that when the battery is dying (low voltage)... im at the dealer now getting my computer reset.. went into transport mode again
      05-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep

The cranking speed won't slow down much as the battery dies...the crank speed of the starter is set. If the voltage is too low, it takes longer to fire up (thus the "cranking and cranking). I'd bet my brother's toes it's the battery. Mine was fine in the morning, dead in the afternoon. It's so easy to check the voltage...just put a meter on it real quick. If it reads below 12.25-12.5 volts after sitting for a couple hours, the battery is no longer holding the charge it should.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
the crank speed of the starter is set.
Interesting... didn't know that
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

If it was the N54 engine, no brainer, the HPFP. But even LPFP go bad, and I vote with z4mnyc: fuel pump.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep

The Fuel Pump would certainly be the second thing I'd check.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
Thanks everyone. I will see what they say. I travel a lot for work, so I really only get to drive the cars on weekends. I wish I could just run out to the garage right now and check the volts, but I'm a few hundred miles away from the car right now.

I hope it's just the battery...that's a pretty easy fix. I'm more worried that it would be the alternator or fuel pump because that would cost a lot of money I'm guessing...and with my luck...it would go out right after my warranty ended (which is very soon).

I have an appointment with my dealership for next week. They are very accommodating, but I get the impression that they tell people what they want to hear rather that actually fix things. I have this feeling they will do the whole, "Seems fine to me" stuff.

I will post an update after it gets figured out.

Last edited by ski_rush; 05-05-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
Turns out my car had a bad case of gas

The issue with the starting went away when I got a new tank of gas. I felt embarrassed talking to service guy about it because it wasn't doing it anymore. As soon as I got new gas, it went away. Battery charge checked out fine.

My wife and I disagree with what happened. She says the premium gas I bought went bad. I say that I never got premium gas even though I paid for it.

Has anyone bought gas... Paid for premium and really end up getting regular?
      05-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Not that I know of--could just be ****y gas too. Either way, don't fill up there again!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Bad Gas fillup

Getting unleaded out of the premium pump could happen.
Could be an accident by the tanker driver or intentional by the station owner.
Not sure if Texas tests the octane as often as they check the gas pump accuracy. I'm sure PA has similar tests.
Probably a BIG fine if they get caught selling regular at premium prices.

Was it an independent gas station, a big name oil company corporate owned station, or an independent station with a big name oil company on the sign?

Underground gas tanks have been know to flood/leak diluting (somewhat) the tank contents. There are a lot of safeguards preventing water getting from the underground tank to your engine cylinders but I suppose it could happen.

If possible, I too, would suggest you avoid that station...at least for a few weeks or more.

Your gas probably didn't "go bad" unless it is 6 months old and not ever "mixed up" by driving around.
      05-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Also read where our engines do not like too much corn. So it may be (if like Missouri all gas has corn in it by law) that the concentration of Ethenol to gas is higher than 10%. Then again I know nothing. I have also heard that fuel with Ethenol in it goes back much quicker than normal fuel. I like corn on my plate not in my tank.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Also read where our engines do not like too much corn. So it may be (if like Missouri all gas has corn in it by law) that the concentration of Ethenol to gas is higher than 10%. Then again I know nothing. I have also heard that fuel with Ethenol in it goes back much quicker than normal fuel. I like corn on my plate not in my tank.

Steve
I hate corn on just about everything. corn, corn syrup, corn flakes, ethanol in gasoline...entire country is pigged out on corn.

Hopefully, it wasn't corn that made your engine have a slow crank.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
I hate corn on just about everything. corn, corn syrup, corn flakes, ethanol in gasoline...entire country is pigged out on corn.

Hopefully, it wasn't corn that made your engine have a slow crank.
Pigged out indeed. Corn is exactly what one feeds to livestock to fatten them up. And it makes cars sluggish. Hate this stuff.
Appreciate 0