ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Worst way to start Spring

At least I wasn't hurt badly. The truck didn't see me and was changing into my lane and the bumper was a couple of feet from my head before I took off to avoid further damage!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Oh man I'm sorry this happened! I'm glad you're OK. Looks like a new rear bumper and side fender are in place, unless you want them repaired.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
So sorry this happened. It's a lousy feeling.
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 02:29 AM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Glad you're OK.
That'll buff out.
      03-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Glad you're OK.
That'll buff out.
The crease in the rear quarter won't...but it's a relatively easy bolt-off, bolt-on panel - just hope the clips/arch protector don't replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm-five View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Glad you're OK.
That'll buff out.
The crease in the rear quarter won't...but it's a relatively easy bolt-off, bolt-on panel - just hope the clips/arch protector don't replacement.
Thanks guys. The trucks insurance will have to pay out for fixing the car but I need to figure out the diminished value to ask for and prove.

I've been considering upgrading to a roadster but after every time I drive it I change my mind. Now that the car is Tainted I don't feel like I can keep it but we'll see. I just had a baby and doubt I can spend much to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waoudi View Post
Thanks guys. The trucks insurance will have to pay out for fixing the car but I need to figure out the diminished value to ask for and prove.

I've been considering upgrading to a roadster but after every time I drive it I change my mind. Now that the car is Tainted I don't feel like I can keep it but we'll see. I just had a baby and doubt I can spend much to upgrade.
Sorry to see this happened - I know that feeling very well, unfortunately. Glad that you're OK, though.

Regarding the car, I don't see the big deal in repairing that as the only concern is the quality of the paint and how well the body shop would match it to the rest of the car. As the other poster indicated, the body panel is bolt off/bolt on, which is the nice thing about these cars. Bring it to a trusted body shop and have them order all OE parts. This actually does not look too bad.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17197.50
      03-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:

Sorry to see this happened - I know that feeling very well, unfortunately. Glad that you're OK, though.

Regarding the car, I don't see the big deal in repairing that as the only concern is the quality of the paint and how well the body shop would match it to the rest of the car. As the other poster indicated, the body panel is bolt off/bolt on, which is the nice thing about these cars. Bring it to a trusted body shop and have them order all OE parts. This actually does not look too bad.
Any one know how difficult it would be to replace it with an M bumper and dual out the exhaust? I always liked the dual exhaust look and it's part of the reason I wanted to upgrade to a roadster.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Sorry for your incident! Glad you weren't hurt.

Conversion to dual exhaust outlets will be a compromise at best. M's move the battery into the trunk to make room for a muffler on that side.

Turner sells a kit from Supersprint but it's pricey.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...n-4x80mm-tips/

IMO not worth the money or effort. For half that you could put a sweet sounding Eisenmann or similar exhaust on the car.
Appreciate 1
Waoudi23.00
      03-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Sorry for your incident! Glad you weren't hurt.

Conversion to dual exhaust outlets will be a compromise at best. M's move the battery into the trunk to make room for a muffler on that side.

Turner sells a kit from Supersprint but it's pricey.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...n-4x80mm-tips/

IMO not worth the money or effort. For half that you could put a sweet sounding Eisenmann or similar exhaust on the car.
Thanks for the info. I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay that much for a conversion. I'm happy with the stock exhaust with the SI it would have been purely aesthetic.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

So sorry this happened....you may wish to have the LR suspension assessed and perhaps perform a 4 wheel alignment; this amount of impact may have affected the suspension.
      03-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Come on man, tainted? Really? It's a bolt-on fender and a bumper cover. With paint, barely $1,000 repair. My Z4 was hit by a Acura RDX. Her left front wheel hit my right rear (she glanced off to my right on her right wheels Joey Chittwood style). Broke my suspension all to hell, rear fender, bumper cover, and crushed the corner of the trunk box (even the fuel tank had to be replaced). $11.4K of damage. Got it fixed at one of the best BMW body shops on the East Coast. Good as new, paint was perfect. Drives perfect. I had the car only 3 months (I was pretty heartbroken at the time). Post repair, you can't even tell it was repaired (I have a lift and have thoroughly inspected the area, even underneath you can't tell). Find a certified BMW body shop.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-18-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
wdb4716.50
HTM10157.00
      03-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Did he stop? I was sideswiped by 18 wheeler on major hiway at 70mph. Luckily I was driving camry winterbeater. He put his foot flat down on gas pedal after contact and i had to chase and pull him over by overtaking and applying brakes til he stopped. Nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
Did he stop? I was sideswiped by 18 wheeler on major hiway at 70mph. Luckily I was driving camry winterbeater. He put his foot flat down on gas pedal after contact and i had to chase and pull him over by overtaking and applying brakes til he stopped. Nightmare.
You're braver than me... not sure I would trust a Camry to stop an 18 wheeler that was already running from the scene of an accident!

That looks like relatively minor in terms of repairs. Good luck with getting back to new, always sucks when stuff like this happens
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #15
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
Yes but the only reason he did was because i stepped on the gas and squeezed my way in front of him so he can see me. I was definitely lucky.
Appreciate 0