ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #23
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
It's a valid question, but I purchased my car in 2011 when it came off of a lease. It had just over 13,000 miles on it, no wind blocker, and the cracks were there. I added the wind blocker after I purchased the car and it did not cause any further cracking.
Good to know, as I have a wind blocker on the way. Though, I've got the extended leather, so if mine is cracked it seems that it would not be noticeable.

If you replace that piece, I wonder if there is some way to reinforce the backside of the new part to keep it from cracking.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #24
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Good to know, as I have a wind blocker on the way. Though, I've got the extended leather, so if mine is cracked it seems that it would not be noticeable.

If you replace that piece, I wonder if there is some way to reinforce the backside of the new part to keep it from cracking.
I think, because it happens to so many owners and is not random, that it is poorly engineered. The tolerances are too tight, and to get it to attach properly at the top and bottom of the panel, you put too much stress on that area of the panel.......... the shape needs a little more curve at that area as well as possibly a stronger design.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #25
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Is the piece bolted in place towards the top? Looks so from the pictures. To prevent from cracking perhaps use some thin material such as felt as a washer below and above to allow some movement of the piece as the car flexes. This could be a preventative measure.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #26
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Is the piece bolted in place towards the top? Looks so from the pictures. To prevent from cracking perhaps use some thin material such as felt as a washer below and above to allow some movement of the piece as the car flexes. This could be a preventative measure.

Thoughts?
I could be wrong here, but I think filing or shaving down the plastic on the backside where it makes contact with the side pieces, so there isn't as much torque on that section of the plastic, might do the trick. Your idea might work as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
GreatFrog
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0i, 03 330i ZHP

Quote:
Thanks for the sanity check John. I'll replace it myself once, with maybe reinforcing that area from behind (only to make it crack somewhere else I'm sure). My car is no sunny day toy, so I'm beyond trying to keep it pristine (my front bumper really could use some love).
Hey man, having the same crack on the driver side. Did you end up replacing the trim? How hard would you rate the job for a DIYer (on a scale of 10)? Do I need to remove extensive amount of panels to get it released? I am not afraid of messing with trim panels, but honestly Z4 posts more challenge interior-wise than most cars that I have worked on.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #28
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Not cracked (yet)

Quote:
Hi folks. Was cleaning the interior of my car on what was a beautiful sunny day here in the Northeast (finally) and noticed two symmetrical cracks on each side of my fold down storage. The piece is called the "oddments box trim". Does anyone know of people with a track car that might have some interior bits still in their possession? I've searched the classifieds and found one track car for sale and reached out to the owner. My interior is black.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_4939
I'll watch this closely.
      03-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #29
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Ummmm....not yet. Every time this past Summer/Fall that I set aside time to do the swap the weather was nice so I went for a mountain bike ride or a nice long drive.

I don't want to do the swap during cool or cold weather;I want all the plastic nice and warm. I hope to do it this Summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #30
BlueSapphire85
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M, Acura TL, Ford Ranger

Garage List
Thumbs up Crack(s)

I recently purchased an 06 M Roadster with a crack on both sides of the oddments box trim. The dealer agreed to pay to replace it but when he looked to order the part and found it would likely take months to get it he agreed to drop the price on the car. As I have looked for good sources for a replacement piece I also stumbled onto this thread. Looks to me like it’s a small flaw I can live with, thanks for the heads-up. The car is in great shape, my first sports car and my first BMW. I’m really enjoying it.
Appreciate 0