ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Hit while parked

So I was visiting Shenandoah National Park yesterday, cruising the Skyline on what was all the way to the end a perfect day! Very little traffic, tons of twisties, little to no LEO's around. Zep and Floyd blasting and the colors of fall starting to pop everywhere you looked.

Then as we were leaving, we decided to stop one last time at one of the overlook parking lot. We were out of the car looking at the scenery when some idiot was backing up and ended up backing into the my rear quarter! I was like 30 yards away screaming at him , he said he didn't see my car , but I saw him start to back up, hesitate and then went at it again as he had estimated he wouldn't hit me. Not really horrible, but shit just knowing it is there kills me. The paint didn't crack but there is a definite indentation and some scratches etc...

No cell coverage so we got each other info (thank God for smartphones) and we went our way. On the way down when I got signal, I call Geico to start my claim, we decided that I would call again when I got home. 5 minutes later another guy invaded my lane and had it not been for my girl screaming out to me he would have plastered me. I swear he missed me by inches. I had to pull over just to chill out I was f-ing fuming! WTF Virginia!

Oh well had to vent, LOL. I wish the guy had hit my front bumper instead since I am getting that resprayed this winter, LOL here's a pic.
      10-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Sorry that happened, When my wife and I go places in our Z4 I park so I can see the car and when I cant it bothers me. I wonder at times if it is worth having nice car or not, I would like to drive a junker sometimes and not have the worry.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf View Post
I wonder at times if it is worth having nice car or not, I would like to drive a junker sometimes and not have the worry.
So true.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf View Post
When my wife and I go places in our Z4 I park so I can see the car and when I cant it bothers me. I wonder at times if it is worth having nice car or not, I would like to drive a junker sometimes and not have the worry.
Absolutely same here. One reason I've been trying to find an insurance company with a reasonable agreed value policy. Also rolled around the idea of getting rid of my car lately in favor of something nice but that I'm not so attached to.

Ricanbandit, yep...sounds like VA drivers. I don't know if they're the worst I've dealt with in all the places I've lived but as a whole they're definitely the most inattentive and maddening. Hope everything gets fixed up good as new!
      10-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Hi Rican,

Really sorry to hear that bud. I live in MD but I've noticed that VA drivers on average are pretty...crappy at driving I can't count the number of times I've seen them either hogging the passing lane while going below the limit, cutting into lanes, changing lanes without signalling, etc. I've actually started to drive extremely defensively anytime I see that the person next to me has VA plates on now as I've had several close calls...

On the plus side, isn't the exit road into skyland so much fun? The cambered road combined with the fun twisties and double lanes going up are made for cars like ours!

Anyway, I hope you can get it fixed back soon, and congrats on coming back down the mountain alive

-gas-can
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Bummer, good thing you were there when it happened!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys, like I said, it is cosmetic, no structural damage or anything like that. Glided home like a champ. The guy that cut me off on Route 66 was downright dangerous. I swear it was a matter of inches, it was totally surreal having that car coming at me while I am doing 70.
      10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Thanks guys, like I said, it is cosmetic, no structural damage or anything like that. Glided home like a champ. The guy that cut me off on Route 66 was downright dangerous. I swear it was a matter of inches, it was totally surreal having that car coming at me while I am doing 70.
Let's hope that this incident was as close as you ever get to an accident, and that you never ever get a repeat! These cars are built tough but I'm sure we're all okay to accept BMW at their word on that point and are happy to forego the real-world testing.

Good luck with the parking lot damage; although annoying, it looks like it can be easily addressed and soon made good as new.

Allons-Y!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-can View Post
Hi Rican,

Really sorry to hear that bud. I live in MD but I've noticed that VA drivers on average are pretty...crappy at driving I can't count the number of times I've seen them either hogging the passing lane while going below the limit, cutting into lanes, changing lanes without signalling, etc. I've actually started to drive extremely defensively anytime I see that the person next to me has VA plates on now as I've had several close calls...

On the plus side, isn't the exit road into skyland so much fun? The cambered road combined with the fun twisties and double lanes going up are made for cars like ours!

Anyway, I hope you can get it fixed back soon, and congrats on coming back down the mountain alive

-gas-can
Indeed, the way there is almost more fun than the Skyline itself! But that being said, it is a BEAUTIFUL road! very scenic and well kept. Thinking about heading up in the jeep next year to camp over a long weekend. As far as the VA driver, don't know about all of them , but this guy came really close. I mean it could have gotten really ugly really fast. That day I understood road rage, never felt it to that level before, but had I had my Glock on me... Just kidding but really...