ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
wynnstuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5l

feedback on oil and plug condition wanted...

Hello all, starting to go over my stock '05 Z4 with 90760 miles on the M54 2.5L.
I noticed the oil looks dark. The auto broker I bought it from said they changed the oil while it was in their care. When I bought it the dash indicator showed the oil service was in 15350 miles. What is your impression of the color of the oil? Was it changed less than 1000miles ago?

The plugs in now are BMW 488 shown here. I have never had a car with the four ground electrodes. I found it interesting that the gap between center and outer was not consistent and varied around .005. I have yet to read up on how to gap these 4 electrode plugs. What’s your impression of the brow around the base? This is the #1 cylinder plug.

NGK Laser Dbl Plat/Spark Plug
For your 2005 BMW Z4 2.5L EFI DOHC 6cyl
Price: $8.99
Part Number: 3199

There seems to be a lot of build up in and around the oil fill hole and cap. Is this common? Should I try and use a cleaner like the Molly engine cleaner before the oil change?

Thanks in advance - shawn.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Can't help with the oil build up, but the dark oil is pretty common. You can't really tell the condition of the oil just by looking at its color. The oil on my X5 turns dark after a few hundred miles of an oil change. As long as you don't see any sludge or "white cheese", you should be fine. If in doubt, just have another oil change...less than $50 if you buy jugs from "Wally World".

The gaps should be pretty consistent on those electrodes. These spark plugs comes pre-gapped and no need to gap them. Those NGK that you listed will work just fine and is way cheaper than the re-branded OE plugs. I have them on my X5 for about 30k miles now (replacing the OE Bosch plugs) without issues.
Appreciate 0