ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-28-2024, 02:57 PM   #1
wigwig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Help removing exhaust manifold

Replacing the head gasket on my 2003 3.0i, but I can’t get enough room to slip the exhaust manifolds over the studs. Anyone have any tricks for getting these out? I bent the head shield out of the way with a mallet, but it doesn’t seem to want to go any further.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:14 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

When I replaced the OEM manifolds with tubular headers, a number of the studs wound out with the frozen nuts.
You might try (not a recommendation) double nutting the studs and try winding them out of the head. This is what I ended up doing.
Luckily I did not damage any threads in the head.

OR just remove the head with manifolds attached.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:18 PM   #3
wigwig
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
When I replaced the OEM manifolds with tubular headers, a number of the studs wound out with the frozen nuts.
You might try (not a recommendation) double nutting the studs and try winding them out of the head. This is what I ended up doing.
Luckily I did not damage any threads in the head.

OR just remove the head with manifolds attached.
It seems like there is quite a bit attached to the underside of the manifolds, do you think that would all be able to just come off with the head? I was able to unbolt about them about a foot and a half from where the manifolds attach. I might end up trying that, I’ve moved on to removing the camshafts now while I try to come up with a solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:00 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Not exactly what you're dealing with as the manifolds go, but shows the extent of the manifold overhang to the collector flanges.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 01:05 PM   #5
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec.../tech_main.htm

Try looking up info required there…
      01-30-2024, 03:37 PM   #6
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Not sure I fully understand the situation, however here is an image from when I replaced the exhaust manifolds and gaskets - removed the air pump valve and hose for clearance if I recall

This DIY may be helpful https://www.billswebspace.com/BMWZ4M...stallation.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:46 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Might be that the M54 head sits a bit closer to the strut towers and other interferences than the S54 head
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:53 AM   #8
wigwig
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just a sort of update in case anyone has the same/similar issue, you are in fact able to pull the head and just leave the manifolds intact. I did end up snapping both of the side tensioner guides, but I think as long as you know what you are doing ( I didn’t know they were there D: ) then you should be fine
Appreciate 0