ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-12-2024, 01:09 PM   #89
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 (not E86)

Rats!

So I took the Z4 for some exorcize before the storm coming in to Michigan this morning and the CEL came on. These are the codes: p0175 and p0172 system to rich banks 1 and 2. There was no noticeable change in the car's operation or power (it is fast).

I have previously cleaned the MAF and changed the engine air filter. I also ran a full bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner though it. Still, it threw these codes at 55 mph. Or should I say, that is what I was doing when I noticed the CEL on.

The car runs really well. It is strong. My buddy with the real computer (I used OBD2/DashCommand) is out of town at a wedding until next week.

Any easy things to try from your cumulative decades of experience you can share?

Please advise and thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:22 AM   #90
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Well, I use my tool to clear the codes and I ran a second bottle of Techron for half a tank (haven’t been able to drive it since during that half a tank the light did not come back on and it didn’t throw any codes at least per my generic scanner.

Fingers crossed. It was up singular event due to not being run very much for the last six years
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 11:25 AM   #91
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloyouis2 View Post
Well, I use my tool to clear the codes and I ran a second bottle of Techron for half a tank (haven’t been able to drive it since during that half a tank the light did not come back on and it didn’t throw any codes at least per my generic scanner.

Fingers crossed. It was up singular event due to not being run very much for the last six years
If it gives you problems again it might be the MAF connector. You can get a new connector kit from ECS Tuning for around $25. I had mystery codes that would come and go and some engine rpm bounce. Changed that and haven't had another code in over a year.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 03:08 PM   #92
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
If it gives you problems again it might be the MAF connector. You can get a new connector kit from ECS Tuning for around $25. I had mystery codes that would come and go and some engine rpm bounce. Changed that and haven't had another code in over a year.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:15 AM   #93
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Yes or no? Pre-gapped accurately from NGK or needed to be gapped? If yes, what gap? I am now worried I may have made a poor choice.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG_0917.pdf (1.35 MB, 21 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 02:49 PM   #94
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Typically plugs come pre-gapped. I always double check that they are though. It should say on the box somewhere what the gap is. It's supposed to be .043.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2024, 06:12 PM   #95
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

I switched to these: NGK 94122
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 03:02 PM   #96
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Installing the BlueBus tomorrow. Can't wait. Should sound great. Car has the 10 speaker Carver system in it. Be glad to have a working cell phone tied to the car stereo system and use of the steering wheel controls.

Woot! Woot!

Drove it today. I know... winter roads are dry for a day and I could not help myself.

Last edited by Aloyouis2; 02-02-2024 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 03:41 PM   #97
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Drove it today. I know... winter. Roads are dry for a day and I could not help myself.
I’m doing everything to hold back keep hearing patience grasshopper. today was soooo tempting the lot at work though still is like a salt flat.

Last edited by Piper1; 02-02-2024 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:16 PM   #98
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
I’m doing everything to hold back keep hearing patience grasshopper. today was soooo tempting the lot at work though still is like a salt flat.
I work from home. Drove out off the sub going 3 MPH and 25 mile ws basically clean. Hosed it down in the driveway when I got home.

Still feel bad.

Will do it again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 08:18 PM   #99
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I work from home. Drove out off the sub going 3 MPH and 25 mile ws basically clean. Hosed it down in the driveway when I got home.

Still feel bad.

Will do it again tomorrow.
Depending when you’re taking it out tomorrow I might be game. Have to shuffle the cars around a bit to get the coupe outta storage how things are arranged in the garage hit me up if you want on pm when you think you’ll be heading out.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2024, 09:29 PM   #100
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Depending when you’re taking it out tomorrow I might be game. Have to shuffle the cars around a bit to get the coupe outta storage how things are arranged in the garage hit me up if you want on pm when you think you’ll be heading out.
Absolutely! My son is coming over in the AM to assist with the BlueBus and plugs (I don't need help, but I love him "helping" me).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:45 PM   #101
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely! My son is coming over in the AM to assist with the BlueBus and plugs (I don't need help, but I love him "helping" me).
Our kiddo loves helping out and learning but still young so I’ve got him involved in changing the jeeps oil since there’s no need to lift it up and have him as my tool and shop rag runner if I’m under the cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:28 PM   #102
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Our kiddo loves helping out and learning but still young so I’ve got him involved in changing the jeeps oil since there’s no need to lift it up and have him as my tool and shop rag runner if I’m under the cars.
We just finished in the garage! Got carried away. Ended up doing the Z4 plugs, and oil changes on his RAM truck, the Accord, the JLU and the Z4. There isn't a drop of oil left in my garage and some missing from the shelf at Wallyworld.

Put off the BlueBus until tomorrow.

Why the Z oil again? Why not? I have no service records from the 2 previous owners, the oil was pretty black when I changed it when I bought it and my son suggested we do it again, I had enough Castrol Euro LL-01, I wasn't below the hard deck for very long, there was no danger so we changed it again.

The plugs turned out to be ORIGINAL. Car only has 48k miles but those plugs were 15.5 YEARS OLD. How do they look to you real mechanics?

The test drive post plugs (pre-oil change) showed a 3 to 4 mile per gallon increase as well as a more peppy car! And I'm not talking about a little bit more but 20% at least. Not exaggerating. Hard not to recommend those NGK plugs. We'll see how they perform overtime but over 20 miles today they were fabulous.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aloyouis2; 02-03-2024 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:44 PM   #103
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We just finished in the garage! Got carried away. Ended up doing the Z4 plugs, and oil changes on his RAM truck, the Accord, the JLU and the Z4. There isn't a drop of oil left in my garage and some missing from the shelf at Wallyworld.

Put off the BlueBus until tomorrow.

Why the Z oil again? Why not? I have no service records from the 2 previous owners, the oil was pretty black when I changed it when I bought it and my son suggested we do it again, I had enough Castrol Euro LL-01, I wasn't below the hard deck for very long, there was no danger so we changed it again.

The plugs turned out to be ORIGINAL. Car only has 48k miles but those plugs were 15.5 YEARS OLD. How do they look to you real mechanics?

The test drive post plugs (pre-oil change) showed a 3 to 4 mile per gallon increase as well as a more peppy car! And I'm not talking about a little bit more but 20% at least. Not exaggerating. Hard not to recommend those NGK plugs. We'll see how they perform overtime but over 20 miles today they were fabulous.
Looking at them and no service records I’d have changed them to I’ve used ngk iridium’s for a long time not just in the Zs, and changed before I really needed to when I was going f/i just to have fresh plugs/coils at the time I was doing a compression test since it’s all out anyway. Had done a bit of searching vs what you picked up the only con in the pros/cons towards iridium is price in comparison. Prolly couldn’t go wrong with either. I too overly change my oil and honestly on the grand scheme of things plugs and oil are some of the cheapest and easiest diys you can do on these. My brother in law was over one day when I was changing out an abs sensor and plugs/coils on the 128 and after it all he was like that’s it? Hated doing plugs on my 99 avenger you had to take the intake plenum off to get to the back 3. Should be a great day tomorrow too to get out and stuff done.

Last edited by Piper1; 02-03-2024 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:44 PM   #104
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looking at them and no service records I’d have changed them to I’ve used ngk iridium’s for a long time not just in the Zs, and changed before I really needed to when I was going f/i just to have fresh plugs/coils at the time I was doing a compression test since it’s all out anyway. Had done a bit of searching vs what you picked up the only con in the pros/cons towards iridium is price in comparison. Prolly couldn’t go wrong with either. I too overly change my oil and honestly on the grand scheme of things plugs and oil are some of the cheapest and easiest diys you can do on these. My brother in law was over one day when I was changing out an abs sensor and plugs/coils on the 128 and after it all he was like that’s it? Hated doing plugs on my 99 avenger you had to take the intake plenum off to get to the back 3. Should be a great day tomorrow too to get out and stuff done.

Yup. Supposed to be nice. I really want to get that Bluebus in. Going to be a few hours bent over the trunk searching for connectors. My back is already pre-pissed about it.

Agree 100% on oil and plugs. Cheap insurance and makes me feel like I am doing something to battle time/miles. Plugs/oil today made what I THOUGHT was a smooth power train even more smooth and more powerful. For $100. What a deal!

I wanna wash it again. Car needs a clay bar and a wheel out. Paint is great for its age but you can feel surface shit from sitting in a garage. When we finally meet up, I need your opinion on a couple of rubber trim pieces too, if you don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 09:06 PM   #105
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Going to be a few hours bent over the trunk searching for connectors. My back is already pre-pissed about it.

I wanna wash it again. Car needs a clay bar and a wheel out. Paint is great for its age but you can feel surface shit from sitting in a garage. When we finally meet up, I need your opinion on a couple of rubber trim pieces too, if you don't mind.
Oh fun times I remember being upside down in the trunk and pulling everything out when replacing shocks fun times every time I pop up the hatch of the coupe now just looking in the back makes me happy there’s so much room that I don’t have to kill my back squeezing in like in the roadster.

I need to clay too one thing I’ve procrastinated at. for sure there’s certain trim pieces that bite the dust for most of us just from the age if not the weathering will try helping you figure out what we can with what you’ve got no worries at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 10:02 AM   #106
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

t3ddftw

On the BlueBus front I have been communicating with Ted (BlueBus inventor). He has been awesome in responding to email taking the time to send me drawings and even marking up a picture I sent him to show where the TCU cable should be as well as where the hidden cd changer cables likely are.

Stupendous.

I will be braking my back in that tiny trunk later this afternoon and will repost back what success I have. If 100% I will upload a video showing how it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 11:16 AM   #107
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Installed! Make sure when you plug in the connectors that you push them all the way in!

Works great! Now I just need to figure out the menu system. Success turning on the OT blinkers but not the locks...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 08:49 AM   #108
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Installed! Make sure when you plug in the connectors that you push them all the way in!

Works great! Now I just need to figure out the menu system. Success turning on the OT blinkers but not the locks...
I simply can't express enough just how awesome this blue bus device is! Everything it's supposed to do it does and it does it with high-quality sound. The installation ended up being much easier than I thought it would be with the only glitch being I failed to push, the telephony connector from the TCU far enough into the blue bus which obviously caused communication issues. Other than that it works flawlessly. So far it's the best investment I've added to the Z other than replacing the run flats.

On the driving side of the equation, I took it out yesterday with the top down (57° here in Michigan if you can believe it). What a machine! I'm so happy I bought this car!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 10:20 AM   #109
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I simply can't express enough just how awesome this blue bus device is! Everything it's supposed to do it does and it does it with high-quality sound. The installation ended up being much easier than I thought it would be with the only glitch being I failed to push, the telephony connector from the TCU far enough into the blue bus which obviously caused communication issues. Other than that it works flawlessly. So far it's the best investment I've added to the Z other than replacing the run flats.

On the driving side of the equation, I took it out yesterday with the top down (57° here in Michigan if you can believe it). What a machine! I'm so happy I bought this car!
Bright sunny and 60s if you haven’t yet look into clearing the soft top drains. I’ve got plenty extra of the hosing I used you’re more than welcome to if you want to go that route. Deciding I needed to take today off and bask in this, though my sinuses aren’t too happy with me for grilling weather in February
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 11:33 AM   #110
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Yup. Supposed to be nice. I really want to get that Bluebus in. Going to be a few hours bent over the trunk searching for connectors. My back is already pre-pissed about it.

Agree 100% on oil and plugs. Cheap insurance and makes me feel like I am doing something to battle time/miles. Plugs/oil today made what I THOUGHT was a smooth power train even more smooth and more powerful. For $100. What a deal!

Got a part number for the plugs, which I believe you said are NGK Iridium’s?
Appreciate 0