ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-06-2024, 05:03 PM   #67
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 (not E86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I know the feeling, one of the springs broke on my double wide door and I couldn't believe how heavy it was to lift with only one spring working. Luckily my local distributor had both left/right springs in stock, so I picked them up and installed both, didn't want the other one to fail too. Now it works better than it ever did and I was able to reduce the opener strength a bit
Yeah. This is my double side of the garage as well. It is a 2 inch thick insulated door that is also 18 inches taller than normal to allow for a taller truck (think a tradesman type truck). I sell technology/software for a living and don't own that type of truck, but if I did, it would fit, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 05:13 PM   #68
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Back to my "I am new here and have dumb questions" thread...

This car came with the S704 M Sports Suspension. This car handles like a dream.

But it is STIFF and the wife hates it. I have seen posts across different forums where folks have replaced the struts/shocks with different Bilstein units. Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement Bilstein (or other) that would maintain the handling while softening up the ride? The roads around here can be very rough and now that it is finally getting cold the frost heaves will get brutal for a few months. As mentioned previously, I replaced the aging Potenzas with Falken ZIEK ZE950 A/S which did reduce the harshness some and almost eliminated the tramlining entirely. I am now happy but wife is not. When spring comes I don't want to get pushed to the Wrangler for top down driving.

Any advice in this regard would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 06:46 PM   #69
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloyouis2 View Post

But it is STIFF and the wife hates it. I have seen posts across different forums where folks have replaced the struts/shocks with different Bilstein units. Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement Bilstein (or other) that would maintain the handling while softening up the ride? The roads around here can be very rough and now that it is finally getting cold the frost heaves will get brutal for a few months. As mentioned previously, I replaced the aging Potenzas with Falken ZIEK ZE950 A/S which did reduce the harshness some and almost eliminated the tramlining entirely. I am now happy but wife is not. When spring comes I don't want to get pushed to the Wrangler for top down driving.

The Msport suspension came with:
  • Lower ride height (0.6")
  • Stiffer springs and dampers that are valved for the stiffer springs
  • Larger sway bars
All of these things add to the harsher ride on rough roads and the 18" wheels don't help.
Changing to a non Msport suspension will smooth the ride out a little, just remember, short wheelbase, sitting close to the ground, sports car handling does not equal a soft ride, this is no wranger, lol...
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 07:25 PM   #70
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
The Msport suspension came with:
  • Lower ride height (0.6")
  • Stiffer springs and dampers that are valved for the stiffer springs
  • Larger sway bars
All of these things add to the harsher ride on rough roads and the 18" wheels don't help.
Changing to a non Msport suspension will smooth the ride out a little, just remember, short wheelbase, sitting close to the ground, sports car handling does not equal a soft ride, this is no wranger, lol...
First, thanks for answering the next question: What is the M Sport suspension? Seriously, that was coming next.

Clearly, the very nature of this beast is a firm or harsh ride. Totally get it.

That said, the suspension components are 15 years OLD. Even if I were to desire the OEM ride I would likely need to replace aging pieces. Since that needs to happen anyway, I thought the replacement parts might have been improved for better ride since 2008.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:33 PM   #71
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:

I’ll piggy back on the post above. My wife actually drove the roady more the first day we had it than I did. Being a 03 2.5 it came with 17s on sport suspension which do help. The way it sits now if it was the first z4 she’d drive she’d never let you get it, once you’re in it you’ll understand why if yours is harsh for her. 03-05 were prone to rear springs breaking and mine was no exception. When I priced a replacement oem spring it was more than a set of eibach sport lowering springs so that’s the reason I went down the rabbit hole. I have koni yellow adjustables and am very firm. 1/2 turn from full on front and 1/4 turn from full on the back. Think everyone I pass in the sub thinks my cars about to fall apart especially with the added camber plates. The coupe is totally different on stock sport and the Mrs thinks our e82 on non sport feels like a Buick Very possible it’s tired suspension and stock when replaced will be sufficient for her but anyway will tell you if you go to 17 vs 18 that’ll help on our roads from the comfort perspective. Hop in my roady and you’ll know it’s more performance comfort be damned gotta get together for a chat some time soon. Also check your front strut tops. The rubber is prone to cracking and can be seen looking at the opening of the strut tower I’ve got a spare set if they are with low miles laying around when I took them off for the camber plates.

I avoid schoenherr by us and roads of the like as much as I can in the 85, have no issue in the 86 on stock sport (not for much longer) but in the end that’s the sacrifice performance or comfort you’re only going to be able to go so far one way to the other before sacrificing the opposing. If you think you want to see what it’s like on 17s I have a set that I’ll be getting a/s for the e82 for spring, I use to use them on the e85 if you want to mount them up once there’s new tires on them to see what you think.

Last edited by Piper1; 01-06-2024 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 07:39 PM   #72
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First, thanks for answering the next question: What is the M Sport suspension? Seriously, that was coming next.

Clearly, the very nature of this beast is a firm or harsh ride. Totally get it.

That said, the suspension components are 15 years OLD. Even if I were to desire the OEM ride I would likely need to replace aging pieces. Since that needs to happen anyway, I thought the replacement parts might have been improved for better ride since 2008.

Thoughts?
From damper perspective if both of you are sharing the ride if you’re more performance oriented adjustables will let you change it for your both desired rides as something to think about. Koni on the rear suck to adjust though the rear shock has to be at full compression so off the car to be able to adjust vs the fronts that are just by twist on the top strut adjuster
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 11:22 AM   #73
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
From damper perspective if both of you are sharing the ride if you’re more performance oriented adjustables will let you change it for your both desired rides as something to think about. Koni on the rear suck to adjust though the rear shock has to be at full compression so off the car to be able to adjust vs the fronts that are just by twist on the top strut adjuster
I doubt she ever actually drives it unless there is a logistical reason. She'll be a passenger. I'd like her to be comfortable if possible.

Does anyone make adjustable shocks that are easy to adjust? Being able to move back-and-forth from a more firm to a more compliant ride would be outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 07:55 PM   #74
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone make adjustable shocks that are easy to adjust? Being able to move back-and-forth from a more firm to a more compliant ride would be outstanding.
If I’m not mistaken for ease on adjustables for rears you’ll need to go coilovers. Someone that knows better will probably chime in. On coilovers if they don’t have lower body/base mounted adjustments for the damper it’ll be at the tops which there’s some that offer extenders for that making it easier to adjust inside the car although would also have to see the best routing on the extenders for top fold down clearance but not entirely not doable. See how tempting the rabbit hole is

Last edited by Piper1; 01-07-2024 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 08:45 PM   #75
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
If I’m not mistaken for ease on adjustables for rears you’ll need to go coilovers. Someone that knows better will probably chime in. On coilovers if they don’t have lower body/base mounted adjustments for the damper it’ll be at the tops which there’s some that offer extenders for that making it easier to adjust inside the car although would also have to see the best routing on the extenders for top fold down clearance but not entirely not doable. See how tempting the rabbit hole is
Yup...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:38 AM   #76
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Your shocks are almost certainly due for replacement. Check the rear springs too because they're famous for breaking. Also of course DITCH THE RUN-FLATS if you haven't already.

That said, these cars have a flinty ride. My wife and I made long weekend jaunts without discomfort or complaint, but our current 996 911 has a much more compliant ride.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 04:57 PM   #77
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Your shocks are almost certainly due for replacement. Check the rear springs too because they're famous for breaking. Also of course DITCH THE RUN-FLATS if you haven't already.

That said, these cars have a flinty ride. My wife and I made long weekend jaunts without discomfort or complaint, but our current 996 911 has a much more compliant ride.
There is almost no up-and-down movement at any corner. It doesn't flutter up and down. It just doesn't move much maybe an inch and a half. Maybe less.

I'll be looking on FCP euro later tonight at shock/strut/Spring packages. Briefly looking at lunch today. It appears to me that the Billstein b4's are probably best for my wife's fussy rear end. Yes, I realize this will soften the suspension but that's fine with me.

What other bits and pieces should I buy at the same time? I've watched a few videos, and it appears that I have the tools and the skill set to change out all four corners, but I've never done it before.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 06:16 PM   #78
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is almost no up-and-down movement at any corner. It doesn't flutter up and down. It just doesn't move much maybe an inch and a half. Maybe less.

I'll be looking on FCP euro later tonight at shock/strut/Spring packages. Briefly looking at lunch today. It appears to me that the Billstein b4's are probably best for my wife's fussy rear end. Yes, I realize this will soften the suspension but that's fine with me.

What other bits and pieces should I buy at the same time? I've watched a few videos, and it appears that I have the tools and the skill set to change out all four corners, but I've never done it before.

Thoughts?
Not sure you'll find damper/spring "packages", except coilovers, on FCP
When dampers wear out, they typically get softer, not firmer, so the firmness you feel with the push test is probably due to the firmer/shorter sport springs.

The springs and dampers work together as a system and when they don't match, they don't work optimally, i.e. using a softer damper with the stiffer sport springs the rebound will be too fast giving the ride a pogo effect. Maybe contact Billstein to see if they have any recommendations. But to soften the ride, you'll probably do well with non Msport springs and B4 dampers.
Replace strut tops and any worn suspension parts at the same time.
I'm sure you know this, but compressing the springs can be extremely dangerous if something goes wrong, so take the proper precautions to be safe.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 06:32 PM   #79
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not sure you'll find damper/spring "packages", except coilovers, on FCP
When dampers wear out, they typically get softer, not firmer, so the firmness you feel with the push test is probably due to the firmer/shorter sport springs. 100% agree which is why it kind of threw me off and made me wonder if the springs are broken?

The springs and dampers work together as a system and when they don't match, they don't work optimally, i.e. using a softer damper with the stiffer sport springs the rebound will be too fast giving the ride a pogo effect. Maybe contact Billstein to see if they have any recommendations. But to soften the ride, you'll probably do well with non Msport springs and B4 dampers. This is exactly what I was contemplating.

Replace strut tops and any worn suspension parts at the same time. Will do.
I'm sure you know this, but compressing the springs can be extremely dangerous if something goes wrong, so take the proper precautions to be safe.
The spring compression scares me as much or more that changing the garage door springs. Just had that done by a local company!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:14 PM   #80
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I rent the big boy spring compressor from Auto Zone. They charge you for the cost of the tool, you use it and return it, they refund your money. Good deal.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...sor/537058_0_0
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 09:20 PM   #81
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The spring compression scares me as much or more that changing the garage door springs. Just had that done by a local company!
I did my own garage springs, but used proper precautions, and it was a piece of cake, but if you don't know what you're doing yeah, it could turn out not so good for for you.

As for the car springs, as wdb mentions, use a commercial type spring compressor, makes the job much safer, just use proper precautions, i.e spring ends not pointed toward body parts and you should be good.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 07:48 AM   #82
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I rent the big boy spring compressor from Auto Zone. They charge you for the cost of the tool, you use it and return it, they refund your money. Good deal.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...sor/537058_0_0
Great idea. I often forget they have those tools.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 08:04 AM   #83
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

I found this video from May of 2023 to be very interesting. Maybe I liked it due to confirmation bias (his conclusion supports my thinking).

I don't have a lift but I do have floor stands so the job (minus compressing the springs) looks easy.

Has anyone a good source for the shocks/springs/bits here in the US?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:00 AM   #84
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't have a lift but I do have floor stands.

Has anyone a good source for the shocks/springs/bits here in the US?
My quickjack by far has been the tool I wish I got sooner in the garage, honestly paid for itself the first use.

As far as sourcing parts fcp typically is the first, in stock standard shipping normally gets to me in 3 days, rock auto occasionally but get more stuff for the jeep from them, depending Turner as well, there’s even a discount site to the parts department at the dealer in Rochester too I’ll edit and link in here when I get to the desk top. OEM I typically shop around at who ever from those I can get the best pricing for same items.

Edit: https://www.oembmwminidiscountparts.com/
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 09:21 AM   #85
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
My quickjack by far has been the tool I wish I got sooner in the garage, honestly paid for itself the first use.

As far as sourcing parts fcp typically is the first, in stock standard shipping normally gets to me in 3 days, rock auto occasionally but get more stuff for the jeep from them, depending Turner as well, there’s even a discount site to the parts department at the dealer in Rochester too I’ll edit and link in here when I get to the desk top. OEM I typically shop around at who ever from those I can get the best pricing for same items.

Edit: https://www.oembmwminidiscountparts.com/
I would love to get a Quickjack but as of right now I can either get that or get the parts I want - not both. I mean, I could get both but that would be kinda hypocritical of me given the recent post-Christmas budget bitching I have been doing around here .

So the parts will be the choice as of now.

I absolutely despise that dealer on Dequindre. I will drive over the Erhard if I need a dealer. That said, if they have a discount OEM site I will absolutely check it out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:46 AM   #86
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I absolutely despise that dealer on Dequindre. I will drive over the Erhard if I need a dealer. That said, if they have a discount OEM site I will absolutely check it out. Thanks!
I tend to avoid them like the plague too using them as my last resort or for the pricing on certain parts. Frank in sales was a great people person even though never purchased anything there and Ilia in service was great but both are gone now, I’ll have to tell you some time about my e82 being there plenty of face palm moments.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 12:41 PM   #87
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One comment I’m going to say from the video it’s a bit of a pet peeve. Said he didn’t have the tool to make sure he tq the shock top back when putting new together but then he persists to go past the click extra when using the tq wrench mounting them in. So if he’s set the wrench up properly he just over torqued everything and put extra strain on the wrench doing it so why bother with it if you’re just over tightening anyway. Kinda like my high school auto tech teacher a lug isn’t tight until you hear it chirp
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 01:15 PM   #88
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep

Quote:
One comment I’m going to say from the video it’s a bit of a pet peeve. Said he didn’t have the tool to make sure he tq the shock top back when putting new together but then he persists to go past the click extra when using the tq wrench mounting them in. So if he’s set the wrench up properly he just over torqued everything and put extra strain on the wrench doing it so why bother with it if you’re just over tightening anyway. Kinda like my high school auto tech teacher a lug isn’t tight until you hear it chirp
Yeah. People are funny when they learn how to use a tool. If they learn incorrectly they will do it wrong forever.
Appreciate 0