ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Smurfskier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0

Convertible top issue

So I am not sure if my motor is going on my electric top or not. The car will open and put the top down with no issues. Just as fast as normal. The problem is that it is really slow putting the top back up. Could the hydraulic fluid be low or is the motor going? Any insight would be much appreciated. I have searched but everyone else seems to just have the motor stop working.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a chance your drains got clogged and your motor is rusted out. If so the repair is fairly expensive, unless you do it yourself.
      07-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Mine did the exact same before it went out; it would get slower and slower coming up, until just a couple of weeks ago it finally went out. I just replaced my motor this past weekend using ShipKiller's DIY; the only difference was I didn't remove the entire top, just removed it enough to get the motor out and replace it. 4-6 hour job.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Smurfskier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0

Cool ..... I looked at the DIY and it doesn't look to bad. I have done larger projects.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

No, its not bad really, just time consuming as it took me time to identify the parts, make an extra run to the hardware store for the larger Torx (T40) bit I didn't have, figure out how some parts came out, how they re-attached, etc. If I did it again, it would be around 2 hrs.

I would suggest triple-taping the body before you pull the hoop out of the back, or, use thick towels like I did to protect the paint..... That hoop could do some real damage to the paint if you don't have it protected.

Also suggest the head-mounted work-light; many steps take both hands ..... So unless you have an assistant to hold a flash-light, you'll want that "head-light".
Appreciate 0