ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #23
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I've bought the ignition switch also, sadly not as cheap as some of you, 15 bucks for the part, 25 bucks for crappy shipping..

i haven't installed it yet, as its really intermittened.. sometimes it will work for 10 goes at a time, then not for 2 or 3 turns of the key and then back to normal..

So i have the switch, just wanna be sure that this is the issue..

** the Clutch Switch **

what the hell is this all about? so you cant start the car unless you depress the clutch pedal right?? well on mine i can start the car without pressing the clutch pedal at all.. Is that normal? I have cruize control if that makes any difference??

Reason i ask (i thought it was normal, being old school and all, pretty daft if you try to even start the car in gear without pressing the clutch pedal.. so i generally start in Neutral without pressing the clutch pedal..

don't have to get in the car and its great for warming her up before finally jumping in and going…

so my question is this… will the car start without pressing the clutch pedal in Neutral? (on yours)?

i may just swap the ignition switch out anyways, and see if that does anything, but the whole clutch switch is pretty strange.. i only brought it up as my indy jumped in and looked rather strange at me when i started the car while standing next to it. (not sitting inside it

anyways.. hope this post made a little sense??

Stiggy, man awesome post mate, hat of to ya You are the DIY king mate.
      01-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
I've bought the ignition switch also, sadly not as cheap as some of you, 15 bucks for the part, 25 bucks for crappy shipping..

i haven't installed it yet, as its really intermittened.. sometimes it will work for 10 goes at a time, then not for 2 or 3 turns of the key and then back to normal..

So i have the switch, just wanna be sure that this is the issue..

** the Clutch Switch **

what the hell is this all about? so you cant start the car unless you depress the clutch pedal right?? well on mine i can start the car without pressing the clutch pedal at all.. Is that normal? I have cruize control if that makes any difference??

Reason i ask (i thought it was normal, being old school and all, pretty daft if you try to even start the car in gear without pressing the clutch pedal.. so i generally start in Neutral without pressing the clutch pedal..

don't have to get in the car and its great for warming her up before finally jumping in and going…

so my question is this… will the car start without pressing the clutch pedal in Neutral? (on yours)?

i may just swap the ignition switch out anyways, and see if that does anything, but the whole clutch switch is pretty strange.. i only brought it up as my indy jumped in and looked rather strange at me when i started the car while standing next to it. (not sitting inside it

anyways.. hope this post made a little sense??

Stiggy, man awesome post mate, hat of to ya You are the DIY king mate.
on US-spec cars, there is a clutch switch. Basically, depressing the clutch pedal will hit the switch and connect the starter circuit (via relay). So it doesn't matter what gear the car is in, or in neutral. It won't start unless you depress the clutch to engage the switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #25
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Ok, is this on euro cars too? i think ill field that question over at the /other/ end..
      01-12-2016, 02:04 AM   #26
StigJ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe & '14 F30

I dont have this feature on my euro spec coupe.
      01-12-2016, 05:06 AM   #27
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

yep, its confirmed, you can start the euro version without pressing the clutch pedal..
      01-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #28
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Somebody over here probably sued a manufacturer after starting their car in gear and won.
You should see what lawn mowers have turned into over here, to keep idiot's fingers and toes attached.
I got a new one last year and had to spend 2 hours modifying it before it was usable.

Last edited by StickMon; 01-12-2016 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #29
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Somebody over here probably sued a manufacturer after starting their car in gear and won.
You should see what lawn mowers have turned into over here, to keep idiots fingers and toes attached.
I got a new one last year and had to spend 2 hours modifying it before it was usable.
the very first lawn mower I bought with that stupid handle that has to be held in order to start. I pulled so hard on chord without the handle depressed that I broke the chord.

Took the POS back andbought a tyne mower
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 02:30 AM   #30
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Resolved: ignition switch seems to have been the issue. 20 plus starts now and all is good.. Fingers crossed.. Oh and Stiggy, best DIY ever, so simple even I could do it ;-)