ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
SpeedN8
Slower traffic keep right.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35d & '18 M4 Coupe ZCP

Advice Please - Z4M Roadster - New owner w / a few questions

Just purchased a 06 Z4M Roadster (18k mi) and I can't live with the scratches on the silver dash trim and trim around the shifter. I definitely want this thing looking original so I'd like to only replace with same trim or the black carbon leather trim. Any advice on where to purchase the trim for the best price? Oh...also the seatbelt clip is missing and cup holder is broken. It's a weekend driver so I can fix myself if I know a good place to purchase parts.

Second, being that I don't know much about this car, is there anything that I should look out for mechanically or otherwise? I love the motor. I had a m3 with the same motor so I know it doesn't like cold weather but I want to keep this car for at least 5 years and have it well maintained. What's this about inspections? I'm reading as much as I can and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nate
Greensboro, NC

Last edited by SpeedN8; 03-11-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
SpeedN8
United_States
Rep

Pics: http://modules04.dealercarsearch.com/usercontrols/largephotos.aspx?id=1643055

I don't know h long that link will work since. Bought the car a few days ago.
      03-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

300 grit wet sand in one direction followed by a couple passes of wet 400 will have the aluminum looking better than new. I did it to mine and its perfect. Worse case of you don't like the way it turns out then you can buy new stuff or have it painted. I would invest in the $8 worth of auto sand paper and less than 2 hours of your time that it takes to remove the trim and put the money you save towards another mod.

BTW, congrats on the new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
SpeedN8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr
300 grit wet sand in one direction followed by a couple passes of wet 400 will have the aluminum looking better than new. I did it to mine and its perfect. Worse case of you don't like the way it turns out then you can buy new stuff or have it painted. I would invest in the $8 worth of auto sand paper and less than 2 hours of your time that it takes to remove the trim and put the money you save towards another mod.

Thanks on the advice! I'll give that a try.
      03-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateboozer View Post
Thanks on the advice! I'll give that a try.
If you have some real deep nicks and dings you might have to go with something a little more coarse. Its a very easy project and removing the trim pieces will actually take longer that the actual sanding process. Reassembly is a breeze. Just make sure you keep with the original surface grain. The 400 will take it down a little smoother than the factory texture but I prefered that look. Let me know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Quote:
Just purchased a 06 Z4M Roadster (18k mi) and I can't live with the scratches on the silver dash trim and trim around the shifter. I definitely want this thing looking original so I'd like to only replace with same trim or the black carbon leather trim. Any advice on where to purchase the trim for the best price? Oh...also the seatbelt clip is missing and cup holder is broken. It's a weekend driver so I can fix myself if I know a good place to purchase parts.

Second, being that I don't know much about this car, is there anything that I should look out for mechanically or otherwise? I love the motor. I had a m3 with the same motor so I know it doesn't like cold weather but I want to keep this car for at least 5 years and have it well maintained. What's this about inspections? I'm reading as much as I can and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nate
Greensboro, NC
Look at the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377102

Here is another good link from bimmerfest http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130986

When I got my Z4M Coupe home, I found that 2 of the passenger side motor mounts were loose (one missing, the other loose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post

That sounds like something I might have to try also!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
davebho
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

there's a seller on this board

have you seen this? http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653539

Seems like a good price for this stuff! I'd buy it if I were in your shoes...then the pieces around the shifter, buy some of the carbon vinyl and wrap em!

As I said, I'd totally do that if i were in your shoes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

For the cupholder I bought mine at Tischer (getbmwparts.com) for a decent price. Can you show photos of the seatbelt clip so we can see how it's broken? I'm not sure if they sell that part separately or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
If you have some real deep nicks and dings you might have to go with something a little more coarse. Its a very easy project and removing the trim pieces will actually take longer that the actual sanding process. Reassembly is a breeze. Just make sure you keep with the original surface grain. The 400 will take it down a little smoother than the factory texture but I prefered that look. Let me know how it turns out.
I once contemplated doing that myself, but thought that it might turn out poorly. Was there a particular type of 300 grit paper that you used? Got any pics of the before - and after results?

Cheers!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I once contemplated doing that myself, but thought that it might turn out poorly. Was there a particular type of 300 grit paper that you used? Got any pics of the before - and after results?

Cheers!!
I'm sorry I don't have any before photos of the aluminum trim but I would be more than happy to post up some after photos when I get the car back on Tuesday or Wednesday(gettting new exhaust installed and front and rear lips painted and installed)

Just use automotive wet sand paper(its usually dark grey), there's really no way you can screw it up as lomg as you keep with the direction of the original grain marks. My only other suggestion would be to make sure you don't hit one area too much and create a dip, the sanding takes about 25 minutes depending on the condition of your trim, deep nicks might take a little more effort.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I have a few knicks in my trim, and to be quite honest, I never even notice them. Less time worrying about the small shit means more time to drive!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
I have a few knicks in my trim, and to be quite honest, I never even notice them. Less time worrying about the small shit means more time to drive!!!
Valid argument however I live in a place called Chicago and we have a season called winter and about the only time I get to spend with my Z4 from Nov-March is DIY projects so why nottake advantage of the down time and make the car perfect?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Congratulations! Great car, and you'll enjoy it!

"Inspections" are the terms for maintenance intervals--which are pretty much the same IIRC as with the E46 M3. Inspection I includes valve adjustments and oil, brake fluid, check of rotor thickness, pads; Inspection II valves again plus transmission and diff fluids, oil, check of rotor thickness, pads, brake fluid.

Most of us tend to change out the fluids more frequently than those intervals. Oil at 5,000-7,500, diff and transmission at or around Inspection I, along with power steering fluid (keeps the hoses and pump happier), and coolant. If you take your car to the track, the general consensus seems to be changing out the oil every 4 track days (supported by Blackstone analysis), and probably transmission/diff every season. Obviously brake fluid would be replaced at a 3-6 month interval too with track use (with a good bleed before each track day).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Valid argument however I live in a place called Chicago and we have a season called winter and about the only time I get to spend with my Z4 from Nov-March is DIY projects so why nottake advantage of the down time and make the car perfect?
All I can say to that is...thank God I don't live in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ditto, except I live in Canada. And where I live, the summers are so short that the ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbook makes special note of it. So, lots of time for DIY stuff!

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't have any before photos of the aluminum trim but I would be more than happy to post up some after photos when I get the car back on Tuesday or Wednesday(gettting new exhaust installed and front and rear lips painted and installed)

Just use automotive wet sand paper(its usually dark grey), there's really no way you can screw it up as lomg as you keep with the direction of the original grain marks. My only other suggestion would be to make sure you don't hit one area too much and create a dip, the sanding takes about 25 minutes depending on the condition of your trim, deep nicks might take a little more effort.
Well, sure if it's no trouble!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
SpeedN8
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info guys! I'll take some pics of the seat belt clip tonight and get it posted. It's the part that holds the seat belt next to the headrest. The top part of it is missing. It looks like it is something that would pop out or slide out.

-Nate
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
SpeedN8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
I can't help myself. I am meticulous when it comes to taking care of my vehicle so the scratches on the dash and console drive me crazy. It's a curse.

-Nate
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
SpeedN8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Congratulations! Great car, and you'll enjoy it!

"Inspections" are the terms for maintenance intervals--which are pretty much the same IIRC as with the E46 M3. Inspection I includes valve adjustments and oil, brake fluid, check of rotor thickness, pads; Inspection II valves again plus transmission and diff fluids, oil, check of rotor thickness, pads, brake fluid.

Most of us tend to change out the fluids more frequently than those intervals. Oil at 5,000-7,500, diff and transmission at or around Inspection I, along with power steering fluid (keeps the hoses and pump happier), and coolant. If you take your car to the track, the general consensus seems to be changing out the oil every 4 track days (supported by Blackstone analysis), and probably transmission/diff every season. Obviously brake fluid would be replaced at a 3-6 month interval too with track use (with a good bleed before each track day).
Thanks for the info. I guess it's time to take it to the dealer and get everything checked out.

-Nate
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
SpeedN8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebho View Post
have you seen this? http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653539

Seems like a good price for this stuff! I'd buy it if I were in your shoes...then the pieces around the shifter, buy some of the carbon vinyl and wrap em!

As I said, I'd totally do that if i were in your shoes.
I did. I've been in contact with him, however, I want to try the sandpaper idea first. He's wanting $1,000 for all three pieces plus my left piece of trim.

-Nate
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess it's time to take it to the dealer and get everything checked out.

-Nate
Forgot to include the intervals for the Inspections. They're somewhat condition based (use average MPG IRC to calculate "when"), but Inspection I will be around 22K-24K and Inspection II twice that. When you first put the key in the ignition the display at the bottom of the MPH gauge will tell you how many miles until Inspection. That is, unless someone messed up setting it at the last oil change interval, which occur in between the major Inspections under the BMW maintenance plan (and which most of us think is far too long between oil changes).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
SpeedN8
United_States
Rep

One other question. I love the speakers in the car but there's no sat radio or audio input. What's the best way of getting these added?