ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
SMG on Z4 any good?

Would you recommend buying a Z4 (2004, 40k miles) with an SMG? What should I look for on a test drive? I know that BMW doesn't usually make them quite well. Should I stay away and go for normal Auto or Step, or SMG is quite reliable?
      01-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

go for a manual dude ... smg is pretty crappy to live with on a daily basis. Especailly the ones in z4 is the second or first gen so it is even worse than ones on the m3 which i drove a while. Its almost impossible for smooth shift.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

when you test drive it... don't drive it like an auto with step.

i think it takes a couple of days to get use to shifting with the SMG, but once you figure it out im sure you will love it.

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
i got two cars in right price and spec, but the main issues are engine and gearbox. One with 3.0 is SMG, while other is 2.2 170hp manual. Im thinking of going with manual but its a much weaker engine though its fine for city and with manual could be half quick. I will check out the SMG but what Mike said is what I heard in past .. h.mmm.

thanks guys.
      01-30-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

do they both have sport mode?

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

I had an '04 3.0i SMG for 1.5 years. It took me less than a week to learn to drive the SMG perfectly smoothly. It's like when you first learn to drive a manual. There's a short learning period. I can drive the Z4 SMG so smoothly that the passenger would think I have a regular automatic. It can shift pretty quickly, too.

Between the 3.0i and a 2.2i? That's a no brainer. Go for the 3.0i. The SMG, even though it's not as good as the E46 M3's SMG2, can be pretty fun as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

I have the SMG, and i just love it. Its cool because it is still basically a (fool proof) manual when you want it to be, and a full auto when you dont, so anybody can drive the car. I let me my 61 year old mom take my car for a spin... which is pretty damn cool as she is completely clueless as to how to drive a manual.
I'd go with either the 6 speed manual, or the SMG. Its your call, but the SMG sure has its advantages. Like what was previously mentioned, in sport mode: the shifting is extremely fast.... It has 5 different shift speeds. With sport mode Off; as well as driving it very casually, it shifts somewhat slowly to maintain the smoothness of a traditional auto. When you really gun it or keep the revs high it sacrifices smoothness for speed, and then you notice the shift times decrease significantly. With sport mode on, and really gunning it through the gears, it'll shift faster then you could ever hope to manually, all things considered.

Another thing the SMG does; is that it rev-matches for you.... since there is no clutch to work (on your behalf I mean). So each and everytime, it rev-matches flawlessly as you downshift. Its also a great transmission to first learn how to operate a manual on, as its a good introduction to the operational principles of a typical manual... kind of a half way point between auto and full manual I mean.

One more thing it does is that it wont let you stall the engine, no matter what. If you approach an intersection, it'll keep lowering the gears if the rpm's drop below 1k-1100 rpm I believe it is. You also have full control over the gears. If you want to start off in 2nd, 3rd, or even 6th gear, you potentially can. The car will keep working the clutch until it doesn't have to anymore. 1st gear I find is very short, and i have to shift up in no time, so I usually put it in 2nd and use that as my "1st gear".
      02-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
I have the SMG, and i just love it. Its cool because it is still basically a (fool proof) manual when you want it to be, and a full auto when you dont, so anybody can drive the car. I let me my 61 year old mom take my car for a spin... which is pretty damn cool as she is completely clueless as to how to drive a manual.
I'd go with either the 6 speed manual, or the SMG. Its your call, but the SMG sure has its advantages. Like what was previously mentioned, in sport mode: the shifting is extremely fast.... It has 5 different shift speeds. With sport mode Off; as well as driving it very casually, it shifts somewhat slowly to maintain the smoothness of a traditional auto. When you really gun it or keep the revs high it sacrifices smoothness for speed, and then you notice the shift times decrease significantly. With sport mode on, and really gunning it through the gears, it'll shift faster then you could ever hope to manually, all things considered.

Another thing the SMG does; is that it rev-matches for you.... since there is no clutch to work (on your behalf I mean). So each and everytime, it rev-matches flawlessly as you downshift. Its also a great transmission to first learn how to operate a manual on, as its a good introduction to the operational principles of a typical manual... kind of a half way point between auto and full manual I mean.

One more thing it does is that it wont let you stall the engine, no matter what. If you approach an intersection, it'll keep lowering the gears if the rpm's drop below 1k-1100 rpm I believe it is. You also have full control over the gears. If you want to start off in 2nd, 3rd, or even 6th gear, you potentially can. The car will keep working the clutch until it doesn't have to anymore. 1st gear I find is very short, and i have to shift up in no time, so I usually put it in 2nd and use that as my "1st gear".

Z4's SMG doesn't have 5 different shift speeds like the SMG2. It has 2 - in sport mode or not in sport mode.

And yes you can stall in a SMG sometimes. Happened to me 2~3 times in my '04.

It's not a good idea to always take off in 2nd gear, you're wearing out your clutch prematurely.

Last edited by GP20; 02-01-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^I think you're right about the SMG2, its been a while since I read up on it... what year did that change over happen?
I've never stalled mine, no matter what. :shrug: maybe its just the luck of the draw, or your driving habits are different.
I know about the 2nd gear starting, but when I need to gun it at an intersection it helps, as 1st gear is so bloodly low, it drives me nuts.
      02-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
knuklz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw Z4 3.0Si

How would you compare the SMG vs Manual Performance Wise?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #11
SystemR
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Boxster, formerly 05 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
^I think you're right about the SMG2, its been a while since I read up on it... what year did that change over happen?
I've never stalled mine, no matter what. :shrug: maybe its just the luck of the draw, or your driving habits are different.
I know about the 2nd gear starting, but when I need to gun it at an intersection it helps, as 1st gear is so bloodly low, it drives me nuts.
i don't believe they ever put SMG2 into the Z4, M3 only?

To op: if you're interested in driving stick, the z4 is extremely easy to drive. i think it took a week b4 i was comfortable driving it to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #12
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
I drove with stick before, and i can do this pretty well, no issues there. My main concern with SMG is the reliablity bit. I heard they are not that reliable... I was wondering how to tell if its pretty beat up..

my choice between 2.2 and 3.0 at this point is color and engine. 2.2. with manual is not that bad, and has all the right options i want, color included. the 3.0 doesnt have sport seats and is this barbera red or whatever its called on the z4. its maroon metallic basically and i am not sold on that one, just not my color.
      02-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
Hallatauer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0l SMG

I have a 2003 with SMG and love it. Only requirement is that the car has the sports option. SMG in normal mode is fine but it shifts too slowly for any type of spirited driving. Sport mode and SMG is a great combo. SMG in auto mode sucks and that option should be ignored. Anyone who trashes SMG probably has never driven one or didn't know how to drive one. JMTC
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
I had an '04 3.0i SMG for 1.5 years. It took me less than a week to learn to drive the SMG perfectly smoothly. It's like when you first learn to drive a manual. There's a short learning period. I can drive the Z4 SMG so smoothly that the passenger would think I have a regular automatic. It can shift pretty quickly, too.
X2, takes a little learning but once you "get it" the SMG with sport mode is AWESOME, and it's a fast shift from the stick or the paddle on the wheels! What I love is you can have fun shifting on acceleration then flick the stick to the side and you are instantly in auto mode at any speed. It is without a doubt the most flexible and fun system I have ever driven and when that sport button is on, watch out!

Appreciate 0