ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
I'm so freaking steamed right now!

It's a nice afternoon so I decide to run some errands in my Z4. I end up at Lowes as I'm looking for some shelving for my garage. The lot is damn near empty as it's 5:15 on a Friday afternoon, so I park in a row not near the front door away from everyone else.

I get into the store, find my shelving at an unbelievable price but realize that it's probably not going to fit in the car. I go back out to the parking lot as I'll run home and switch vehicles and come back for my items. What do I see when I get to the lot, a 4 door Chevy Avalanche parked close to my car! If the truck had been parked in the middle of the space I would have been fine but it was closer to my driver side door.

Long story short, I go back in to purchase shelving as it could fit in the passenger area but I wait about 20 minutes to see who owns the truck. I then see this elderly couple coming towards the truck (probably late 60s). I realize I can't have the discussion with them that I really wanted too. They see me in the trunk of my car and I can tell they are a bit nervous. They load the truck and the gentleman pulls the truck up so that the wife could get in! I ask if she had any problems getting out and she stated "It was tight but I didn't hit your pretty car!"

With that they left me in the parking lot biting a hole in my tongue!

Sorry for the dissertation but I just don't get people some time.
      10-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

LOL. Seems to happen to me too. Go to the store ie Target or something and park at the very end of the lot by myself with no cars around. Come out, tons of spaces available close to the entrance and there is always the most beat up car parked inches from me. Seriously WTF. Understand your rant.
      10-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yeah, I just don't get it. In this case though while the parking makes no sense I guess they did take care not to ding the car. But it's a lot of work when another parking spot would have done just as well....
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

People are weird. No harm no foul though, right?

At work I always park next to a curb, and always as close as possible. The curb spots are usually at a slight angle so it's slightly wider than the other ones -- why I always park there. Stupid people sometimes literally park OVER the line into my spot so they can have more room. I mean, WTF! Get your own curb spot, son!

People who drive large vehicle tend to be the worst. It's as if they have no sense of how obscenely large their vehicles are.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i

I understand what you're going through.

The other day I went to the mall to buy some new clothes. I pull in the parking lot and park far away from everyone else because I don't want anybody to dent my car. My girlfriend calls me and I talk to her for about 5 minutes. Just as I'm about to get out of my car, a lady pulls up right next to me and proceeds to park very close to me. I'm like wtf! Out of all the god damn parking spaces available closer to the mall, she pulls up right next to me

I just don't get people sometimes either.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

I have almost taken to parking closer since every time I park out in the "boonies" some one parks their vehicle in the spot next to me. Even if there are several other spots available they still pick the one next to mine.

Lucky for me though at work we have several other BMW owners so we all park in the side lot with empty space between. Its a running joke in the office that we park in the no-ding lot..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshizzo View Post
I understand what you're going through.

The other day I went to the mall to buy some new clothes. I pull in the parking lot and park far away from everyone else because I don't want anybody to dent my car. My girlfriend calls me and I talk to her for about 5 minutes. Just as I'm about to get out of my car, a lady pulls up right next to me and proceeds to park very close to me. I'm like wtf! Out of all the god damn parking spaces available closer to the mall, she pulls up right next to me

I just don't get people sometimes either.

I literally stuck around to have a conversation with the people as I really wanted to know why they parked next to me with all of the open spaces. The whole scenario changed when I realized they were older.

Didn't you want to ask the woman why she parked next to you?
      10-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Ditto, same moronic behavior here in LA. You'd think a town saturated with exotic cars would have more common sense. Unfortunately ignorance and apathy are rampant.

As far as educating the offender - the human mind is a negative feedback mechanism. We remember correction/punishment when it's painful. I only had to underestimate the length of the Z's nose once and hear the scrape to not repeat it. Put another way, 'the burned hand teaches best'. No consequences = repeat offender.

So consider leaving Captain Stupid a love note. Point out that bad decisions have consequences.

Last edited by blender; 10-22-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

BMWs are like magnets. They just attract flakes. Happens all the time.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

First week of getting my car i got 3 dings. Sad fact is a majority of people don't really care to have nice things or take care of them (or yours)

And my girlfriend wonders why i'm a freak about my car?!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

I like to park my winter beater next to (NOT super close) nice cars... I figure Im protecting them. If they knew how anal I am about where I park my coupe they'd rest easy...

Winter beater

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Reminds me of a story from my brother back in the '90s in Santa Barbara. He had a '96 911 Turbo at the time. It was parked in the underground parking under his office, not near anything when it was parked, and not a lot that gets particularly crowded. One day he was heading out to his car and an elderly gentleman was getting out of a car very gingerly RIGHT next to it. It looked like the odds were high that the guy was going to bonk his car. Thankfully, he didn't. He passed the gentleman and gave him a friendly nod and greeting. And it was none other than... Kirk Douglas. Cool!
      10-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

glad to hear Kirk Douglas isn't a dinger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Reminds me of a story from my brother back in the '90s in Santa Barbara. He had a '96 911 Turbo at the time. It was parked in the underground parking under his office, not near anything when it was parked, and not a lot that gets particularly crowded. One day he was heading out to his car and an elderly gentleman was getting out of a car very gingerly RIGHT next to it. It looked like the odds were high that the guy was going to bonk his car. Thankfully, he didn't. He passed the gentleman and gave him a friendly nod and greeting. And it was none other than... Kirk Douglas. Cool!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #14
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetMan View Post
I literally stuck around to have a conversation with the people as I really wanted to know why they parked next to me with all of the open spaces. The whole scenario changed when I realized they were older.

Didn't you want to ask the woman why she parked next to you?
I tried. The lady didn't speak english well. All she kept saying was yes to me, which annoyed me even more. I just got in my car and parked somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
tjank123
Geh Hau Ab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5-35d, '08 ZM Coupe

Does anyone get annoyed when they see some idiot taking up two parking spots! The typical car I see doing this is a corvette or hummer. A co-worker of mine likes to place an empty shopping cart right next to the offending vehicle--but not touching it. He insists on waiting to see the reaction of the driver. A little passive aggressive, I know.
      10-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclem05 View Post
Ditto, same moronic behavior here in LA. You'd think a town saturated with exotic cars would have more common sense. Unfortunately ignorance and apathy are rampant.

As far as educating the offender - the human mind is a negative feedback mechanism. We remember correction/punishment when it's painful. I only had to underestimate the length of the Z's nose once and hear the scrape to not repeat it. Put another way, 'the burned hand teaches best'. No consequences = repeat offender.

So consider leaving Captain Stupid a love note. Point out that bad decisions have consequences.
Thing is, in the unlikely event that people this ignorant would even remember which car they parked next to, doing something like this would just perpetuate their impression that BMW drivers are a bunch of anal-retentive assholes. Actually, the idea to leave an empty shopping cart next to the car after you pull away isn't a terrible idea -- a sort of "how would you feel if it happened to you" lesson which could be a little less off-putting in its subtlety. Then again, I'd feel a little bad if the wind or someone else knocked the cart into their vehicle and dinged it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjank123 View Post
Does anyone get annoyed when they see some idiot taking up two parking spots! The typical car I see doing this is a corvette or hummer. A co-worker of mine likes to place an empty shopping cart right next to the offending vehicle--but not touching it. He insists on waiting to see the reaction of the driver. A little passive aggressive, I know.
Taking up 2 spots is just asking to get f--ed with -- it never even crosses my mind to do it. If you have a shitty car, you're perceived as sloppy and inconsiderate. If you have a nice car, it's pretty arrogant and presumptuous. It would be even funnier if you put shopping carts on all 4 sides of the vehicle. That way they really have to think about it when they get back to their car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I never park close to any doorway I need to enter. Fact: most people are lazy and take the spots close up, God forbid they walk an extra distance. I feel for you, I'd have probably had that talk ... old enough to be driving for near 45 years, they should know better.
      10-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^+1
where i work all the nice cars can be found on the roof (which is the furthest to walk)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

+1
we call it the DFZ

dent
free
zone
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdejong11129 View Post
Lucky for me though at work we have several other BMW owners so we all park in the side lot with empty space between. Its a running joke in the office that we park in the no-ding lot..
We do that too At one point of time, we took it to a different level by parking with an angle so the cars were looking nicer from the office. Next day, as a joke, some big ass truck owners parked their trucks behind our cars so that we can't get out
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjank123 View Post

Arrrgh! A guy at my work has a Lincoln MKS and takes 2 spots everyday. He parks far enough away that he is not taking valuable spaces from anyone else and there are way more spaces than there are cars in the lot anyway, but everyone (including me) still thinks he's a douche. There are better cars than his in the lot, taking a single space each.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
I had an 'associate' that if he saw a guy taking up two spots when we were on the way to lunch etc... he would go WAY out of his way to make his point. He'd quietly excuse himself from the group and return (after whatever distance it was) with circular rings of paint hanging from his key ring. He felt he'd done the public a service.
Appreciate 0